6.27.2022

One Lens, Two Looks.

 



I recently photographed 15 attorneys in a temporary studio at a hotel. I used the Panasonic GH6 and the 42.5mm f1.2 Leica lens. I was very happy with the raw files from that set-up. But I was curious by how much the overall image quality had improved since the days when I was running around shooting everything with a Panasonic G9. I went to a folder from my time in Iceland and looked carefully at a number of images. Of course it's all apples and oranges since only a direct comparison between photographs shot in identical situations by each camera and lens combination is at all meaningful but it was still a fun exercise and showed me what I wanted to know in the moment. 

The two images above are of a light house or beacon in the harbor of Reykjavik. They were taken with the G9 fitted with a 15mm f1.7 Leica lens. While I am fairly certain the GH6 would have the overall edge when it comes to dynamic range I am equally certain that the G9, and the 15mm, are very good image makers even in 2022.

While I didn't have time to review again all the 5800+ images from the 2018 trip I did look through several hundred and the only ones I found wanting were flawed by operator error or just a floundering photographer pointing a very good camera at something or other that was boring before I tried to photograph it, boring as a photograph, and which will continue to be boring in the future... I certainly can't blame a camera for lack of insightful subject selection. 

Working on a small project right now and I'm having fun carting around the GH6 + GH5ii system with a handful of lenses. So much smaller and lighter than my bigger Leica system. And, for final use on the web the images are far, far better than they need to be.

The heat is taking a break today. Temperatures are forecast to stay under 98°. Thanks Mother Nature. I'm sorry we pissed you off. 


4 comments:

Eric Rose said...

I did a bunch of photography for our church yesterday. For grins I took my Nikon D800e and 80-200 f2.8 lens. Neither of which is noted for their lack of heft. By the end of the day my shoulder's were TIRED! Really tired. Using the GH5 and Panasonic lens for the past few years have made things too easy it seems.

That and not being able to hit the gym for two years. Lugging around the Nikon was worth it. I knew the 80-200 shot near wide open would give me exactly the look I wanted. I don't have a M43 lens that even comes close to my old Nikkor 80-200 f2.8.

For well over 90% of what I do in still photography M43 is just fine for me.

Every once in awhile (like today) I pack around an old Olympus EM-1. The files from that camera are still very VERY good even when compared to the new stuff.

Eric

Anonymous said...

The colours!blimey.

Mark

Anonymous said...

Those G9s really seem to come alive in your hands. Well done!

Paul Glover said...

Love my G9, and the 15mm 1.7 is crazy good (even if it does look a tad out of place on a comparatively large camera body).