11.12.2020

A work schedule update.

From: A Night With Janis. 
Zach Theatre.

Sony SLT-99 + 70-200mm f2.8 G lens.

As crazy as it may sound I really have decided to take the rest of the year off. I have one small project left to do. It's a one day video with my friend, Kenny, next Monday. After that I've turned down all other client work. The emphasis is on "client." I'll still go out with cameras and play on my own time/dime. 

There are several reasons I've decided to do this. First, my friend Michael Johnston (theonlinephotographer.com) has written so convincingly about the game of pool that I've decided I need to dedicate the rest of my life to learning it. In that way you'll have two dedicated sources of writing about pool and/or snooker for your amusement and education. No. Wait. Strike that! While Michael is an engaging writer I have NOT become enchanted by the game of pool...

But I have become a bit addicted to spending my free time with no scheduled limits. 

The real reason to take a break from commercial work is that it's become....boring. It's starting to feel like the movie, starring Bill Murray: "Groundhog Day." Every job lately has felt too familiar. The glitches too predictable and the client theatrics unchanged over the decades. 

I think, as Ian Fleming did about courage, that patience with clients is a finite store. Each person gets a sum of patience and goodwill to use through their professional life. When the client patience is fully spent one must exit the field of battle and either re-coup, re-direct or surrender. My hope is that a couple of months off will leave me refreshed and ready to re-engage. At best it's a nice trial run for a life of leisure. At worst I'll be chomping at the bit to get back in the race by mid-January. 

But this is not just a temporary "goodbye" to wholly commercial clients. No, non-profits are no less immune to my eccentric idea of temporal personal space. They are on the "no more this year" list as well. 

So, one half of my unemployment resolve is driven by boredom and a sense of endless, grinding deja vu. But the other half is a rational assessment of where the USA is with the Covid-19 Pandemic. The rate of contagion is accelerating. Really accelerating. And while Pfizer announced a successful series of tests for their vaccine it will really be months and months until it becomes initially available. And who knows how long until it's widely available by regular folks like me? Hell. I live in a red state. They may outlaw the vaccines as being witchcraft...

I'm no longer willing to take any chances with the virus that I don't need to. It only takes a brief encounter with one person whose judgement is poor to ruin everything. I think most functioning adults have realized by now that there should not be anything political attached to our collective response. Austin, Texas has a citywide mask mandate now and I think that's a good thing. It will be in place through the end of the year. 

I know that everyone talks a good game when they need to come to work. They wear a mask and, sometimes, even try to distance from each other. But I have no way of knowing if they spent their weekend in a packed choir practice, a mosh pit, or just sitting in a crowded bar somewhere out of town, soaking up the ambiance, and a deadly contagion, and then heading in to work after grabbing their well used face mask out of the ashtray in their car. I can vote with my presence or absence on this one. 

More time to write. More time to swim. More time to have lunch with Ben and Belinda around the dining room table as the leaves fall off the trees and the cold weather makes coffee taste even better.

And, being a contrarian, and just a hint mean, I'm having fun listening to client reactions as I explain to them that I don't think it's prudent to work right now. But thanks anyway. Call me after the vaccine comes out. I'll want to see that note from your doctor...

 

22 comments:

JerseyT said...

Time to write that second novel, maybe???

eric erickson said...

KT, I heard a meme before I retired that fit my situation very well. "if you have enough and you had enough, it is time to go" That's how I did it. My time had come and I knew I was ready, and fortunately I had the resources to accomplish that goal. I have never looked back, except that Covid-19 is curbing a lot of the activities that I had planned on doing in my retirement, but I am still healthy, and plan to stay that way. Stay safe, my friend. Eric

MikeR said...

Kirk, enjoy your "trial retirement." You just may find that you like it. Though, I hope you find enough photo and video play time to want to write about it. And billiards ... or snooker ... or pool ... or your watery pool ... and life in Austin.

My wife retired in June, and immediately went into political activism mode. Now that all that remains is waiting for the horse manure to stop, she's relaxing, and as she commented the other day, "Hey, I like this retirement stuff!" (She was worried that maybe she'd miss it. Naah!)

Michael Matthews said...

Could pose a serious threat to the continued existence of Precision Camera.

Craig said...

Good on you! As a long time follower, I've always admired your drive and initiative, but each adult needs to decide for themselves what is an acceptable level of risk, and given that you have little-to-no knowledge or control of the risks your clients take regarding coronavirus, you again show your wisdom.

Enjoy the time off.

