3.22.2020

Thinking about what lens Sigma should create just for me and my Sigma fp camera. And why on earth do I have two of the 45mm lenses?


The dynamic duo. Identical twins. 

I know there are a lot of people out there who don't understand how, in this day and age, a 45mm lens with a "slow" aperture of f2.8 and no built-in image stabilization can possibly cost $549. Who would buy it? and why? You can get a 50mm f1.4 lens from XXXXX and XXXXX for the same amount of money, etc. etc. 

When Sigma designed the 45mm f2.8 lens I'm not sure they had a giant market in mind. I'm pretty sure they were producing something that might appeal to certain photographers but those photographers would be a smaller intersection of the great mass of people who like to take pictures and people who love to buy gear. You need to like gear a bit to appreciate a well made lens but you also need to like making creative photos a lot to appreciate a lens that has a different character than all the other lenses in its focal length class. 

My first two experiences with lenses in the 40-45mm focal length range happened early on in my journey in photography. My first real camera (and one of the few from that era which I still have) was the Canonet QL17 which was a compact, rangefinder camera that came with its own fixed 40mm f1.7 lens. I used the camera heavily for the first few years of my infatuation with photography and it was my primary camera on a months long backpacking trip through Europe. The lens, when shot wide open and close to the subject would mimic the look you'd get with a long fast lens. The depth of field would be shallow and the subject well isolated. When used in combination with a good black and white film like Kodak's Tri-X the lens exemplified for me what it meant to create art with a camera. 
Paris. 1978. Canonet QL17

The combination of a focal length somewhere halfway between normal and 35mm seemed to be the ultimate all purpose chameleon; wide enough for nearly any street scene but still capable of making a nice and relatively non-distorted portrait. The focal length, through two years of constant use, imprinted itself on whatever part of my brain that determines the appreciation of one focal length over another. 

Relatively soon after my photographic initiation with the Canon rangefinder and its mystic lens I found myself in possession of a Leica camera called the CL. At the time it stood for compact Leica. Leica has dug up the name from their film camera graveyard and bestowed it on a newer digital camera but I think silliness like that is confusing and an affront to the older classic. 

The CL I owned came with one of the finest lenses I ever used. It was a 40mm Summicron f2.0. It was made and produced specifically for that camera. It was bright, sharp and utterly transparent (don't make me explain that...). The lens was made for the CL because the CL had a much shorter rangefinder base than the regular M cameras and so it was thought that the focusing inaccuracies made the 40mm, with it little bit extra depth of field, a better choice as a standard for that mini-system. It was also small and light. M users mostly avoided it because there wasn't a dedicated bright frame line in the finder for that focal length.
Canonet. Paris. 1978. 40mm.
B.Y. 1980. Leica CL, 40mm Summicron

I have beautiful photographs from the 40mm Summicron that were exceptionally easy to print. It's because the lens delineated all the tones so well and with such authority (again, don't ask me to explain).  I eventually got rid of the CL body because it was unreliable but held on to the lens until the end of the century. It was lost in the turmoil surrounding photography's journey to the dark side (digital). 

There were several other cameras that also featured really nice 40mm lenses; one that immediately comes to mind was the tiny Rollei 35S (which, now that I think of it might be considered as the predecessor of cameras like the Sigma fp = a small box with a decent f2.8 40mm Zeiss Sonar lens and one of the smallest 35mm film cameras of the day. Strictly zone focusing!). 

When Sigma came out with their new version of the slightly wider than 50mm "normal" lens I was initially hesitant and bought the L-mount 50mm f1.4 from Panasonic instead. While it's a magnificent, fast lens it's very, very clinical and very large and heavy. I more or less slid into the 45mm f2.8 because I'm lazy and the lens works so well as a walk around. But the more I've used it the more I've both appreciated it's "look" but also appreciated how well it is made and how convenient it is to use when you don't feel as though photography should make you sore, like a day at the gym.

I was on the fence about buying one until I read an interview with my favorite cinematic director of photography, Gordon Willis. He loved using the 40mm focal length as often as possible in his movie productions. One need only re-watch Manhattan to understand the power of that focal length. 

I was struck that he had a formula he used to make many scenes, it was his 40 / 40 rule. A 40mm lens used 40 inches up from the floor. The next day I went to my local camera store and bought my first copy of the lens. But this was well before I bought the Sigma fp camera. 

Initially I used the lens on the Lumix S1 and immediately liked the way it rendered faces. Not unsharp. Lots of detail and resolution but without the actinic sharpness that seems to go with current, high end optics. The lens is a little bit soft when used wide open and at the closest distances. One stop down at f4.0 and it's nicely sharp. By 5.6 it's got heaps and heaps of resolution but without too much of the acutance that makes images seem either sharper or too sharp. 

Once I got my Sigma fp camera two things happened: First, I've never wanted to take the 45mm Sigma off the front of that camera. It's as though some designer worked hard to make a combination which, when used together, creates wonderful images that are different than what I get from all other cameras. Second, it made me fall in love with the combination: the smallest full frame digital camera body available along with a lens that melds with the body to provide the perfect package -- from a handling point of view (with the accessory handgrip attached...). 

