4.30.2023

Warning! This is not an Art Gallery. This blog post was created to give information, both in words and in images, about the Carl Zeiss 35mm f2.0 Biogon lens for the Leica M mount cameras. Nothing more. Wanna play art critic? Do it somewhere else.

 


As you are probably aware I sabotaged my resolution not to buy more gear in 2023 and went on a wild spending spree, buying several Carl  Zeiss lenses which were originally made to work on Zeiss's own M mount film camera (since discontinued) and also on any Leica or similar camera that uses the Leica M mount. These were in addition to my recent indiscretions in buying the 40mm and 58mm Voigtlander lenses in a Nikon F mount configuration. Woe is me. Will my checking account ever recover? 

After a couple of false starts concerning viable lens to camera adapters I've finally found one that gives me both correct infinity focusing (without going beyond infinity!) and also has a helicoid for extending the close up range of lenses mounted to it. It's a Hoage branded M to L Macro adapter and costs about $89. I used the adapter and the lens successfully on a Leica SL camera body this afternoon after a few quick tests yesterday evening. Everything tested out well. 

The lens I've been photographing with yesterday evening and today is the Carl Zeiss 35mm f2.0 Biogon lens ZM and I opted to buy it because it is known to be a good optical performer and it's also quite small and compact. Just the thing for long periods of handheld picture taking. When I realized that the new adapter was working perfectly I grabbed the rig and headed downtown. One priority was getting Macchiato from Mañana  Coffee but the over-riding priority was to give the new (to me) lens a trial run. To get a feel for how to focus a lens with a different touch and feel than others I am used to. To see how it renders details. To see if there is distortion and, after the fact, to see how hard (or easy) the distortion was to correct. And...would a smaller, lighter lens work well for me in the field?

I've tossed some captions under some of the images below but my overall assessment, after shooting color DNG's and black and white (oops! Monochrome) Jpegs is that the lens is very sharp and contrasty, overall, and has no major faults anywhere in the chain. The small size is fun and different from the lenses I have been using and would be nice for all day touring, on foot, in major cities. 

A note for people who might have mistaken this BLOG for a virtual fine art gallery: The pix are here to illustrate the copy. The copy is about my subjective appraisal of the lens. It's not a photo essay about street photography. It's not "Sleeping Beside the Colorado River." The photos are definitely not intended to be nor presented as fine art. You'll have to look elsewhere for that. Tough nuts. 

We're starting with a close up of this industrial handle. It's at the close
focusing distance of the lens, combined with the closest setting on the 
lens to camera adapter. If you click in to 100% you can see sharp detail on the 
part of the handle that's in focus. It's really good.  See the 100% crop just below...

Here is the same object at the close focus limit of the lens without the added
magnificiation of the macro adapter. 

And a wider shot just to show off the context of the three images above.


I didn't have a test target at hand so I stopped down to f8.0 and shot
the sidewalk adjacent to the pedestrian bridge. As you can see, it's sharp everywhere. 
That's nice. The sun is just above the frame but there isn't a hint of flare!!


I like the sun stars starting to come out from the highlight area already at f5.6.


Again, filling the frame. At f2.8 and the closest lens (alone) focus.
Wow! blood and urine! Tempting...





Now really enjoying the sun star off the Google "Sail" building. 
And no hint of veiling flare to be seen. Nor flare artifacts in the frame.




Color and detail are crispy but not overly "digital" in appearance.
Don't know whether to credit the camera or the lens or the combination.
But I like what I see. 




B was back for a few days and last night we had dinner with close friends.
Their backyard is beautifully and comfortably landscaped and their outdoor 
dining area table can comfortably seat ten. Our host was just back from 
restaurant hopping in Tokyo and Kyoto and whipped up some incredible 
dishes for us. I brought some wine from our favorite wine merchant.
Hard to beat a good St. Emilion Grand Cru. Even the 2019s are yummy.

Same thing in color. Lens wide open. Camera? SL.

I bought the lens on a lark and now I'm happy I did. It's just want I wanted in a small and lightweight travel companion and, if I ever decide to get back into "M" photography, I now have three lenses tested and ready to go. Might be looking at an M 262. Seems like my speed. But I'll have to wait for my birthday.... And that's a ways off. 

Dinner with B & B tonight. Everyone is doing well and it was great to get back into the tradition of the Sunday Family dinner. Tomorrow is a swim AND strength training day so it's off to bed for me. Fun fact: Ice cream has a lower glycemic index than brown rice. And it's tastier too. 

11 comments:

Tom Farrell said...

What I like in a lens is a feeling of space or air, like the view through a window freshly cleaned. Zeus’s lenses certainly give that. Good examples.

Chuck M. said...

The SL+Biogen shot of the freeway overpass re-ignited my interest in photography. Why? Please explain! I shot 1000's with my various Pentax's, and have exactly one shot that good (fortunately for me it was boatmen on the Ganges). I gave up cameras at some point. But now, how about I just buy a Leica of some type and have at it again? So here is the question: would the Q or Q2 have produced that same picture? I want simple, since such a purchase would be for travel. I am willing to shoot more 1000's to get one more good shot. Thanks for your work. ---chuck.morefield@gmail.com

Bob said...

Interesting post. I'm interested in your thoughts on Chuck's question...I'm really into simple, too.

Bob A. said...

Thanks for sharing the test run of your new Zeiss 35mm Biogon lens. Definitively looks like a keeper. Did you use a filter on the B&W photos? Bob Autrey

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Tom Farrell, Thank you!

Chuck M. I think you could certainly do as good a job with a Q2. The lens on the front of the Q2 is pretty phenomenal even if some of its mojo is provided by firmware. When using the 35mm crop, which would be similar to what I was doing with the 35mm Zeiss Biogon you still have a very detailed and color rich 30+ megapixel file. And yes, it's almost perfect for travel stuff. Just be sure to bring an extra battery...

To Bob Autrey, I haven't used filters other than polarizers and NDs in a long time. All the black and whites I've been posting are "filter free". I think I can replicated the filter's look in post and I hate having to carry around and keep track of more stuff. I just checked in the took cabinet and the only filters I have left are the circular polarizers and N.D.s. Nothing else has survived the many purges!

Chuck M. said...

Thanks a bunch! ----Chuck

MikeR said...

Nice!

My first thought on the lead picture was "HDR." But, you don't seem to be an HDR person. So, if that was a pretty much "straight" image, I'm impressed. (Now I only need one of those lottery tickets to hit.)

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

No HDR here. Not my style. No drones either. Ever.

Jon Maxim said...

Kirk, where have you been? It's spelled Monochrom.

Doug McLachlan said...

Krik, thanks for the adaptor recommendation. The cheap one I have feels like it's going to get stuck or fall apart at any time! The ZM Biogon f2 was my first lens for my first M camera, the often maligned M8. I loved that combo which gave close to a 50mm field of view on the M8's crop sensor and produced wonderful images. I've since paired it with the CL, a Fuji XT2 and more recently the M10. It's been excellent on all of them. I got a good deal on a used SL2 last week and am looking forward to trying the Biogon on the SL2! I also have the ZM 50mm f1.5 Sonnar which is a divisive lens but that's part of what makes it so fun!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kirk,
Try setting the lens as a 35mm pre asph summicron and your cyan corners like in the table setting shot should be corrected, at least it did with my 35mm f2.8 C-Biogon, worked a treat on my SL original.
All the best, Mark