10.15.2023

Once again, the Sigma fp wows me and makes me reconsider.....everything. South Congress. Dancing at Jo's Coffee.

 


Paul and I had coffee at Trianon last week and we were both bemoaning the huge surplus of cameras and lenses that seem to show up from time to time in our respective workspaces. We talk a good game about downsizing and getting rid of the clutter. We talk about cameras and lenses we don't use enough and which we now need to get rid of. 

I came home and started scrounging through the cabinet that holds a bunch of cameras and lenses. Among the cameras that seem to have been left by the wayside since I bought the Q2 and the M cameras was the old Sigma fp. I thought I should probably sell it off. Same with the Panasonic S5. But, having made a number of photographs that I liked very much with the Sigma I thought I at least owed it one more spin. One more relaxed walk through the landscape of my Central Texas Reality. Just to see if subtracting it from the mix would be a mistake.

Yes. I would be a mistake. It's a great image maker. And I was using it in the worst case scenario. Naked camera body. No grips. No thumb rests. No EVF. One 45mm f2.8 lens. I walked through downtown and then over the bridge to South Congress Ave. Since I didn't bring the loupe or an EVF (don't have one for that camera) I had to resort to dirty baby diaper hold. Looking at the screen on the back on a day with full sun. But you know what? It worked. We can actually work with many fewer "features" than we think we need. 

The shots of dancers at Jo's Coffee are some of my favorites. Some of my best in a long time. Check them out and tell me if you agree.

I enjoyed every minute of my walk with the Sigma fp and its 45mm lens. It's not going anywhere. 

Please consider looking at the images big. Really big. Thanks!






















18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um. I have to ask. Did you know any of those people? If not, how did you manage to fit in?

R.A.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

I smile a lot. Mostly because I'm generally happy.

MikeR said...

Luscious. Just plain nice.

Rich said...

yep, u killed it. It killed it!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks MikeR. Thanks Rich. Thanks R.A.

I appreciate that you took time to look. So much fun to do the photos!!!

Doug said...

Yes, the dancers are great. That first couple appears to be having a great time. She smiles with her whole face and eyes.

I tell myself over and over that I'm going to pare down to two Canon cameras and stay there. Keep it simple. The problem is I like to play with new and different stuff, just to see how much I enjoy it. I was doing pretty good with only the R6II plus R6, having sold off everything else. Then I picked up a Fuji IR converted X-T30II. Not too bad yet. Then I made the mistake of pre-ordering the Nikon Zf a couple months ago, thinking I could always cancel before they ship. Nope... not quick enough... it arrives tomorrow. Back to four. Besides its gorgeous looks, I suspect the 40mm lens it comes with will feel like the perfect focal length.

We won't discuss how many film cameras I've acquired in the last 6-7 years.

s.c said...

Yes they are crazy good. It gives that feeling of walking around with a new camera and are stunned with the results.

Yoram Nevo said...

Lovely !

pixtorial said...

The photo of the woman looking over her partner's shoulder, with the gaze directly to the camera, that photo is perfection. And I've always loved how the Sigmas paint color, no matter that they're all the quirkiest of cameras (I used to shoot DP and SD series, infuriating and genius all at the same time LOL).

Gordon Lewis said...

Just out of curiosity, are these SOOC JPEGs or were these originally RAW files you massaged a bit? They look great regardless, but it would help to know how much to attribute to the camera and lens vs. your considerable skill as a photographer.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hi Gordon, These started life as RAW files and were converted in Lightroom Classic. I tweaked and cropped them to match what I saw.

karmagroovy said...

As usual, the compositions and the capturing of your subjects are spot on. It's hard not to smile when viewing these images.

However, I find the images to be too sharp, almost like HDR processed image. I have to admit the resolving power of the camera/lens combination is impressive... every wrinkle and freckle is so vivid, I almost feel like I'm there.

Anonymous said...

I've been shooting with the fp for more than a year....results are always impressive. With the electronic viewfinder and
the rear screen housing it mimics shooting with a 500C and/or with a view camera. Lot of fun with this camera...and
the results never disappoint.

Greg Heins said...

Terrific. As you know, I love my fp-L.

Anonymous said...

Kirk

I like the boots, and how most people seem to be aware of you, but also accepting of you.

Though, I think Karmagroovy has a point, it looks like the images have lost something in the web presentation via blogger. They don't quite look as smooth as other images, even from the fp, that you have posted. Or it may be my monitor, which I am not overly thrilled with.

PaulB

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

That's the look I wanted for this set of images. That's why they look that way. I can make them smoother but I don't want to. They seem appropriate for the kinetic energy of the day.

Don Karner said...

I look at these pictures and I want to hear the music! So vivid. Now I guess I have to find an Fp somewhere and then learn how to use it!

Anonymous said...

Kirk

I am glad to hear that my impression of the image look was your intent, and not my glasses are failing me again. I am close to the time frame for an eye exam, and would rather continue to delude myself that I can wait for the scheduled date.

PaulB