5.29.2023

After lunch and a nap and walk around the lake I realized that I wanted to be in an airport in Europe and wanted to find a young woman to photograph there in the terminal...

 


So I hopped on a plane, flew for 13 hours, made one stop, ate bad baked chicken in economy class and finally arrived at my nondescript European airport. I was there for just a few seconds when a very attractive women in a demure, gray blouse walked up to me and asked me to take her photograph. I did so, realized that the goal of my trip had been attained and caught the next flight back to Austin where I post processed the image for my audience here.

OR.....

I opened the PS beta, typed in a few lines and hit "generate." And, without leaving my office got my "photo" of the young lady. Of course this new set of tools will have no effect whatsoever on commercial photography or, in fact, any part of the creative services industry. 

Anybody want to buy a box full of cameras and lenses? 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG. She's so beautiful. Can I get her mobile number from you?

Frank Grygier said...

Daydreams will become two-dimensional images gleaned from vast libraries of everyone else's daydream.

Norm said...

Kirk–
Have you considered getting rid of that box of cameras and lenses and using a Deardorff with 8x10 Polacolor to prevent any confusion about provenance of photos?

Dr. Nick said...

Time to fire up the film cameras while listening to vinyl records. AI can't duplicate the foibles of film. Here comes our luddite analog future!

Roland Tanglao said...

All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.
:-)

Hugh said...

But is “anonymous” really KT posting remotely, or is the AI posting?

;)

crsantin said...

I think Kirk retired from blogging earlier this year. What we've been reading and seeing is Kirk Chatgtp. Only a bot would combine crocs with Leicas.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

heh, heh, heh

mlougee said...

About the comment "AI can't duplicate...,' I wonder if anyone has asked (and answered!) that sentiment yet? I'm guessing that if AI "learns" on many images, it could learn on selected filmstock images, learning their quirks and styles. It would also be interesting (horrifying?) to see what happens when asked to create an AI image "resembling puddles, legs, and decisive moments."

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Mlougee, All the things that you've mentioned are already all over Instagram and other sharing sites. Film looks, reflections in puddles, puddles conjured from nothing but words; it's all there. Now. Not in the future but very much NOW.

karmagroovy said...

It sure would be interesting to ask ChatGPT to create a blog post in the style of Kirk Tuck. Would it be about Leicas or swimming? ;-)

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Oh. Definitely swimming. Photography is just a side interest. Swimming is much, much more fun.

(Kirk is off swimming, this was written by A.I.)

Fear me humans!!!!!

JC said...

What would happen if the Congress extended copyright to cover all original images, and required any AI that used an image as a base to pay a royalty? And required all AI images to display the base images?

Malcolm said...

I have to say that this picture saddens me. I thought it was fine until I read how it was generated. Is this the end of (paid) human creativity in all its forms? At the moment ChatGPT is written by humans, but soon ChatGPT[n+1] will be written by ChatGPT[n] in ever faster and ever more convincing iterations. I can't help but feel that that will be a bad thing in so many ways :(

Anonymous said...

Oh no

jp41 said...

Upon seeing this image, my first impression was: stunning! My next thought was, this is worthy of being a print hanging on the wall in your studio.

Then I read it was AI generated and was saddened.