6.25.2023

Even Better than a new camera!!!!! My new passport has been sent out for delivery to....ME.

 "You don't miss your water till your well runs dry..."  - William Bell, 1961, Stax Records. 

1978. Three months backpacking through Southern Europe.

I never thought I'd miss a piece of I.D. as much as I have missed having my valid passport. We renew every ten years and in the past it was a fairly quick turnaround process. When I last renewed my passport in 2013 I used an expediting service which turned around the document, from application to passport in my hands, in about ten days. 

I was shocked when I went to renew it this year and the State Dept. website showed a message which  stated that expedited passports would take seven to nine weeks to turn around. And that was predicated on shipping your application to them via Express Mail, and having all your ducks in a careful row...

Armed with this bad news I was unhappily settling in to "worst case scenario" mode -- wherein I presumed we would bump right up on the nine weeks and then I'd be notified of some sort of glitch which might require me to re-submit and head to the back of the line again. I am nothing if not an ardent believer that everything related to my life will, at one point or another, fall into the worst case ordeal imaginable. But oddly, it almost never happens. In fact, maybe only once out of every thousand times. Or less. The odds have become background noise and yet I still steadfastly imagine, at every important step in life, that the roof will collapse, I will be arrested, hacked or delayed and I will lose my boarding pass somewhere between the food court in the airport and my departure gate. So I am constantly vigilant. Or as my favorite swimmer/psychiatrist friend couches my condition: "Hyper-vigilant." But with a massive balancing dose of optimism and sense of entitlement. (Not sure he meant "entitlement" as a compliment...in fact, I'm kind of certain.). 

All of this to say that while I thought I'd be trapped here all Summer I won't be. To my relief, joy, happiness, etc. I find that my passport zoomed through the process in just a day or two over one month's time. I conjecture that having been through background checks by the Secret Service on four different occasions, connected with photographing U.S. presidents, helped with whatever vetting process/background checks the State Dept. uses. And I'm sure it didn't hurt the processing schedule that my Global Entry/Trusted Traveler credentials are up to date. Still, I'm thrilled that the folks who do the work under-promised and over-delivered. 

But, in keeping with my posture of gloomy hypervigilance I'll maintain a worst case scenario right up until the minute I pull the passport out of the mail and hold it in my hands. 

Looking back over time, which is a bizarre and disquieting exercise, I find that I've held valid passports all the way back to 1963. I was seven and a half years old when I got my first one. I needed it when my family moved to Turkey for two years. And using Turkey as a home base we traveled extensively in the middle east...many stamps on that old book.

One sad note about passports in the current age is that we no longer get stamps on the pages in most countries. Everyone is going to electronic verification and even last year when I was in Vancouver and I asked for a stamp at Canadian border services I was told...."We don't have stamps anymore. Sorry." (But being Canadian they were so very nice about it). I'm glad now that I have kept all my old passports because with their inky, blurry stamps they are like a truncated travel log reminding me of trips with family, trips with a college girl friend, a honeymoon and many subsequent trips abroad with B. They are also like a journal of jobs from those travel focused years with a roster of corporate clients. Weird business travel everywhere. From St. Petersburg, Russia to the Dominican Republic and dozens and dozens of destinations in between. 

Now, without the stamps, I'll actually have to become one of those guys with the little, black Moleskine notebooks and a dubiously/messy and unreliable fountain pen,  sitting at a sidewalk table at a coffee shop busily recording each step of progress on a trip. Wiping the leaky ink, inadvertently, on my pants leg.

After getting my tracking number from the State Dept. website I rushed into the house to tell B. about the anticipated arrival of my coveted travel doc. She suggested I get busy planning a shooting trip to.....anywhere. Now. She's not traveling this Summer. Taking care of her mom in San Antonio and splitting her time between there and here. But she was adamant about me getting out the door and taking some of that photographic gear that seems to be stacking up with me. Being the optimistic pessimist I am I'll start looking immediately but I won't book anything until I have the document in my hands. Then? All bets are off. 

I really enjoyed my time in Vancouver recently and think that might be a fun break from the heat. Unless they too are forecast to reprise their own previous Summer heat wave. There is an Air Canada flight that's direct from Austin three or four days a week. Four and a half hours in the air. That sounds almost luxurious. 

But we may just roll the dice and see what comes up. 

The only hesitation I have is the labor intensive task of picking the right camera and lenses to take with. Now that's a real dilemma. But I have some ideas there too. 

Just thought I would share today's happy news. 

Makes the heat that much more bearable.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Live modern, dictate comments to your smart phone. Only the pretentious use Moleskine and fountain pen.
fotochuck@gmail.com

Dick Barbour said...

If you want a nice scenic area similar to BC, consider Port Townsend, Washington. A couple of friends spend their summers there because they have family nearby, and they always come back with some really good photos. As of last week they said the temp is in the 50s during the day and 40s at night. And you won't even need to wait for your passport!
Dick

jw52tx said...

Try Newfoundland! You'll need to invest more than 4.5 hours getting there but wonderful people, great scenery, and, if you go soon enough Icebergs!

adam said...

we have an expedited option here where you can go to the passport office and they make it same day, more practical in a small country, I think there are 4 or more offices in different places so reasonably close for a lot of people

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Adam, I'm so jealous. KT

adam said...

haha, it does cost quite a bit more, maybe 50% extra, also things generally here are going to hell in a handbasket, brexit made it harder for water companies to get sewage treatment chemicals so the gov is letting them dump raw sewage in rivers and the sea instead, this was illegal when we were an EU member, it's like going back to the 1980's, can't swim at any beaches now, people still are though

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Biro said...

