10.03.2022

The personal quest for images. Why it's different than working to a formula, a style or for a client.

 

Sweetish Hill Croissant.

Working for a client is a difficult process of sublimating what you think will be the best images into what the client thinks they want. Every so often you'll get a client that really hires you for "your style" but for the most part, at least from my experience, there is a raft of expectations about how the work will turn out and that provides a momentum towards safety and tradition. Generally work has to be sharp, composed in certain ways, and exposed to work well across different media. For most clients. The imposition of real visual excitement is actually far down the list for most buyers. Especially those far enough down the ladder to be fired if a commissioned photograph is not homogenous and universal enough. 

Jana at Little City Coffee House.

Developing a conscious style and then adhering to it regardless of the situation, the subject or even the way you feel in the moment is more or less an obsession. And as often as the strict obsession to repeat and repeat helps an artist (gee! I can tell that's an authentic Banksy!!!) it also locks an artist into becoming more like a Xerox machine than a creative spirit. In my mind every "style" plays out over time and the courage is in the abandonment of a contrived style with which you are bored but which everyone loves and the embracing of your next new thing. Moving on. Exploring.

An unconscious style is a whole different animal. It's the way you breathe, the way you stand, the way you cock your head and how you take your coffee. It's an unthinking way of existing and creating. It's fettered only by your intrinsic sense of self. It's the only true style.

Jana on 2nd St.

Then there's the personal quest for images. You make these because you are profoundly interested in how they will turn out; what they will say. These are images taken because you are interested in the subject, the event, the design, the light or the feeling of being in the middle of all those things. You would photograph this kind of work even if no one else ever saw the images or patted you on the head for your good work. They are the pieces of work that sometimes your friends don't like or your partner doesn't understand. But you make the work because you feel self-compelled to do it. And it makes you feel good about being an artist because it fills the scrapbook of your mind with great visuals and it can fill your stack of images with a readout of who  you really are. Shared or not. And it may be work you capture because you find yourself constantly in love with what's in front of your camera and the endorphins feel so good.

So, when I find a landscape-only photographer, or a black and white-only photographer, or a large or small format-only, or a documentary-only photographer I pause and wonder what is holding them back from the joy of trying it all and being free of the straightjacket of working to a formula. Or a small basket of formulas.

Parishioners at the Vatican Colonnade 

In the end, unless your work is so amazing that you change the course of art history, in a few short years, or maybe a decade or two after your death, all the work will have turned, metaphorically, to dust. No one will remember you walked around with a camera. Any money you may have made doing so will have long been spent. And any money you lost "investing" in all the trappings of your era of photography will be forever gone.

Something to think about when you toss a camera over your shoulder and head out to make an image. The famous magazine designer and teacher, Alexey Brodovich used to say to his students: "If you look through your camera and you've seen the picture before don't click the shutter."  

How long does it take to make the perfect photograph? The answer, depending on who you ask could be: "about 1/125th of a second." But just as easily one could say, "It takes a life time." 

I think we all eventually find out that we surround ourselves with ritual, tradition and gear because we have a fear of really trying something different. It's not just you and me; it's everyone. That's why when an artist really rises to a different level it's understood that somehow they pushed themselves over that line between what they had done before and what was really scary to do for the first time.

Or I could have it all wrong. But I think a photograph is both a document of a time, place and subject but also a window into the psychology and intellect of the photographer. 
Spanish Steps.

studio on San Marcos St.

Real camera. Real lens.

Teenage version of the boy.

Hot day in a cool stream. At Pedernales Falls State Park.

A glorious and happy lighting mistake.

Campaign photo for the Kipp School.

Schlotzsky's CFO cast as a baker.

Dance studio with Romi. Down on 6th.

Portrait work horse.

Siena.

Verona.

Just out of the pool and right onto the studio canvas.

The most perfect assistant in the history of the world.

Martin.

In the Kitchen at Sweetish Hill Bakery. 
Back when it was really Sweetish Hill Bakery.

9 comments:

adam said...

i was getting amused by photobook titles a while back and started thinking up ridiculous ones, then started taking images for them, it has been fun and given me something to focus on, I even have the first one back from the printers, I started by selecting pics taken in the course of my lockdown wanderings, then started taking them to fit the title or theme, I found a distinct difference going out to take pics of things rather than just choosing pics with them in, when the things become the main subject of the image, someone in the UK has just done a book about urinals, they have nice old victorian ones in his area, so he went out during golden hour for fun to shoot them, give them the full treatment

crsantin said...

