5.27.2023

So. Here we are. A new camera announcement. The Q3. But I'm just now getting up to speed with the Q2.


I like trains. I wish we had fast rail service between major cities here in Texas. 
It would save so much time. Be more relaxing and efficient than trying to get 
everywhere in a car. These train cars have rubber bladders. Weird.


This is a collection of images I took around Austin with a Leica Q2. I like the camera a great deal. I hope the Q3 model motivates many, many people to shed their Q2 cameras so I can buy one more. I always like to travel with two identical cameras. Hard to justify when each one is $6K. Easier if you can find the next one used and at a big discount. But as with any camera you really have to get out and shoot with it a lot before you unlock any of its secrets.

This is David. He's quite a good photographer. I've known him since 1971.
Currently he does most of his work in the streets of Paris and some smaller towns
in Normandy. His black and white work is really on point. We met for coffee.



You've got to love a business that has a color test target painted on the side of their 
building. A quick calibration before people head out to do some 'street' photography?
Leica Store Miami Q2 Profile for Lightroom.


Torchy's Tacos aren't the best but they are a good deal and I like their flair for architecture. 
No, my dear architectural photography friends, I have not radically tilted my camera; the wall on 
the left is quite tilted without my intervention. S. Congress. 













Street poets with typewriters. Gruff but interesting. Q2 does nice black and white.

This poet suggested I ask permission to photograph him.
I suggested not. If you are writing poems on the sidewalk while 
drinking Lite beer you give up any expectation of privacy...






And, of course, this would be a "Yoga Supplies Delivery Van." 
S. Congress. Next to Jo's Coffee.


Hanging out at Jo's Coffee. 







the inevitable selfie. A reflection in a red door. 


Mickey and friends meet swim wear.



















still getting to know my Q2.

It's growing on me. 

 

10 comments:

JC said...

Your photos make me think I'd like Austin.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hey JC, parts of Austin are laid back and fun. I like it here. There's always something to do, something to see and something good to eat. Come on over. I'll show you.

Eric Rose said...

I can vouch for Kirk, he's an awesome tour guide! And when he tells you where to go, it's usually to somewhere cool.

The Shasta trailer is just like the one we had when I was a kid. Well except it wasn't sporting a gaudy green strip.

Eric

Anonymous said...

Kirk

Two weeks ago I was at a Seattle neighborhood farmers (street) market. This market usually attracts street performers of several varieties, including poets. This week, there was a young woman playing a violin. When she saw I was about to make a photo of her, she stopped playing and suggested I should tip her in order to take the photo. While I usually tip the performers I photograph after the fact. Her attitude led me to smile and walk on by.

PaulB

PC Smith said...

Reminds me of that old joke "My Karma ran over my dogma"

John said...

Not that you care one way or the other, but I really liked your photo set today. And as an aside, I dont think that the words Leica and big discount should ever be written together because they are never a “thing” as far as I can tell.

David said...

I agree with John. Today’s pictures appealed to me more than usual. Don’t know why. Maybe you see different stuff when you’re carrying the Q2.

rgonet said...

You have written about some Fuji X100V's that you owned. How would you compare them to the Leica Q2? Or, to put it differently, what makes you prefer the Leica to the Fuji?

Roland Tanglao said...

love the natural born diagonal shot of Torchy's Tacos :-) but who am I kidding, i love all the photos you post especially the portraits in spite of my obsession with diagonalized urban landscapes :-)

Mike Shwarts said...

I like the poets with typewriters. Reminds me of Typewriter Rodeo on The Texas Standard (NPR).