4.28.2023

The lenses arrived. They are as cute as can be. Tiny and mechanically perfect. Here's my quick, first look at the Carl Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Biogon ZM.

 

I opened the box in the dining room, put the 28mm lens on the SL2 body, turned around and snapped my first photo of the day. Just a shot of my living room at the house. Not perfect but fun. For me.

What I quickly found was that when used on a digital camera like the SL2 the 28mm does have some vignetting. The lens is certainly sharp enough across the frame but there is a slight blue shift in the vignetted areas. A partial and mostly successful workaround for this is to go into the SL2 menu and find the M rangefinder lens profile that most closely matches this lens. For my taste it's the profile for the Leica 28mm Elmarit. The version just before the ASPH version. Applying this in camera to my Jpeg files (yeah. I was shooting medium sized Jpegs.. .. ..) went a long way to correcting the vignetting and the slight corner color shift.

Speaking of color, I found the rendering of the Zeiss 28mm to be cooler (more blue) than the rendering of the Leica lenses and Voigtlander lenses I have been using. Correcting the color back to where I like it also tames the apparent/inherent (almost like poetry...) contrast of the files a bit. All part of the learning curve when trying out new lenses for the first time.

The focusing ring is about as perfect, in terms of placement and feel, as I could ever want and I was so happy to get back to an aperture ring calibrated in thirds of a stop instead of the full stop settings of the two recently acquired Voigtlander lenses (40mm and 56mm). The lens came without a hood and while I didn't have any issues with flare I'm getting an aftermarket hood just to help keep my greasy fingers off the front element of the lens. 

Below are samples from yesterday's walk. In a surprising break with tradition I did not stop for coffee. I'm finding that I have so perfected my selection of fresh coffees and my unerring brewing process that I have now spoiled myself for coffee done nearly anywhere else. Oh sure, I'll still go out for coffee but more for the social aspect of it than anything else. Sad when perfection in one field ruins your routine in another.. .. ....

Yeah. It's just construction but clicking in on the yellow cranes shows off the saturated color 
palette that seems built into this lens.


A nod to the visitors who want relatively straight up lines in their images... ..

As seen on Sixth St. 


A good test of sharpness and detail at f5.6. Yes. Very "usable"


In defense of the lens, the bottom corners were falling into shadow naturally.
The difference in color here is more down to the shadows being in shaded areas while the rest of 
the scene "sees" reflected daylight. Pretty accurate --- from a physics point of view.

There is a sucker born every minute. And a group of con artists just waiting to fleece them. 
Austin was host this week to a "conference" or cheerleading session about crypto currency.
The Great Tulip harvest of our century. Can't wait to fire up the diesel generators, log into the bank of servers and harvest me some BitCoin. While ruining the environment. Now, where have I put my "Ponzi Scheme" playbook? But the people seemed so earnest. 

They even have their own shuttle bus. That's how you know they've arrived. 

but can the lens do close-ups? 





Sad. One of my favorite stops in downtown, the café/restaurant at the main library,
the "Cookbook Café" is now shut down. No idea if it will re-open or if something 
else will take its place. But you know how much we fear change!




Next up we play with the 28mm's best friend, the Carl Zeiss 35mm f2.0 Biogon ZM.
And maybe we'll give them both a whirl on the front of a couple of Leica CL cameras
at Eeyore's Birthday Party tomorrow afternoon. 
Might be the way to go photographing for fun without the big cameras.

Landscape crew did a nice job with the lawn. Not sure what kind of mowers they were using... .. . 

11 comments:

TMJ said...

I subscribe to Reid Reviews and Sean has tested a number of M lenses from Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander, et al. and the problems with symmetrical, wide angle, lens designs on non-leica M, mirrorless bodies.

From memory, the Leica SL did the best, then the SL2, but the Nikon Z7 was pretty good too.

Robert Roaldi said...

Aw man, I hate to hear about good coffee places closing anywhere.

Oldguy said...

Kirk-How much fun to "test drive" a new lens. The pictures look great. Maybe a keeper?
Now looking forward to the test run with the new Carl Zeiss 35mm f2.0 Biogon ZM.
Stay safe. Bob Autrey, Mesa AZ

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hi Bob, The 28mm is a keeper for me. I did finally realize that all of the after market lens adapters err on the side of making sure you get infinity focus. In fact, all that I've played with allow the lens to go past infinity which means the actual distance scale is meaningless! I have two adapters arriving tomorrow. One is the Leica branded one which darn well better work for the price they charge! The other is a Hoage branded one which has a built in helicoid to allow closer focusing and an assurance of sorts that you can get a spot on infinity focus as indicated by the distance scale. Fingers crossed it all works.

Now preparing for a fast moving severe thunderstorm which is being advertises as being about to drop two inch to four in hail. Hope no more branches decide to drop from the trees!!! Hope all is good in Mesa. Thanks for the chat last night. I hope I didn't call too late! Best, Kirk

ASW said...

Wait a minute. Are you suggesting that basing a currency on nothing but vibes and flashy Powerpoint presentations made by folks who are way less trustworthy than the used car salesman at the lot behind the scrap yard might be fishy?

Next you'll probably tell me that I should diversify my investments by purchasing all of the cryptocurrencies instead of putting all my savings into KodakCoin. I think we can all agree that Kodak is always at the forefront of emerging markets, so I'm feeling pretty darn smart.

EdFocusDilemmaPledger said...

Which adapter did you use today? I have not had good luck with M to L for my S5. Not that focusing overshoots infinity, but doesn’t get there. That’s using the rainbow one and the TTArtisans one…neither allowed infinity with 35 Summaron, 90 TeleElmar, 90 Elmar, or 135 Elmar. The TTA one was very nice and secure, but focus was off. Certainly not forking out the coins for the Leica one, but interested in how well the Hoage does for you. On the S5. Ciao.

Rich said...

color is back. YEAH

Anonymous said...

Seems Texans have a different definition of street shooting.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I see a blank wall in your living room photo; surely there could be some nice large-format photos there? :)
Frank.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Dearest Anonymous, I don't know what you intended to convey with your comment: ""Seems Texans have a different definition of street shooting."" Beyond being combative and feisty.

The blog post in question is about a lens. The performance of a lens. The use of the lens. The limitations of the lens. It is not a portfolio of "street photography" meant as an online exhibition. Please try to practice better reading comprehension
skills on your next read through and try not to be an ass.

Anonymous said...

Some people can't help being obnoxious dicks. Please don't stop writing the blog because of one.

R.A.