9.17.2023

Portrait of a Texas chef taken on the fly. Between video takes.


Johnny S.

I like to stay busy on the set so if we're between takes on a video project, and I have the time, I try to round up people for quick portraits. They are already working "on camera" that day and they are happy to pose. Most of the portraits done for myself are tucked in at the end of other work. I asked Johnny to walk into my mini-set and stand in front of my camera for maybe sixty seconds, during a break in the action. I shot 12 frames, all intended as square format photos, and we were done. He headed back to the video set and I headed over to the small inset studio to catch a few food shots before "taping" resumed. 

Some of my favorite shots come from working through breaks on sets. 

This image was done with a handheld Fuji MF camera and what we are calling, I guess, the "kit lens." It's the 35-70mm zoom for the GFX system. It's a thousand dollar lens but I was able to buy a brand new one during a sale when it was half that price. I couldn't resist....

And it's turned out to be a really good performer. Sharp and fast to focus. And a good focal length range to boot. 

Working in between work. An efficient way to get more images. 


4 comments:

Craig Yuill said...

Wow! Great photo! It reminds me a little of that photo you took several years ago of Kinky Friedman.

That your “kit” lens produces a great image is no surprise to me. I bought three recent-design pNikon “kit” lenses over the past year. Every one of them hits above its weight class, optically. It seems that Fuji is doing something similar. It’s good that good lenses don’t have to cost a fortune. Keep making great photos with this lens.

EdPescador said...

A face with character, very nice detail and monochrome rendering. Nice shirt, too, btw, from Academy. I get much of my “hi tech” fishing clothes with UV protection and Hats from Academy at bargain prices.

typingtalker said...

Terrific portrait.

Did you have a very white backdrop or did you "make one" in post? And if in post, how do you do it?

Thanks.

Bob F. said...

A wonderful portrait! Also liked the way you put "taping" in quotes as a way to note that the recording medium was almost certainly not tape. A few months ago, our state legislature was all riled up about news media "filming" law officers. Local TV stations had quit using "film" cameras for news when I worked in the business 50 years ago.