9.18.2023

Just finalized travel plans. First solo shooting trip in a long time.

 

Lemons in the Jean Talon Public Market in Montreal. By B. She shot this with her Canon G15 point and shoot. She's a better photographer than I am. I was walking around with some big, state of the art full frame camera and didn't get images half as good. 

I really enjoyed my last two visits to Canada. I'm happy they are still allowing Americans to travel there on vacations. That's very "Canadian" of them.  I have only been to three different cities there. Once, to Montreal, pre-Covid, with B. It was chilly on our late October 2019 trip but chilly for Texans in a welcome and exhilarating way. I was in Toronto back in early 2018 just in time for a blizzard, a quick tutorial on driving on black ice, and a series of video projects that were well received by the German company funding the whole shebang. We made a daring trip to Vancouver in 2022 during a welcome pause in the pandemic and, again, had a blast. Great hotels, great restaurants, great scenes. 

Of the places I've seen in Canada the one that is most compelling to me as a photographer is Montreal. It has a wonderful vibe, it's inexpensive to operate in without abandoning a bit of luxury, and the food scene is incredible. The Old Town has some terrific architecture and some of the neighborhoods in various parts of town are just ---- totally cool. I might even get to Quebec.

I've been anxious to get out of town and spend four or five (now six) days by myself with a good camera or two in tow. When I looked at all the travel destinations out there my thoughts were that I needed to let the European hotspots recover from a satanically hot summer and the overwhelming hordes of American and U.K. tourists. I'll give them a few months to decompress from the giant swell of Summer-Panic-Oh-My-God tourism. 

So, when I started looking around for a place to spend time, shoe leather, SD card memory space and what not I immediately pegged my next destination to be Montreal. 

There are no direct flights from Austin, Texas to Montreal but if you work the schedule correctly you'll find well scheduled flights from the major carriers that can get you from here to there in about six and a half hours. And then get you from there to here in about seven hours. Not at all outrageous and cheap as underwear from Walmart. (Just making fun of Walmart. I've never actually been in one....). 

I booked a room at a nice, small, boutique hotel in the Old Town for six nights. I'll take the bare minimum of wardrobe and buy what I need if I find out that I didn't pack right. I've scheduled one arrival day, on departure day and five days of doing nothing but walking around with a camera or two photographing everything that catches my eye(s), my attention. Oh, and also eating like I just got out of prison. No vegan diet that week. For damn sure.

B. encouraged me to go and shoot by myself. She'll be here holding down the fort and relishing her days without my constant mansplaining and anxious check-ins. We'll pick somewhere else to go for a different sort of vacation later in the Fall. 

Deep down I think most photographers relish (at least they should!!!) the idea of getting away from any and all schedules, clients, chores, routines and family obligations and just having unfettered time to walk around aimlessly, or even with good aim, taking photographs with their favorite cameras. I might even bring a small tripod and stay out later than my bed time making street photos by lamplight. It could happen. 

Go re-read my post: Lonely Hunter, Better Hunt. ( https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2011/10/lonely-hunter-better-hunt.html )

I'll be up north from the last week of September till the middle of the first week of October. If you are in Montreal and want to meet up for coffee at Crew drop me a note at the email on my actual website. I'm thinking of setting aside one morning to meet up, if anyone is interested. Don't plan on flying over from Tokyo just to meet me for coffee --- I'm not that interesting in person.

I love booking non-refundable trips. It's always the best incentive to follow through... $$$

23 comments:

adam said...

I've been getting some travel urges myself, haven't been away since 2019, probably something domestic but I have a whole vacation of travel and accomodation from 2020 I might be able to salvage, I think the international train should be ok and some of the other parts, I got refunds on some stuff already, hard to know, we're into covid season here so I'll probably go with a shorter journey, the fair comes to town next week which is about the most interesting thing to happen here photographically, they're pretty sick of me now I expect

spycamera said...

A blog is a blog mate it is your own journey, keep up the good work.

karmagroovy said...

Super jeolous. Me and the Mrs. had a trip planned last Fall to Montreal with a leaf tour through Vermont but we had to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances. My first food stop in Montreal was going to be St. Viateur Bagel as there's almost nothing as satisfying as a really good bagel with schmear and coffee. You can go there, but please don't say anything! ;-)

Dick Barbour said...

Another very nice place, a little downstream from Montreal on the St. Lawrence, is Quebec City. It's also French-speaking and has plenty of good photo ops. I think it would be worth your while to try to swing by there while you're in the area.
Dick

Roland Tanglao said...

i was just in montreal the week of august 21st for a mozilla all hands conference. What a great city!

