6.25.2022

Don't you hate it when a company discontinues one of your favorite products? I just got up to speed on a great camera and, BAM, it's discontinued. And as far as I can tell there are no plans to replace it.... What to do?

 

TTArtisan 23mm f1.4 for L mount on a Leica CL. Wonderful.

You dig through cameras for years and then you find one that really speaks to you. It's small, lightweight and easy to walk around with but at the same time its 24 megapixel sensor, combined with great image processing, gives you about 95% of the quality you get using bigger and much more expensive cameras. You buy one and start working with it and over time come to trust its metering and white balance. Your hands find the right way to hold the camera. You find the best way to attach the camera to you with its strap. You learn the ins and outs of its imaging processes. You can judge battery life almost by intuition. 

And then....the retail universe pulls the rug out from under you and the camera becomes discontinued. Should you decide you want an extra body to incorporate into your small travel system your only recourse, over time, will be the vagaries of the used camera market. And, if my current experience is any indication, good condition-to-mint condition cameras will vanish quickly. 

I thought I would really enjoy the Leica SL2 camera more than any other camera I own. But....for some reason or other I find it to have the least magnetic attachment to me. Oh, it's great for work. The files are incredibly detailed and the dynamic range seems limitless. Even when working with video the camera is a superb commercial tool. But once you've finished shoot your jobs .... that's where the charm of the bigger and heavier system recedes. 

I find that when I need just the right look in a full frame camera for any subject matter that doesn't need to be printed large and with endless detail I actually prefer the "look" of the files I get with the SL cameras. And, if push comes to shove and I really want a specific color and tone palette in full frame that makes me smile every time, it's always the Sigma fp. Not the new fpL with the 61 megapixel sensor but the original 24 megapixel sensor model. 

But all these choices pale in comparison when it comes to choosing a camera to roam around through the streets of a city, or to bring along to a dinner party, or to take on a trip to someplace new. More and more I'm depending on the affable, comfortable, minuscule Leica CL. And a collection of small lenses that leverage its advantages even more.

I always meant to dig into my wallet and splash out for a back-up CL body. I have a TL2 but it's just not the same. I've always had a thing for creating systems based around two matching camera bodies. I dragged my feet when it came to my APS-C Leica. But then that day came last month when Leica announced that they had discontinued the CL. They made it pretty clear in interviews, etc. that they would be stepping away from "cropped" frame cameras to concentrate their efforts on full frame (35mm) sensor cameras. I found myself a bit sad because of the announcement but I hopped onto the web thinking I would track down a new, in the box, second unit to pair with the first one. How difficult could it be?

Well it seems that soon after the announcement people who had always wanted a CL, or people like me who found their first encounter to be a profitable one, rushed (ahead of me) to kill off the remaining inventory at all the big (and small) retailers. I'd see a used body listed at someplace like Camera West (in San Francisco) and by the time I clicked on the product it was already listed as "out of stock." 

After ending up late to the party at a number of online Leica vendors I finally asked one of my favorite shops if they could put me on a list or inform me when they got a nice, clean, relatively unused CL back in stock. 

I got an e-mail yesterday from my favorite Leica Store and I responded as quickly as I could. On Monday the camera will be on its way to me. I guess I should downsize my current inventory of stuff and sell off some of the excess but I don't really want to. I'd rather pull the batteries out of the cameras I am not currently using and put the bodies into temporary storage. Especially since I seem to have a habit of regretting my sales of favorite cameras and then ending up replacing them at more cost to myself down the road.

The Leica CL is very appealing to me for a number of reasons. My very first Leica camera was used Leica IIIf (red dial) that came with the ubiquitous 50mm f3.5 Elmar collapsible lens. That body is an almost exact model for the rounded ends and small size of the CL. In fact, I pulled the IIIf out of the filing cabinet and compared them. I can see exactly where Leica got their inspiration for the CL. They stole the design from...Leica. Steal from the best?

The IIIf was the camera I took with me on a solo trip to Mexico City back in 1980. Loaded with home-rolled Tri-X film it actually returned some very nice negatives. I was happy when I got back to the darkroom and realized that the 50mm had not yet hit its "expiration date." That camera was so small and unobtrusive that I could walk the streets of Mexico City at 2 in the morning, by myself, and never draw attention to me or to the fact that I was out photographing in the middle of the night. 