Well it's like everything else really. We're here and then we're not and when we're not, it's not long before anyone knows we were ever here. That's a lot of nots. But while I'm here, I will create. Beats watching tv, which my dad used to call the idiot box. He was right.

Ronman said...

Great post, kirk. I've spent some time and capital on various photo endeavors, and before too long became bored with it. Not so much the photography aspect, or playing with good gear, or even the editing, but with the atmosphere and circumstances of the shoot itself. I then navigated the video waters and experienced much the same. These days it's all about a landscape discovered while on a hike, an old ruins with some mysterious history, or the backstreets and alleys of a worn down and discarded neighborhood. It was a slow process, but with time I've realized it's the experience itself I'm after. The camera is just a tool for documenting the experience. Good stuff.

Greg Heins said...

Thank you.

Robert Autrey said...

Kirk-Thought/hoped you would you would enjoy this tribute to a remarkable celebrity photographer.
Stay safe,
Bob Autrey
Mesa, AZ
- - - - -- - -- - - - -- - -- - - - -- - -- -- - -- -- -- - - -- - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - -- - - - - - -
Douglas Kirkland, 88 years of age just died. Here are some examples of his talent.

'I have a genuine philosophy. I do not want to make negative pictures about people, and so I do everything I can to help make them feel comfortable in front of the camera. That is what is going to control your picture, because you are alone if your subject is not with you. And that's the simple answer to getting a good picture,' says Kirkland when describing how he was able to get the personalities of his subjects to shine through."

https://www.instagram.com/douglaskirkland_/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=f834a840-e1d1-441c-b91d-6333bf881209

Mitch said...

Making money with your photography.

Making money because of your photography.

Feeding your creative desires and making images important to you, for whatever end-reason and end-use.

There's a Venn diagram in those 3 things I'm sure.

Seems we, who pursue Photography For Money, would like to be hired because of our photography. But even if that's the case, then inevitably we are sublimated and subjugated,creatively. So we end up following a formula whether we go in with that intention or are pressured (internally or externally) into it.

Sometimes I think I as a commercial photographer (and sometimes those who hire me) look for too much meaning in my work. When ultimately it's just a really cool and rewarding way to make a living. And breaking out, exercising, crossing boundaries becomes a dream. But I have had lots and lots of good experiences and have been to good locations all while out there creating disposable work, working for a living.

And dust? Though I shall become just that, my "work" is turning to shavings. 1/4 inch drill bit through stacks and stacks of DVD's and Blu Ray discs holding client jobs, archive materials, backups. Ran through with a Ryobi before committing them to the trash. Definitely purging for awhile now after your post focusing on breaking the leash. Having a harder time purging stacks of Ilford Galerie, selenium toned, fiber based prints , though.

Roger Jones said...

I don't think your wrong, I believe your spot on. I'm not sure, or I don't know if there is the perfect photograph, image. You have to keep trying, keep striving for that one image. What it is I do not know, but it's out there, I hope. I try not to limit myself to one subject. As my Aunt use to say "variety is the spice of life" she was so right.

The problem I'm running into now is to much equipment, and to much different equipment. I'm a firm believe in less is better, I'm not a collector. There are days/times that I can't figure out what to use so I don't go shoot I do something different. When I'm getting ready for a trip and I can't decide what to take I try to pack it all. That doesn't work either. So I'm limiting my gear to one digital, one film camera with the same mount 3 lenses and 2 flashes. The film camera has to be all manual, no auto just manual.

My son has been gone off to school for 3 weeks now and I'm so bored I walk in circles around the house/property. I don't go into town much as the "the election was FAKE" crowd roam the streets more now that the midterms are getting closer looking for trouble or anyone with a "fake" camera or long hair, that's me. What I should do is push myself out of my comfort zone and shoot these people ( I use that term loosely) with a 35mm lens, and film.

So I'm leaving for a week or ten days on a road trip, doing the bucket list, just me and my cameras looking for the "perfect image". The wife has to work at the hospital so she's staying home, the dog died two years ago, all my close friends passed 5 years ago, so it will be me my cameras, my music, and my memories of what was.

Have a excellent day

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Well said Roger. And I always like to remember what my favorite PhotoShop guru always says, "Happiness is a choice. Make smart choices."

Ron White said...

So…Your iPhone 14 Pro is out of the running.
I’m sure you will enjoy your trip.
Stay safe.