5.03.2023

Great Response to Tuesday's invitation to share information about each other. I wish there was a way on Blogger to "pin" a post up at the top of the main page. But there isn't. I'll keep posting comments to that post as long as the comments keep coming. Thanks to everyone!!!

 

Birkenstock Atacamas in action. 
I like Birkenstocks and now that I've attained full adulthood I have 
no fear of even wearing them in cooler weather with wool socks. but...

I love the way Birkenstock's original sandals feel on my feet. The arch support, the footbed, in fact, just about everything is perfect. But the originals have one big issue that bugged me. My two pairs of Arizonas have very thin and wimpy soles on them. The bottom tread. It's definitely a sandal that's made for indoor use. On tile, on carpet and on hardwood floors they are very much in their element. But if you take them outside and walk on roadways, sidewalks, and over any rough ground you'll wear out the bottom tread within a month. At least I will. I had almost given up on considering wearing my comfy originals past the threshold of the front door of my house --- which is sad. But do you really want to blast through a pair of $160 sandals on a monthly basis? Seems a bit wasteful to me.

Austin is a weird place for shoes. It's rare we need or want to wear big, insulated hiking boots and there are so few places left anymore to wear those bespoke, formal suits and fine oxfords and still fit in Austin Fashion Wise. We've got a couple months of comfortable, temperate weather and then most of the Summer, at least till November, we're dealing with hot, sweaty, sticky weather. The kinds that begs for short pants, thin, moisture wicking shirts and almost bare feet. Or at least feet exposed to air flow...

Of course you can't really go barefoot as the pavement everywhere is hot enough to quickly cook pancakes on. You wouldn't make it two blocks without third degree burns on the bottoms of your feet. So the solution for the heat, humidity and just plain awfulness of feet confined to shoes is sandals. I have all manner of other brands but the Birks are the most luxurious. The "Leica" of ventilated footwear. 

In anticipation of the upcoming Summer I started doing research and found that Birkenstock has introduced a bunch of new product with ---  much more rugged and durable soles. Big tread. As thick as the grippy tread on the bottoms of my Keen hiking shoes. Oh joy! I bought the first version they introduced. They are called Atacamas. They don't have the famous suede leather over cork footbed. They are made of some sort of composite materials. But they work, and were comfortable enough for me to have done a handful of three to four miles walks through the city. I'd put a link to them but I don't want to rob you of the joy of doing your own research. 

Yesterday I circled back to the Birkenstock website to find yet another product that melds the best of the Atacamas with the best of the traditional sandals. It's called the "Arizona Rugged." Oiled leather uppers, tranditional suede leather footbed but with a much more rugged bottom. Advertised as an outdoor, adventure shoe. I'll be ordering a pair of these as well since the suede footbed insole will most likely be more comfortable than the non-porou, poly material of the Atacama. Sadly though, they are about $25 more. 

The Atacamas are perfect for wet environments (going to the pool) and getting caught in the rain since they won't be bothered by water. That's the biggest trade off. The Arizona Ruggeds will eventually experience deteriorated cork inner soles if you don't take pains to wax the surfaces regularly.

So, what the heck does this have to do with photography? Well... happy feet make for happier photographers and un-sore feet mean more potential ground covered during photo walks. The rationale works for me. And...they are made in Germany. I can hardly wait for the Leica Editions. Where to put the red dot???

So, yesterday, after all my office chores were done, I slipped into my Atacamas and headed downtown to make some more Carl Zeiss empowered photographs. I was out to see how well the colors and the general contrast of the Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4 ZF.2 matched up with the 28mm and 35mm CZ Biogons. But what makes visual lens testing a bit of a challenge is the changing quality of light from day to day. 

With the two Biogons I was making photographs on bright, sunny days. Whereas yesterday it was pre-stormy, grey and sodden. And cloud cover, etc. sucks the saturation and contrast right out of most images. I decided to give it a go anyway. After all, I was there with a camera and lens in hand. 

There is a family resemblance between all three of the lenses. They render subjects a bit differently than the Voigtlander lenses. A bit more contrast and slightly harder tonalities. And the Zeiss lenses are just a bit cooler in color than the Vs. I like the idea of tromping around with fixed sets of lenses. One day might call for the 40mm and 58mm Voigtlanders as a nice duo for uncrowded urban shooting while the Zeiss trio might shine in a more crowded space. 

Oh. And I heard or read something from a street photographer that interested me a lot this past week. He was talking about what lenses he uses for street photography (what I might call 'urban landscapes') and he suggested that a 28mm is a good lens for crowded and tightly configured spaces like the ones he finds in Asia. Think Hong Kong. Think Tokyo. Places where there is a lot of sidewalk traffic and less space to back up. 

His choice for the spread out cities of North America (think Austin, Vancouver, Seattle) is a 50mm because that focal length tends to compress space better. And in Austin there is nearly always room to back up...

Now I'm thinking of my lens groupings by their real potential. The 40 and 58mm Voigtlanders for general use in spread out cities. The 28mm and 35mm for crowded cities and smaller spreads. Adding the 50mm CZ for those times when a classic portrait is called for. I know it's a bit short for a real classic portrait but that's why the photo gods inventing judicious cropping. I haven't been to London since the 1990s. Is it a crowded space or a wide space? I don't remember.  Let me know if you can...

