3.28.2023

The Leica Q2 is a very nice Monochrome camera. I'm wondering just how much better the dedicated monochrom model might be....

 



My tip about surviving a blood test: Visualize your favorite camera. Now visualize photographing your favorite image with the camera. If this doesn't work just whimper and cry until it's over...

After going over some details pursuant to the upcoming multi-person portrait shoot this afternoon I looked at the mess I'd made on the dining room table. There were multiple camera batteries, a Leica Q2, a Leica SL2 and a Sigma fp layered over the top of a bundle of brokerage statements and notices from Medicare. I wanted to choose a camera and lens to take with me on a long walk to my bank. It's smack in the middle of downtown. I thought I wanted to play with the Leica SL2 and the Sigma 65mm lens but in the end the smaller size and the intriguing (to me) 28mm focal length of the Q2 won out. I grabbed an extra battery for my pocket and put the Q2 over my shoulder. Then I headed out. 

I haven't had any cash in my pockets since I was in Vancouver, Canada last November. Just don't use it anymore. And, like film, I don't really see myself transitioning back. ApplePay is safe and easy. Everyone accepts it. I don't have to deal with ATMs or other points of failure. But every once in a while stuff conspires to put cash back in my pocket. Yesterday I got a reimbursement check (very partial) for my recent dental check-up. A whopping $48. I decided to incorporate a physical visit to my local, one location bank to cash said check. And after the SVB imbroglio I wanted to make sure my commercial bank was still alive and kicking. They were. They cashed my Medicare reimbursement check and didn't even need to see my I.D. Why would they? I've been working with the same cashier for a couple of years. 

I like my bank. They are responsive. They are local. The CEO is an old pal from Dell Computer. He used to be the CFO there. My personal bank officer is a guy I swim with named..... Guy. When I opened an account with them I asked about fees and charges. Guy just laughed. Jim just laughed. "We'll never charge you a fee. Ever." That's a bank I can enjoy. I'll just remember to keep less than $250,000 there on deposit. 

With my $48 shoved into my pants pocket I continued my walk with the overriding objective of just walking, looking and making images of stuff I wanted to see photographed. I have to say that after fits and starts, and stops with the Q2 I now see why so many people are enamored with the camera and why it's so popular. It just exudes quality and precision. And the images that pop up on the screen after I press the shutter button seem a cut above everything else I shoo with. 

Lately I've been doing more and more black and white with that camera. Sometimes I shoot raw and then convert to black and white by trial and error, and more trial and error while at other times I find myself surrendering to the BW HC mode in the camera menu, enhanced with a little customization of the contrast. Which all brings me to the point of wondering if the Monochrom version of this camera might be even better in its representation of black and white images. 

I've reached out to an old contact at Leica and requested a Q2 Monochrom loaner. I have every indication that they'll send one along. After all, in the past they've sent along a 15mm Biogon, an M8, and three different Summarit lenses for me to test. As well as a 35mm f1.4 Aspherical and an M9. I can't wait to try it out. I have some projects in mind that are a nice fit for the parameters of the camera and lens. And black and white.

Life is short. I'm impatient. I want to go right to the source. I don't have the time or inclination to monkey around with half measures. If the Monochrom is as good as I think it might be I'll snag one for long term use. Why not?

Does anyone reading this have any direct experience with the Q2 Monochrom? I'd love to hear about it. 

Thanks, KT

P.S. Austin is hosting the Country Music Television Awards in our downtown this week. What does that mean? Well a bunch of inconvenient street closures mixed with a bunch of really, really shitty "music" for the unwashed. Do you love, love, love country and western music? (Not counting Bob Wills or Willie Nelson) Then you might want to stop reading the VSL blog because with the exception of Mick Jagger's song, "Heartbreak Hotel" I think that almost all that genre of music, done over the last 30 years, is absolute crap.

And I hate to see Austinites inconvenienced in their own downtown for the benefit of companies profiting from  a bad "art" and a crowd with bad taste in music.


