10.13.2023

Mix and Match. An alternative to the Q2 and the M.

 

"It's always more exciting to get newer cameras than it is to stick with the status quo and work every day with old favorites." That must be a "law" of consumerism that's written down somewhere.

Leica introduced the CL (digital camera = Typ 2373) back in November 2017. The MSRP was about $2,800 USD, camera body only. The CL stands for "Compact Leica." 

While I have "better" cameras I have a strong affinity for the CL because it's almost a direct copy, body style wise, of the original Leica screw mount cameras that were the sole camera products from Leica until around 1955 when Leica introduced the M3 and a continuing line of M mount cameras. Effectively replacing the company's long line of screw mount lens bodies and their lenses. 

My very first Leica, bought for a couple hundred dollars --- with lens, was the screw mount IIIf red dial. I compared that body to the CL and found that, as far as dimensions are concerned, they are a close match. Since this was the main camera for Henri Cartier-Bresson, Robert Frank and many other superstars of photography in the first half of the 20th century it carried with it the gravitas of photo history and the glow of its long correlation with some of our favorite documentary photographers. At least that's the way I always looked at those early Leicas....

The IIIf red dial was a fun, small, hand camera. It had a 50mm optical finder (no correction for parallax!) and a separate finder window next to the viewfinder for the rangefinder. Mine came with a 50mm f3.5 Elmar, collapsible lens. The lens was pretty good once I stopped it down to f5.6. Also, one had to custom trim the leader of pre-packaged films in order to get them to work in these cameras. Lots to think about. 

I bought that IIIf back in 1979 and I still have it here in the studio. And it still works. 

When I first saw the CL (digital) in person it was such an obvious nod to the early generations of Leicas that I could see right away that the camera was a gracious homage to the originals. But updated for modern times. 

I made the mistake of handling a Typ. 2373 and was enamored. Enough so that I eventually purchased two of them. Both in like new condition. 

There are two things beyond the look and feel of  the camera that I really like. One is the use of a Panasonic BLC-12 battery which is also used, under a different product designation, in the Sigma fp and  fpL cameras as well as many recent Panasonic and Leica compact cameras. These are inexpensive to buy new. Unless you opt for the Leica branded version. My preference is for the Sigma branded version which is designated the BP-51. It's so great that one has a wide range of brands to choose from since the cameras tend to be battery hogs. The Sigma BP-51 will set you back about $ 45. Yes, it's a bit more than the completely generic ones but there is a margin of implied safety there that has value... The Leica battery (and I've used both a lot) is no better or worse than the Sigma; just a lot more expensive.

The CL uses the L mount lens system and will take pretty much every L mount lens made. That's its other super power. 

So, the camera is small and light (but dense). It uses a contemporary lens mount. It can use cheap batteries. What are the downsides?

Well, the biggest downside is that it's been discontinued. Bound to become a pricy collector's item over time. And I wish the EVF was of a higher resolution. But that's certainly not a "transaction disruptor." 

A while back I outfitted the CL system with a set of Sigma Contemporary lenses for the APS-C L mount cameras. Sigma makes a nice selection of lenses that work well on the CL and are pretty cost effective: at least when compared to Leica lenses. I bought the 16mm, the 30mm, the 56mm  and the 18-50mm zoom. All are very good performers on the camera. But it's also notable that the camera works equally well with the full frame lenses. 

It's kind of silly to use some of the FF lenses with the diminutive camera body. The Leica 24-90mm zoom looks outrageously inappropriate on the small camera. Same with big, fast lenses. But there is a whole family of FF Sigma lenses that seem nearly perfect for use on the CL. These are the all metal, Contemporary lenses with aperture rings. I have a number of them but the three I like to use with the CL cameras are the 24mm f3.5, the 45mm f2.8 and the 90mm f2.8. 

Each of them are sharp; even wide open. All three are relatively small and light. Certainly they look appropriate on the cameras. And they all work with the camera's processing.

When I over-use a camera I can tell quickly. I start to get bored with it. A bit lethargic about going out to shoot. And I find myself stumbling through camera store websites. 

When I finished really looking at the work I'd done recently with the M camera I was ready to take a break from manually focusing and manually exposing and I started looking around for a camera with some spirit and some automation. 

I went instantly to the CL and the assorted full frame Sigma lenses. The look and feel, and operation of the lenses seems like they were made for each other, and the results are great. So, for a little while the Q2 and the M are getting some R&R in the gear cabinet and the CLs have come out to play. One with the 24mm lens (35mm eq.) and one with the 45mm f2.8 Sigma (66mm eq.). They make a really nice pair. One on the shoulder and the other is a very small shoulder bag. 