The digital CL is the direct descendant of those cameras from first 30+ years of Leica's golden period of growth and invention. The just discontinued CL is also a beneficiary of the L mount alliance and there is a range of great lenses available from Leica, Panasonic, Sigma and TTArtisan. Two of my favorites are from the Sigma Contemporary series of lenses. The 56mm f1.4 is an awesomely sharp and precise lens. You can shoot it wide open on a CL and it performs remarkably well. The other Sigma lens that is a tremendous value is the APS-C only 18-50mm f2.8 lens. If you don't need longer focal lengths these two lenses and two camera bodies constitute the most compact and powerful imaging system in all of the L mount camp. Sure, the TL2 is a bit smaller (not by much...) but it lacks the built in EVF which makes the CL so effective for photographers like me. 

I know as I type this that someone will chime in to tell me that I could have gotten any number of cameras with many more "features" or with bigger sensors, or with more resolution, or better C-AF for the same money I spent in getting this bare-bones camera but none of those factors make much difference to me. I have other cameras. They have features and spex galore. What they lack is simplicity and a streamlined approach to casual photography. 

I like the CL for its simplicity and for my dexterity with it. And I think the red dot is cute. YMMV. It usually does. 


I turned the air conditioning down last night and finally got a fabulous night's sleep which greatly improved my overall attitude today. It's still hot outside and a bit forbidding but I can roll with it better now. Added to that was a great swim practice this morning with an old friend in my lane. Fast, smooth, easy and happy. Starting to sound like the Seven Dwarves. 

Get the camera you want. Don't listen to anyone else. Retirement accounts. Pish. Those are for pessimists. 

20 comments:

Russell Parkinson said...

I brought my slightly used mint condition CL with the 18/2.8 pancake 6 months ago and can’t imagine a better camera, nor one with a history and allure like a Leica. I’ve added three sigma lenses 30, 56 and 90 and I feel I have the perfect system that will last me at least 10 years as long as I look after it. Who knows what state digital photography may be in. Everything gets discontinued at some stage.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hi Russell, If you are a fan of 35mm equivalent lenses you might also try the Sigma Contemporary 24mm f3.5. It works beautifully on the CL and the images are quite lovely.

Biro said...

Kirk, I tried more than once to buy a CL recently. Always out of stock. So, I'll settle on my Fuji X-E4 to fill that slot in my bag. Also, I'll bet you could cover at least half the cost of your second CL by selling off your TL2 - which you admit you're having a hard time bonding with. The lack of a viewfinder is what puts me off.

Gordon R. Brown said...

Black or silver for your second CL?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hi Gordon. I should have tried for a silver, for Summer, but I'm such a traditionalist that when a black one came available I just jumped on it...

Dick Barbour said...

Found a CL at MPB, along with your recommended Sigma 24/3.5. Thanks, Kirk, hope I like it as much as you do!
Dick

Anonymous said...

On the Leica CL the focus point tends to wander when you touch or brush the LCD screen. A double tap with your finger returns it to the center point.

Mike Marcus said...

As much as you love the CL with the Sigma lens, I think I likely would too. But I also seem to perhaps equally love my old GX8 with its Pany 14-140ii for the travel and walk-about town photos they produce. Plus I still have $$$ left in my pocket and a G9 that matches up nicely with that setup and the rest of my MFTs kit. So, at 75, I think I have come to the time "to know when to hold them."

Chuck Albertson said...

My first digicam was a Leica X2, with the fixed 24mm Elmarit lens, and I still have it. Leica's optics head says it was the first lens they designed with their new performance specs in mind, and it shows. I can get sharp prints from it up to 18" x 24", if I'm not shaking too much when I shoot the picture, and the color is great.

Be sure to pick up a couple of extra batts for that CL. Once it's discontinued, those supplies will dry up.

Anonymous said...

The Leica CL might be discontinued, but your copy will work for years to come. Perhaps get another one - gently used, if possible. If not now, then some time down the road, when the enthusiasm following a product being discontinued dies down. That’s what I did to get most of my Nikon System 1 gear. I saved a lot of money over the years doing that. In fact, I was out using two bodies and two lenses from that system this morning, while waiting to have my car serviced.

Craig Yuill said...

The previous comment was posted by me, anonymously, by accident. Sorry!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Chuck, About the batteries... They are interchangeable with the batteries for the Sigma fp and fpL as well as several different panasonic cameras. Plenty to go around for right now. I like the Sigma batteries because they are $40 each at B&H. Cheaper than the Leica versions but probably better vetted than the third party versions.

Thanks. KT

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

And that's another reason I like the CL. Good sources of inexpensive batteries. A rarity for Leica.