Kirk, why don't you fire off an email to the remaining staff at the just-saved DPReview and see if they'll be in the Seattle office? I'd love to read some pieces from you and them about a joint photo adventure. Or how about a trip to Calgary to meet Chris Nicholls and Jordan Drake? Unless there's still too much wildfire smoke.

Eric Rose said...

Hey Biro, no smoke here in YYC right now. Come on up for our world famous Calgary Stampede in July.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Eric, what's the weather like in Calgary in July? Hot as Texas? When's the Stampede? Will everything (hotels, et al) be fully booked? Curious! Calgary was just named as one of the top ten most livable cities in the world. What's up with that?

crsantin said...

Make sure you check the air quality index if you are coming to Canada. The wildfires in the north are making things very hazy in many parts of the country. It's a bit better now but two weeks ago it was very smoky in Ontario and worse in New York state. The fires are still burning, unfortunately. The conditions might ruin some otherwise good photo opportunities and smoky air is no better than the severe heat in Texas.

Anonymous said...

One can blather anywhere, not just coffee shops. I don't drink coffee therefore I never find myself in one. I was thinking more drive or walking time. YMMV.
fotochuck@gmail.com

Roland Tanglao said...

newfoundland is great! beautiful parks and people! and do stop by vancouver on the way to newfoundland!!!

karmagroovy said...

Thank God getting a passport renewed isn't anything like procuring a working refrigerator! ;-)

Wholehearted agree with the Calgary recommendation... a beautiful, modern city with a river that runs through it... sound familiar? Plus you're only 1.5 hours away from Banff with all of its outdoor adventure possibilities.

Roland Tanglao said...

Calgary has Phil and Sebastian! excellent coffee!!!
https://philsebastian.com/

Jon Maxim said...

Hope you come to Toronto. Added bonus: If you choose the wrong equipment, I'll be happy to loan you some of mine just to meet you. I seem to piggyback on everything you buy. :)

Bob F. said...

When the US Army sent me to Iran, I had a nifty official passport that was then kept at the US Embassy. When most US official personnel were rushed out of the country after the Shah abdicated (months before the Embassy takeover, thankfully) we were issued temporary passports with no portraits but only the inscription “valid only for the evacuation of US personnel from Iran” or words to that effect. As best I recall, they were confiscated when we reentered the US. Wish I still had it…

Sanjay said...

Take me with you. This summer is about to drive me batty and it's just begun. We have a trip to the tropics planned but need to add an escape to cooler climes.

Sam said...

Funny you should mention expedited passport applications. My daughter is supposed to travel to England to study for the summer so we need her passport badly. We applied for an expedited renewal of her passport and we are coming up on the nine week mark. It wouldn't be too terribly stressful if you could at least use the phone number to get through to talk to a human being, but It is nearly impossible to get through that phone number to talk to a human.
I hope you get your passport quickly as promised, and I hope you find yourself taking a nice trip!

Anonymous said...

The forecast for the coming week to 10 days in Seattle is highs 75-80, lows mid-50s, and clear with no wildfire smoke so far (knock on wood). My dad up in BC claims it is more or less the same in Vancouver. Bon voyage!

Ken

bt1138 said...

Well, weren't you a handsome fellow back in the day.

Eric Rose said...

In response to Kirk's surprise ;) that Calgary is in the top ten cities to live in world wide, please note that Canada garnered 30% of the top spots! All crowing aside, Calgary is a great place to live.

The Calgary Stampede billed as the "Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth" runs from July 7th to July 18th. Click here for details: https://www.calgarystampede.com/

Like any major event hotel rooms get booked up and prices jump. Kirk, you might find staying in Canmore AB more to your liking. It's just in the mountains and quite funky. However it is one hours drive from Calgary. We have a guest room but I worry our modest accommodation's are not up to your standards ;) but you are always welcome. We will hide our Keurig and Abby our tabby cat. However I could park Peggy the Dancing Hippopotamus out front for your exclusive use.

The smoke situation as I speak is a none issue. In Calgary at least. There is however light smoke in the mountains that screws up any attempts to harness your inner Ansel Adams.

The Stampede is ten days of dancing, drinking and general debauchery. Punctuated by what some feel is animal cruelty and circus rides designed to make you puke. The opportunity for great street images is outstanding.

Within 100 miles of Calgary you have everything from the Rocky Mountains, foothills, badlands and flatter than piss on a plate farm land. If a photographer can't create outstanding images here they should take up knitting. I hear Leica is developing some really cool BW coloured knitting needles. The tops have little red dots.

Let us know if you are coming, it would be great to reconnect in person again.

Eric

Chuck Albertson said...

Don't forget to update your Global Entry account with your new passport info. It doesn't require a visit to CBP any more, you can do it online. And don't fret about how they mangled your passport photo (my last one looks like "Chucko, mind blown!") - with the exception of the Republic of Ireland, no border official actually looked at my passport on my last trip. It either was machine-read, or they skipped that step entirely and used facial recognition (Global Entry at SeaTac), which is kind of spooky.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Chuck, thanks for the updating reminder. That will come in most handy. KT

Anonymous said...

The photo. Movie star CIA agent. Or evil villain.

R.A.

Marriott said...

I second the advice to visit Port Townsend. Then take the ferry to Whidbey Island. Take a lovely drive up to Anacortes, and take the ferry through the San Juan Islands. From there, The beautiful small city of Victoria bekons. Then Vancouver. Enjoy!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Just got tracking info. Arrival imminent.

Roland Tanglao said...

go imminent passport delivery! the years have been been kind to that handsome feller :-) ! lookin' good then and now!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Got it. Took from May 18th to June 27th. Not bad.