Cheers!

15 comments:

John Krumm said...

Well, all I can say is that it will produce images that are more detailed. The main difference besides that is the weird mental effect of shooting a digital camera that is incapable of color images. Eventually you accept it and then increasingly prefer it, in my experience. In some ways, it also feels like true raw, not going through the bayer interpolation.

In the end, no one will care that much because we are all looking through screens, but I have found the prints are extra good (with my converted Nikon Z6). So I have a box of extra good prints that almost nobody sees.

Doug said...

I owned the Q2M for a few months for have not used the Q2. I was smitten with the image detail and tones and really enjoyed shooting it with a yellow filter attached. The form factor was almost perfect, as you know from shooting with the Q2. I agree with John above that there is something mental about knowing you can only shoot B&W without a color option, kind of like having FP4 or Acros loaded in the film camera.

Why did I sell it? The 28mm lens. It produced beautiful images, but I couldn't fall in love with that focal length. If Leica ever makes a QM with a 40mm lens, sign me up!

JC said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibCNoLSKa7E

Hugh said...

What is this “cash a check” I hear of? Don’t you just photograph them with your phone like we do in Europe?

Not many actual bank buildings left to visit here anyway :)

Anonymous said...

I love B+W and my Q2. On Monday I almost added a Q2M... I simply could not part with my Q2 and couldn’t justify adding another. The results I get from SilverEfex and PS conversions are excellent but I still ca’t help wondering about what the Q2M could add. I look forward to post on it.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hugh, So interesting! When you photograph the check with your phone does your phone hand you cash money to spend? Or how does that work? Does someone load your phone with bank notes? I'm just baffled by this...

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

JC, that was just absolutely dreadful. Painful to listen to. Never in my house, office or car....

Luke Miller said...

Can't speak to the Q2, but I shoot with the M240 and M246 which share the same 24 MPX sensor. The M246 B&W files are amazing and appear to be from a much higher MPX camera than the M240.

Robert Roaldi said...

I'm ok with Hank WIlliams.

Frank Grygier said...

Dear VSL,
I am writing to express my sincere gratitude for writing this blog post about the Leica Monochrome Q2 camera. I was particularly impressed by your insights into the camera's potential image quality and ease of use.

As a photographer myself, I have long been a fan of Leica cameras. I appreciate their commitment to quality and their dedication to craftsmanship. The Monochrome Q2 is no exception. It is a truly beautiful camera that produces stunning images.

I was also impressed by the camera's ease of use. The intuitive interface and well-designed controls make it a pleasure to use, even for those who are not familiar with Leica cameras.

Overall, I am very happy with the Leica Monochrome Q2. It is a great camera for both professional and amateur photographers alike. Thank you again for your review.

Sincerely,
Baird

Richard said...

I haven’t used a cheque (check) in many years. If I did receive one I’d photo it like Hugh says. The money goes into your bank a/c and you use it in the usual way with cards or Apple Pay etc. If individual needs paying “remotely” we use online bank transfers to their a/c.

Hugh said...

Haven’t really used cash much for a few years…. I get some out of a hole in the wall once every month or so for tips.
My nearest bank branch is about an hour drive away.

:)

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Gotta find that hole in the wall. Sounds great. Bank branch an hour drive away? Mind-boggling. We're surrounded by banks. One more banking ?. If you have a business and your business accepts cash money from clients are you obligated, in your country, to physically deposit that cash into your business account? You can't just snap a pic of the cash money and consider it deposited. Right?

Or am I thinking about the tax laws all wrong?

Terry Manning said...

Chris Stapleton is the best country artist I've heard in a long time. Miranda Lambert is fine when she's not doing the stuff that sounds like parodies of country swing.

Anonymous said...

Well, I live in Australia and the ANZ bank, one of the big 4 banks, has just announced they are going 'cash free' in some of their banks.
No bank heists then.
I love cash but I think I'm in the minority.
All the best, Mark