Roger Jones said...

Great minds think alike, or it's ESP or the Universe is talking, or whatever. Maybe I should stop reading your blog? It's costing me money.......I just purchased a CL in like new condition to go with my FP and my L mount glass, now what? Road trip!!!

I wanted another Leica to go with my M4-P for years now, but could not bring myself to spend the money, not because I couldn't afford it, but because I think it's frivolous, it's just a camera. Well on my 71 birthday 2 weeks ago my wife said, you should buy that CL you found. I asked why? Her response was, just because, so I did.

Well, well, well, it doesn't stop there, once I pulled my finger out of the dam I started thinking...................that's me thinking, I said to myself, self, remember 36 years ago when you swore that when you retired you'd buy another 1985 Mercedes Benz 300 CD TD (I had one, but had to sell it as I was a single parent with my oldest son at that time, and couldn't keep it) and I said yes, I do remember,..... well low and behold I get a call from a guy who asks if I was still looking for a 1985 Mercedes Benz 300CD TD, and I said yes, yes I am. I'll be testing driving it tomorrow. The Benz has been stored 13 years, one owner, he was a car collector the car only has 162,000 on it. Stand by for an update.

Doing another photo road trip again with a Leica, and Mercedes was/is on my bucket list, but life happens, and dreams get shoved to the rear as reality sets in.

Fast forward 35 years or so, here's my second chance again so I'm going for it. This all started with my younger son who's now 18,(his mom my wife is 20 years younger than me) and going off to college in 2 months started looking for a car, (he has a Toyota now) what did he find? You got it, a 1985 MB 300CD TD so he calls the guy and here we are. He said to me, "I found your car", and I said what car? Your Benz, you should buy it, and then give it to me when you really retire, or died whichever comes first, THANKS kid, and not to worry about his tuition for the next two years, it's paid for through scholarships. He works for Starbucks as a Barista, he has Health benefits with a 401k retirement plan, ya at 18. He's smarter than me. As for my older son he's in the medical field like I was and doing fine.

Test drive tomorrow CL will be here in 4 days. Have Google Maps................ On June 28th there'll be a show on HBO Max called Endangered, it's about the Press in today's America.

Matt O'Brien said...

" Don't you hate it when a company discontinues one of your favourite products?" .

But are you not so so fortunate that you found it in time. I discovered this camera a few days before the 'close out' announcement and could not find a European site with it in stock. There is six years warranty, which gives plenty of time for an alternative to emerge.

Leica definite definite that there will be no further 'crop' cameras. My hope is that the subsequently announced Leica Panasonic partnership may bring forth 'maybe' a full frame
evolved version of the CL or phrased differently a mini version of the SL2.

I suspect that there is a space to be filled and will watch out for any such developments.

Enjoy your twins...

Matt O'Brien said...

Typo.... please correct

Leica definite definite that there will be no further 'crop' cameras.


Leica appear definite there will be no further 'crop' cameras.

Dogman said...

Every single camera I now use regularly has been discontinued. Some of them discontinued over a decade ago. They still work perfectly and the best part is that replacements are available really, really cheap.

MikeR said...

Yeah, it was a bummer when Argus left the biz.

JC said...

I'm going to be really, really unhappy if there isn't a follow-up to the Panny GX8s. Mine are long in the tooth. While the current sensor is good, as much as I need, I worry because it's not "modern" and could somehow get left behind in the updating and off-camera software, especially if Panasonic simply abandons the line and the batteries.

There are lots of cameras out there that aren't much bigger than the GX8s and have compact lenses that are good enough for me, but I also want the 4/3 aspect ratio and small lenses. My Z6/7II twins are fine cameras, but I really have grown to find the aspect ratio more and more annoying. (Not a landscape guy.)

Phil Stiles said...

It was about two years ago that there were some special deals on the CL. A street shooter's kit with body + lens that wasn't much more than body alone. I almost pulled the trigger, but then rumors abounded that Leitz was getting ready for the CL2 and was clearing out old stock. I decided to wait for the CL2. That didn't work out too well...
In the meantime, I've put together a Fuji kit that does everything I need. I've retired from sports shooting, so the long lenses and high frame rates that pushed me toward Sony are no longer needed. Back in the film days, I had a pair of M4s and four lenses: 21, 35, 50, and 90. My standard lens was the 35mm Summicron. Fuji is the one company that really plays on my Leica nostalgia. An X100V is the closest equivalent to the old M4/35mm that I've found, and I love it!