1.09.2018

Here is an image I made for Zach Theatre's upcoming production of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.


I worked in a blacked out theatre, using some of their work lights but mostly shaping light in little pools by using multiple, weakly diffused LED panels. The light was there to provide dimension and shadows, not just to increase illumination.

We worked with a Panasonic GH5 and the 12-100mm Olympus Pro lens attached to a Ninja Flame monitor so the art director and I could move lights and change levels in little steps until we both agreed that we'd gotten what we needed for a whole series of different poses and shots.

The illumination levels were low so I worried about file noise but needn't have. With a bit of noise reduction in Lightroom the image came right into line allowing us to use it almost life-size on lobby posters and, easily, in all our electronic displays; regardless of screen size.

The shoot took an hour and thirty five minutes from start to stop and generated dozens and dozens of different looks and variations.

The background was added in post.

It's challenging play. If you are in Austin it's well worth the price of admission.

Notes: I am back in Austin and heading back to the theatre to shoot a video interview this morning for a very different project. I got a good nights sleep last night and had the first cup of good coffee I've had in weeks this morning. 

I am quite fascinated with the new Panasonic GH5S camera and will be writing a bit about the Panasonic professional camera family (fast growing!!!) this afternoon; just to blow off some steam. I currently feel quite vindicated in my decision to through in my lot with the Panasonic/Olympus systems. Come back later to see if I actually got finished writing about deciding between the G9 and the GH5S. 

4 comments:

Wolfgang Lonien said...

Very cool image Kirk; good job!

As for the cameras: while I understand your interest in them - who of us would be immune to new products? - I'm not really sure if they would actually benefit you:

- the GH5s doesn't have IBIS, so you'd need some sort of gimbal, which loses the "run & gun" methods you seem to do
- the G9 definitely has good IBIS according to the first reports, but isn't really the video cam like a GH5 is

But I'm sure you're having the same thoughts already, and will report about your thought process.

Frank Grygier said...

I would have a GH5,GH5S and the G9 in my arsenal. This trio would cover just about any situation in both stills and video.

Michael Matthews said...

I’d guess it will boil down to whether those relatively big, fat photosites offer you some advantage in video production which outweighs the loss of IBIS. That could mean needing additional lenses with stabilization.
Odd, but seldom does a month go by in which I don’t regret ditching my Nikon D80 and its 10 MP CCD sensor. I’m not sophisticated enough to know what it is that speaks to me in the images it produced, but there’s something about its response in daylight...sunlight...that seems stronger, offering more clarity for lack of a better word. Maybe it’s just that fewer pixels mean more abrupt, clearly defined edges.

Noons said...

Just got one of those 12-100 f4 IS Pro lenses.
With my em5II the photo results are nothing short of spectaculer!
Can't wait to give it a try with video as soon as the weather improves.