I enjoyed la finca for coffee by the palais des congrès, fairmount for bagels (st. viateur is awesome as well) and if you like chinese noodles as i do :-) Nouilles de Lan Zhou 1006 St Laurent Blvd, Montreal, Quebec H2Z 9Y9. The people at Camtec photo 26 Notre-Dame Est might even have a nice leica or 2 :-)

Anonymous said...

Food eats vegan. Have a great week.

Jay

JC said...

Have a nice trip; never been to Montreal, but to different parts of Canada many times. I like traveling alone, doing unusual stuff when I can, and I often will take a "class" of some kind. Sailing, ski, scuba, canoes, etc. Non-motorized transport seems to be a theme. Paris is my favorite non-American city, and I've been thinking of taking a photo class there. Good thing about classes with locals is you tend to stay places, and see things, that wouldn't occur to you if you just use guidebooks and history to decide what to do. Of course, it all depends on how good the class is, how serious the teacher is, but with a little research, you can usually find a good one.

Frank Grygier said...

Look for the shadows like B. Have a great and safe trip.

Thomas Backa said...

Well now, what caneras to bring along?

Romano said...

Have a safe and nice trip! (Never been in Montreal, twice in Quebec city... and that was really worth a trip and a shot!)

Robert Roaldi said...

It's spelled "Jean Talon" but you probably knew that. He was some historical figure but not many people remember what he did. I'm fairly certain that I knew once.

With only 5 days in-country I'm not sure it's worth a side trip to Québec city. But if you get the urge, you can go downtown to downtown by train, there and back same day. Everywhere you want to visit in Québec city is within walking distance of the train station there, although you have to climb a big hill.

Trees should be turning colour during your stay.

Dick Barbour said...

Robert,
As I remember, there is a tram in Quebec City that takes you up the big (really big) hill. So Kirk won't need to stress his aging body.
Dick

Ed said...

Quebec on my list, along with Scandinavia, after clinical trials are done. You possibly don’t have a convenient Walmart to shop, and I can agree to boycott them as it just adds wealth to billionaires, but locally it is the best source of organic food, fresh produce, and pharmaceutical products. Also, Ralph Lauren clothes if you are into buying a product based on brand name. You might be surprised. It isn’t like everyone is in tank tops and farting.

Anonymous said...

Kirk,
I realize this will be a photo-centric adventure, but if you want to put in some laps, the swimming complex at the Olympic Stadium is open to the public. There are two Olympic size pools, a couple of diving pools, another deep pool for scuba diving. It is a truly impressive aquatic facility, I am pretty sure you would appreciate. The nearest metro station is Viau.
Pierre

Joe Sankey said...

Good for you. I look forward to seeing what you saw after your trip. Always wanted to visit Montreal, as my parents lived there for a few years in the thirties when my dad was playing baseball. Have fun.

JC said...

Wanted to second what Ed said a couple of comments up. I don't go to Walmart often, but it can be pretty damn handy for a lot of stuff. My wife has never been in one, either, she claims, but...it's sort of like a Home Depot for everything Home Depot doesn't have.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

I edited out (threw away) all of the back and forth about Walmart. It started going far afield. It's not worth getting fired up about.

Patrick Dodds said...

Have a good time Kirk and wishing you courage with your street portraits.

Andre Moreau said...

Hi Kirk,
Someone has already mentionned the Olympic pool at Olympic Park in Montréal. Next door is the Biodome which has replicas of four ecosystems found in the Americas. And next to it is the Rio Tinto Planeterium. Go across the street and you're into the Botanical Garden with its Insectarium and the Chinese and Japanese gardens. It will be a nice contrast to old Montreal. Plan a whole day. Have fun!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hi Andre,

Sadly the Olympic Pool is outdoors and closes in Sept. If I am wrong please let me know. I'd love to get a couple swims in while I'm there and am told the river is too cold...

Andre Moreau said...

Kirk,
There you go. Have a nice time in Montreal.
https://parcolympique.qc.ca/centresportif/en/schedule/
https://parcolympique.qc.ca/centresportif/en/packages-and-rates/#daily-rates

Andre Moreau said...

Kirk,
This may also be helpful:
https://parcolympique.qc.ca/en/what-to-do/

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Andre, Thank you so very much. I can't wait to try the competition pool. What a nice gift!!!! Thank you!