4.17.2023

I took a selfie this morning and used it for my annual senior swim pass from the city of Austin.


 Lights in Berlin. 2013.

There are a few benefits to reaching a certain age here in Austin, Texas. One is that you can pay $65, get an I.D. card with your photo on it, and have access to all the public swimming pools in the city's jurisdiction, from the end of March until the end of October. That includes Barton Springs Pool and Deep Eddy Pool. Both are landmark aquatic facilities with a rich history and the potential for some really great swims. Another reason to get a senior swim pass is that you also get, for no additional cost, a hang tag to display in your car that allows you to park for free at Zilker Park, home of Barton Springs Pool. In fact, the hang tag alone is worth the cost; especially if you like to run the hike and bike trail that goes through the park. 

I dropped by the City of Austin Aquatics offices around ten this morning to sign up. I'd forgotten that I needed to provide a photo of myself so I took one on the spot and sent it to the office's email address. Usually it takes two weeks from the time you apply for your senior pool pass until you get your I.D. card and hang tag in the mail but I smiled really nicely and reminded the person in the office that last year I was able to walk out of the offices with both. The kind young person behind the computer smiled back and told me it wouldn't be a problem to process everything on the spot. Happy me. No waiting for my valued credentials. A benefit of visiting the offices before the swim season and the attendant demand start to skyrocket. 

My selfie is not very flattering so I'm not going to show it here. It's functional. That's all I can say about it. But that's the nature of so much photography today. 

Since I'm finally through with life's two major hurdles; broken refrigerators and federal income taxes (at least for 2022....), I got around to having our yard service get up into the tall trees and clear out all the very high branches that were broken during the big ice storm at the end of January. Some branches had broken and fallen on healthier branches and were suspended precariously over our heads. I wanted to have the tree guys control the branches' descent so nothing would come crashing through the double pane glass on our double French doors. Everything went according to plan. But José, our yard guy of nearly 28 years got me up on a ladder to show me some damage to attic vents, roof shingles and a whole bunch of tortured gutters. 

Since I've prevailed on other fronts (taxes and fridge) I thought I'd try my luck with my homeowner's insurance policy. I've used the same insurance company for 32 years now and they were quite responsive and amiable on the phone. I should hear from an adjuster within 24 hours. No leaks or anything. Just damage to the roofing shingles, gutters, etc. 

The last time we sent our insurance company into action was about eight years ago after a big and mean hail storm. They ended up replacing the roof on the house as well as on the office and then, just for the heck of it they repaired the screens on our back porch and parts of the fence which they felt suffered from the hail. We'll see how it all works out this time. 

I've had fun shooting in black and white since M.J. got all riled up about the Pentax announcement. It could be that we really are seeing a resurgence in the popularity of monochrome photography. And from my point of view any resurgence of popularity in the field of photography is to be roundly applauded.

Hoping that my favorite vendor gets a Q2M in stock soon. I'd like to see what all the dedicated camera fuss is really all about with a hands-on experience. And since Leica is the granddaddy of making monochrome digital cameras I figured I might as well go straight to the source. Bon appétit. 


1 comment:

Jon Maxim said...

Kirk, I just checked. While the Leica Store Miami has none in stock (otherwise I could go pick one up for you tomorrow) B&H has Leica Q2M in stock.