10.10.2023

I had time over the weekend to play around with various files from my recent trip so I tried to envision some of them as black and white images. You know --- Monochromes. I used various tools in Lightroom to make conversions from color files. Cheating. Yes, I know.


I am a constant sucker for columns and arches.


Ooooh. I do like this ceiling better in black and white than in color.  Hmmmm.



Artist at work. In my favorite "artist shirt." Navy blue. Linen. 

Since I am shy and introverted I try never to get close to strangers...








Couch in hotel lobby. I sometimes walked through the front door dead tired. Flopped down on the couch and begged for cappuccino.... And, voila, there it was...

The public spaces in the hotel were covered  with wonderful, square,
black and white prints. Even in the elevator. I'll get the name of the artist.
He or she was very good. And a very good printer to boot.

I wanted Crew Café to be my favorite coffee house in all of Canada.
But it wasn't. That honor went to a small chain I first discovered in Vancouver and 
then re-discovered a block away from my hotel in Montreal. It's called,
49th Parallel and the coffee is superb. As are the freshly made, (on the premises)
donuts in all shapes and forms. Pistachio glaze anyone?

If I visit Montreal in the Winter I will certainly need a coat like this one.
I think it's stylish and would fit in well with the vibe of the city. 
Don't want to be caught out in some puffy North Face marshmallow jacket.....



Ah, the "beautiful people." You can always tell because they love the idea of 
the red carpet and the men wear more gold chains than the women. 
These also seem to be "that type of man" who wears his loafers without 
socks. An odd nod to 1970s fashion.




Yes. Mannequins. Get over it.



 All of these were originally shot in color/raw with the Leica and then converted to my taste. Some of you will like the effect while others will savage it. Don't really care because it looks good to me.

And, incidentally, I am the client....


10 comments:

Robert Roaldi said...

I've never been to a 49th Parallel, I need to try it.

If you ever travel to southern Ontario, there's a smallish coffee chain here called Balzac's that you should go to. Their very first outlet in Stratford, ON, is the kind of place where you could see yourself fomenting a revolution.

There's a short stretch of road in Ingleside, ON, called 45th Parallel Drive. It lies along the 45th parallel of course, and there's a plaque. I have a photo of the plaque somewhere.

Roland Tanglao said...

49th parallel coffee and doughnuts is my fav doughtnut. they started in Vancouver at 11th and Main but now they are in Downtown Vancouver (Georgia and Thurlow), Kitsilano, Vancouver on 4th and Montreal (i thought they one in Toronto too but i think i'm mis-remembering them)

John Krumm said...

Once it gets cold enough, everyone wants a puffy jacket!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

John, I guess that's absolutely true. Pardon my Southern mindset. I draw the line at those hats with the ear flaps.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

And, if it's cold enough does that mean we get to eat more donuts? Count me in.

Jeffry Hula said...

Kirk, as a Canadian, let me tell you that when it is below zero in Quebec, you will want a puffy jacket, fur lined boots, and those photographer's gloves Charles Glatzer sells. If you last more than 6 miles, then you can have 2X the coffee and donuts. I would recommend a trip to Quebec City many times over; very country french there. Cheers.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks Jeffry, I surrender. I'll go puffy and furry. Tentatively planning my Canadian return for mid-January 2024. Wanna see what "really cold" is like. Thanks! And double thanks for the 2x donuts!!!

Anonymous said...

I second Jefry's suggestion....you should see Quebec City....the old city...the walled city...the Plains of Abraham that ended the
Seven Years War and removed the French from North America. Maybe if Montcalm had won we would be speaking in a
different language. Tragic that both generals died during the battle.

I continue to enjoy your bog, your photos and your thoughts. Im at least 10 years older than you,
a retired "pro" and see many common threads in your life experiences.

Please continue your blog. You have important ideas to share.

Jim said...

Like you, I do most of my B&W conversion these days in LR but the NIK filters in PS also work great.

Anonymous said...

It feels like you've got a street photography style coming further into focus.
I think the two-mannequin reflection against the high-rises is an amazing composition, especially for B&W.