Craig, Minneapolis

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks Craig!

MM, We'll make a judicious purchase from time to time. It's only a month and three weeks. And they deliver! KT

Zave Shapiro said...

You've gone from being a stills shooter, working alone or with one helper, to being part of a collaborative enterprise. And now you want to run, not walk, in the other direction. It's almost a different business. I'm looking forward to seeing through your eyes when you've recharged and your curiosity gets you out the door with a camera.

jiannazzone said...

Kirk,

I retired at the end of 2018 but continued to work in the equivalent of a consulting basis. The first year was a fairy even division of work, travel, and time at home. Plans for 2020 included less work. The pandemic has curtailed work and eliminated travel. I am finding that I enjoy my time at home with my wife. Part time work seems more of an intrusion now. We do look forward to being able to travel again.

I have no doubt you will stay busy.

Joe

crsantin said...

Good decision. When the end does come for each of us, I've yet to hear anyone say remorsefully, "I should have worked more". Enjoy the time you've earned and have fun. Spend it with those people who are important to you. Stay safe and healthy. I have 5 more years until I retire and I will be very ready when the day comes. I love working with my students and I still find my work rewarding but I fear there is nothing new in it for me now. Covid is in my school. We haven't had a full outbreak or spread but we've had a number of individual cases. Yesterday I sent one of my students home at the beginning of the day. He was sick and his parents forced him to go to school (stupidity is alive and well!). So now I have to worry about a possible Covid exposure. We were masked up but still, I worry. I look forward to having time for myself.

Robert Roaldi said...

Lattitude matters. All our leaves have already fallen.

dinksdad said...

My neighbor just got a nice pool table for free that someone was giving away on nextdoor.com. Only now he can't park in his garage because he turned it into his rec room.

Marriott said...

Good choice, Mike. As someone who retired 17 years ago, I highly recommend it. Busy or not busy both have their allure. Find a balance that works for you. The final destination that comes for all of us is unknown. Enjoy the present. If not now, when?

Chris Beloin said...

Greetings Kirk -
I hear you on COVID - our small state of WI now has a higher daily caseload than New York City did at its height of infection. Yet, due to political considerations which now seem to trump public health, we are limited on taking action to control it in our state.

Enjoy your time off and gets some good photos. Stay safe.

Chris

dasar said...

Enjoy Kirk, but please don't let Precision Camera fail ...
:-)

D Lobato said...

Well said. Enjoy your re-creation.

Unknown said...

Kt,
Far better to give up a little personal business now than to give up all of your future. The virus is trending upward at an alarming rate and it behooves us all to follow the guides of healthcare pros.
Enjoy your well earned time off. Time for once to do nothing at all if that is what you want. And time to do everything you had on your list but business had other plans for your time.
Jb

TMJ said...

"..patience with clients is a finite store. Each person gets a sum of patience and goodwill to use through their professional life. When the client patience is fully spent one must exit the field of battle and either re-coup, re-direct or surrender"

I agree and have been saying for some years that there is a finite number of clinician/patient interactions in one's professional life, (or professional/client). The number is not fixed but everyone knows when it is, that is those with reasonable perceptive qualities. Those without stumble on and make mistakes, losing the reputation they spent decades building up.

John Miller said...

Good for you! I think you'll find retiring isn't all bad at all and you'll start wondering if you'll want come back to working again.

I retired about 3 years ago and I really like not having a schedule to keep or show up for. I'm actually talking to my wife more too.
I do miss the work some, I was a photojournalist and the work was always different usually but I don't miss the not having lunch or having some time to shoot flowers when I wanted.

So enjoy yourself, enjoy your cup of coffee, your family but remember to keep taking those walks and writing about them!

Happy Trails!
John

Tom Vadnais said...

That's a very well reasoned decision, Kirk. I'm just glad you're going to keep writing! For many of us, reading posts from you has become a good part of our lives.

Thanks! And best of luck during your working photography/videography hiatus.

Tom

karmagroovy said...

Now that you aren't taking on new work, there's no excuse to give us what we really want... more in-depth swimming analysis! ;-) And the burning question we all want to know... are you a Speedo or Arena man?

pixtorial said...

As always, lots of reasons to admire you as a person. I seriously believe that, as you have the means to do so (due to a lifetime of hard work and disciplined financial decisions), sitting things out right now isn't just a good personal decision, it is a truly generous social one as well.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

KarmaGroovy, Speedo Jammers. the "Endurance" model. Almost bulletproof to UV and chlorine. But for googles right now it's TYR.