6.20.2022

I've been cleaning out the studio. I looked in some boxes I hadn't gone through in half a dozen years. I found lots and lots of prints.





At one point in my photo-trajectory I had a habit of printing my favorite frame from every job or project. The only exception was the typical "headshots." Nobody really needed to see large prints of modern office workers standing or siting in front of seamless backgrounds. But everything that looked good to me as a print got the treatment. 

My process was simple. I'd select a frame, do a bit of post processing that would make images look better on printing paper and then send them over to my local Costco to be printed on their lustre surface paper at a uniform and mostly uncropped size of 12 by 18 inches. If I was impatient or just wanted to see what variations might look like I'd fire up the inkjet printer and make prints on Canon's Photo Paper Pro Platinum or Lustre. I always had the idea that the process of printing all the work I liked would quickly give me a huge variety of really nice photographs that I could place into custom configured portfolios when needed. 

But over time I realized that I never got around to showing a book anymore and that all the art directors and creative directors I wanted to work with were more than happy to go to my website and look around there. So now I have storage boxes upon storage boxes and hundreds and hundreds of large prints that I can't bear to throw out. I still like most of the images very much. 

It's fun to look through the boxes and shuffle through the prints. I can see the evolution of digital cameras over time but, also the disappointing realization that, in these sizes, the quality differences between the 24 and 36 megapixel cameras and the more "primitive" 6 megapixels cameras comes nowhere near to matching the hysteric promises and marketing of camera makers and their legions of reviewing minions. 

I guess if we all shot everything in very, very dark settings, and needed all of our printed pieces to be made as large 48 by 60 inch murals, you could make a decent case for the constant camera upgrade mania but if you are a rational human being (rare) and you can put images shot decades apart side by side for evaluation you'll most likely be disappointed to discover that every dollar spent after a certain point was just money being tossed onto a hot fire. 

In the images I randomly tossed in to fill out the visual component of today's blog there is an older (2012 era) micro four thirds camera represented, an older Nikon APS-C camera, a Canon 5Dmk2 camera, a Nikon D2X camera, and even a Fuji S5 camera. But laid out on the floor, adjacent to each other, each printed image looks sharp, mostly noise free and aptly color balanced. Much more alike than they are different.

Of the prints here the one of the kids is the one I like best. And it was taken with a camera most would consider the least competent. Sometimes perspective can be both valuable and a bit painful...

7 comments:

Gordon R. Brown said...

Any update to your recent post that sought input about photo printers?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Yes. The consensus was to forget it altogether and just send the files out. I'm still waffling. But what's new about that?
😵‍💫

Steve B said...

The photo of the children is great. I also really like the photo of the man in the hard hat

Roger Jones said...

I've retreated back in time, I should of done it years ago, I no longer care about the camera just the image. All cameras are good theses day and have been for years. Just pick what you like and go for it. It's a wasting.

Roger Jones said...

I've retreated back in time, I should of done it years ago, I no longer care about the camera just the image. All cameras are good theses day and have been for years. Just pick what you like and go for it. Time, it's a wasting.

Unknown said...

Once more the universe has both you & Thom Hogan making similar points at similar times ... https://bythom.com/newsviews/4k-is-the-current-sweet.html

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Sometimes Thom hits it right on the mark. We both have too much experience to take "random progress" seriously.