At any rate here are some images I shot yesterday. I was underwhelmed with everything so it's fine with me if you are too. I'll toss some captions in for fun. 

50mm f1.4. All lenses are good-to-great at f8.0. This one is no exception.

The 50mm has some barrel distortion but very little vignetting, even wide open.
And the sharpness is deceiving. The depth of field is so thin that you have to 
hunt for what's in focus to make any sort of accurate assessment. 

Hot. Humid. And with the sun peaking out just enough to make
sunscreen desirable but annoying. Nice colors though. 


50mm focused as close as I could. Stopped down to f2

Fascinated by fast food buildings. Not that they make fast food there but 
it seems the construction is aimed more at getting the stuff up quick but ignoring 
any imperative to make the buildings at all attractive. Or interesting. Or both.


50mm. This is one of those images with a lot of sharp detail that would 
probably look its best enlarged quite a bit. There's a lot in the frame; especially the right hand side building, and the sky is interesting to me as well. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't translate well 
to a small screen. Now I'm starting to sound like MJ...



downtown Austin is now commissioning artists to paint original work (not graffiti) on
all the downtown utility boxes and traffic light control boxes. It's a nice touch. 
I'm not always a fan of all styles but there is something for just about 
everyone. 

I saw this just after reading JC's comment about how many hundreds and hundreds of 
real photographs he found while looking though a copy of Architectural Digest Magazine. 
I get that there are still a lot of print magazines. And most of them still have photographs. 
But as a percentage of overall creative content I judge most of them to be outliers aimed at 
a certain limited range of generations and certainly at higher income demographics. 

I think the young man wearing this t-shirt might agree. 

I disagree a bit with JC on this. I think the robots have us in their sights.

15 comments:

Jim said...

I've been wearing Merrill footwear for years now. They make quite a variety of shoes and I've never had a pair that I had to 'break in'. They were always comfortable from the first time I put them on.

EdLimeintheCoronaPledger said...

Tried many shoe types. Handmade Russell moccasins with ripple soles. Earth shoes. Danners. Went through my Birkie stage (my dear Italian doc says she still loves her Birkies since she grew up wearing clogs…but to get the ones with soft insoles for hard floor all day wear. Most nurses wear one variety of running shoe or another). These days I go with SnoopDog. Slip on, designed for walking, with excellent tread, ultra light, Sketchers. Most comfortable shoes around for pounding the walk. Get a bit dingy, throw in the washing machine, air dry out on patio in a couple hrs.

Anonymous said...

Kirk

I can’t comment about foot ware, because all feet are different. Either it works for you or it doesn’t.

Concerning lenses for street photography, I practice in Seattle. For up close I like a 21mm, the next step is a 50mm, and then 75mm. If I am only going to use one lens, the split is almost 50/50 between a 35mm or a 50mm. Though, to be honest, I have never owned a 28mm. So I haven’t tried one for street work. Yet.

PS. Have you seen the Linda McCartney exhibit yet?

PaulB

Dave Lumb said...

Maybe you could 'pin' the post in the sidebar?

Bob said...

One word: Crocs.

Anonymous said...

Kirk

You might want to talk to Molitor; might reduce your angst about chatgpt. He has a string of posts on, of all places, twitter that give a contraian view.

Jay

Anonymous said...

As to Birks - I do have them and wear them constantly in the summer (beach, forest, city jungle), but mine lasts at least 3 years. After that I take them to my local specialized shoe man and he simply replaces the full threads for $40 and I am off to the races for another 3 yrs. After that cork section is gone and I am in the market for new pair.

JoeB said...

Wearing open toe sandals make me cringe. I've worn closed toe Tevas which work for me. I also wear Danner shoes which fit me like a glove and noticed on their website the "shelter cove" sandal, open toe, not for me, maybe you would find it interesting.

Andy said...

Hi Kirk,

For London, 40mm equivalent works for me. But with so much variety of location, whatever prime you are taking means you are making choices up front. Plus my Fuji 27mm makes for a very compact "take it just in case" option.

On the other topic of the day, while I love my Birkenstocks, I tend to go for something more rugged when in town. Last thing you want is a "tripping incident" on one of the deeper Tube escalators.

Andy

Peter Williams said...

The photo you captioned Hot. Humid., is one of your best urban landscapes to date.

Unknown said...

Bob's on the right track, but not just any Crocs ... Try the Croc Echos and never look back. Remember, you heard it fitst right here.

Eric Rose said...

I have wide feet. The only summer footwear thst fits me is Keen and Merril. I've tried big $$ alternatives with no luck. Open toed is one of those things that's polarizing. For many it's the equivalent of cutting your toes nails in a restaurant.

I suspect the acceptance of open toed footwear on men is a geographic thing.

Eric

Anthony said...

About London - I agree with Andy, there's so much variety. There are times and places you can hardly move for people, while others are much less crowded. Personally, which lens I like to shoot on the street varies more with my mood than with the density of people. I've been a 35mm shooter since film days, but more recently have gravitated to 50mm. As long as it fits the way you are feeling on the day, any of your lenses would be a wonderful choice.

Anthony.

John Bour said...

My god those are ugly!
(the sandals, not your photographs)

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Ugly like fine art!!! right?