The cameras use the same 24 megapixel sensor as the also discontinued Leica TL2. It's a great sensor and the color science of the cameras is wonderful. And I know, that's mostly a result of processing, but I think the sensors do make a difference. 

I was going to sell off the CLs but I've changed my mind. They are valuable to me because they allow for more "crop rotation" between camera types and shooting styles and my limited attention span appreciates this. Also, they are just that much fun to handle.

Today's choice for a camera to take to lunch to see my friend, Greg, is one of the CL cameras with the Sigma 24mm lens. It's a just right combination. 

I really like the CL camera and hope that Sigma makes an APS-C camera body in a rangefinder style just for use with all these L mount lenses. It just makes good business sense....

Anyone else still enjoy shooting the "cropped" frame cameras? 

Wanna read more about my experiences with the CL? Hit these links:

CL links:


https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2022/06/dont-you-hate-it-when-companies.html


https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2022/05/the-leica-cl-and-leica-tl2-exit-camera.html


https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2023/07/an-interesting-travel-and-street.html


https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2022/12/the-leica-cl-was-underappreciated.html


https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2022/07/camera-guys-love-to-modify-their.html


https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2022/12/youre-finished-with-commercialheavy.html


https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2020/03/thinking-about-what-lens-sigma-should.html


https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2020/03/thinking-about-what-lens-sigma-should.html


https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2020/03/thinking-about-what-lens-sigma-should.html


https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2022/07/a-minimalist-carry-everywhere-camera.html


https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2023/01/love-camera-love-lens-hated-combination.html


https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2023/02/strange-cameras-and-equally-strange.html


https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2022/09/sigma-contemporary-30mm-f14-lens-is.html


https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2022/12/getting-up-to-speed-with-really-nice.html


Wow. I've written a lot about one particular camera..... gee 


12 comments:

Joel Bartlett said...

Still enjoying my CLs. Like you, I picked up another when they got discontinued. Just as well, as my first one is currently in the shop.

Gordon R. Brown said...

Please post a picture of your Leica screw mount IIIf red dial and lens.

I too am still enjoying my Leica CL pair; one chrome, one black.

Rich said...

Kirk, the kit would look much smaller w/out the lens hood. Just shade lens with hand?

JC said...

The only Leica that tempts me. It's essentially the GX8 upgrade that I've been hoping for, and KEH has two excellent+ bodies for 2K each. Wonder if Leica will upgrade them someday? I'd kinda like to be like you, swaggering around town with the red dot. Without the crippled hand, of course.

Biro said...

I love my CL, Kirk. But I really hope Sigma or Panasonic introduce a rangefinder-style APS-C camera in L-mount. I just put in a “pre-order” for Sigma’s new 10-20mm f/2.8 zoom. Of course, I’ll use it on the CL. But I can’t imagine Sigma is producing all of these great APS-C lenses in L-mount for a single camera body that left production a couple of years ago already.

TMJ said...

Yes, it was the modern Leica 'rangefinder', excellent form factor and decent AF. But was probably canabalising some M sales: where the profits lie.

adam said...

yes, I'm using fuji aps-c, I have severe RSI which makes a larger camera impractical, I might switch to full frame in future if I can get body and lenses below a certain weight, but enjoying the fuji's for now

Eric Rose said...

I think your CL's need a vacation in Finland. Just saying....

Eric

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Will I need a jacket?

Steve B said...

My crop frame camera is the Olympus Pen F digital. Love that camera. (Bought it 3 times - this last time I swore I'd keep it, and I plan on doing that.) It's just a joy to use (for me at least). I have the Olympus 17mm f1.8 and 12-40 f2.8 Pro lenses for it. No desire for any larger lenses. Just recently sold all my other cameras to MPB. Being 71, it's probably time to get rid of some of that so Connie doesn't have to deal with that when my time on earth is over. Odds are good I'll wind up buying something else with some of the proceeds from my camera sales. Connie is very understanding. I'm incredibly blessed.
Steve

Steve B said...

...and those Sigma Contemporary Lenses (24, 45) are really great- incredibly well-made and nice small size...

Joachim Schroeter said...

Bought my first CL having read a post of yours. Have 3 now (1 converted to infrared). Gorgeous. The only cameras which could take away from them would be an M with inbuilt EVF, or a Q with M mount. The menues of the other L mount brsnds simoly don’t cut it for me (at lesst not yet).