If we never get out from under the Novel Coronavirus we'll never again get to photograph commercially the way we were doing it in the pre-virus days. If we can't go back I'll quickly sell off all the stuff I've accumulated with the exception of the fp and the 45mm. And maybe I'll pick up a second fp just for luck. Two identical Sigma fp cameras and  matching 45mm lenses. Identical twins. 

But why two? Because, realistically, we'll get through this pandemic. At least most of us will. If Belinda and I are part of the lucky survivors there's so much pent up travel desire I can't think I'll ever want to go back to working for clients. And if we're traveling all over the place I don't want to stand in front of a beautiful subject and have a camera stop working. That happened to me before on a vacation in the 1980's and it wasn't fun. I want to have the assurance that I'll be able to go back to my hotel room and pull an identical camera out of the luggage, toss the same memory cards in it and be back out taking photographs immediately. It's like taking a long road trip. You probably wouldn't venture across the desert unless you had some extra drinking water in your car and a spare tire. Think of the second camera and lens as your spare tire. 

But, if I were to distill down all the gear, based on everything I've learned about photography since 1978, I would want one or two more lenses to include in the luggage as we wend our way around the world. 

The first would be a 75mm f2.8 that's about the size and design of the current 45mm lens. I don't need super speed but I'd love the same kind of design parameters when it comes to imaging. With a 24 megapixel sensor the 75mm would be long enough for most stuff since I could crop up to half the frame and still have good results. 

The second lens would be a similarly sized 21mm for those rare times when my back is up against the wall and there's still a little more I'd like in the frame. Plus, I like the eccentricity of the 21 versus the ubiquitous 20mm or even more cloying 24mm. And, you could make my 21mm an f4.0 or even f4.5 if you wanted to....as long as you kept it small and sharp. 

Ah. Canon. Why can't you make one of these as a digital camera?
It was absolutely perfect in its time. I'd buy two and never look back. 
Custom gaffer tape added by a younger Kirk....

So, why two lenses right now? Hmmm. Because it's a special lens with a limited market. Not that many people look beyond specs to character, and even fewer value the way a lens creates a look over impressions of high sharpness. If it's taken off the market because it doesn't sell I want to make sure I have an extra to use for years to come. Also, if the one lens never comes off the front of the Sigma fp then I certainly need the second one for all those times I'd like to use the lens on a Panasonic Lumix S1R....
Ian Fleming once wrote that worry is a price we pay for something which we may never receive. 

He also wrote, about James Bond's life: "It reads better than it lives." 

Perhaps a non sequitur but perhaps not.

16 comments:

Michael Ferron said...

I took a walk around deserted Pflugerville Center area today. I used a beautiful Japanese version Minolta XD loaded with Tmax 400 and yes a 45mm F2 lens. I snapped the front (and back) of closed business etc... I found a Old Chevy 1 ton dually in restored condition in the parking lot behind the Fire station. That made for a decent keeper.

I agree on 40mm or so being the perfect (well depends on what you shoot I guess) all around do it all ok focal length.

Kodachromeguy said...

You forgot another another classic from the past: The 75mm Planar or Xenotar lenses on the Rolleiflex are approx. 41mm if measured on the diagonal and converted to the 35mm format. You can do almost anything with a Rolleiflex (OK, not sports or birding).

HR said...

The Panasonic 20mm f1.7 for m4/3 is quite a nice lens with its FF-efl of 40mm. I have been using mine for 8 years on Panasonic and Olympus bodies.

Unknown said...

Back when my camera was a Nikon D300 and before that a D70, by far my favourite lens was a 28mm/2.8 which works out equivalent to about 42mm and pretty similar to what you describe. Coincidentally back in the 80s I went through a 40mm Canonet phase as well. Right now on my current camera i flip back and forth between 35 and 50 and can't get completely comfortable with either.

Gordon Buck Jr. said...

The Fuji X100 is about the same size and functionality as the old Canon GIII. Wish the Fuji had a 40mme lens.

Eric Rose said...

When I was a kid my father wouldn't let me touch his Rollei or 35mm SLR. So I ended up with his Minolta Hi Matic 7s. The Rokkor 45mm 1:1.8-22 (6 elements in 5 groups) lens on that camera was crazy sharp but had a wonderful look. I used it exclusively for two high school yearbooks. Today 40mm to 45mm is my sweet spot. I also have a bunch of older 50mm lenses I use because of the "look" they impart. For me clinical sharpness is a detractor.

Beautiful images of a beautiful lady BTW!

Eric

Dogman said...

The older I get the more I use my "normal" lenses. I'm less impressed with lens effects than I was when I was a young photographer. Recently the Tamron 45/1.8 came to my attention since it was on sale for a buck under $400. Reviews varied but posted photos from some fairly reliable sources looked sweet. With IS, weather resistance, metal body, 6 year warranty and a good sale price, I decided it was worth the try. Very sweet lens but being filled with all kinds of good technology and great glass, it's significantly heavier and larger than my Nikon 50/1.8G or 50/1.4D lenses. But the focal length has grown on me and I can't fault the sharpness or rendering at all.

Jeremy S said...

I love, love, love the Paris photo taken with the Canonet and the one immediately below of your wife. Where have you been hiding those? Stay well.

James said...

You are describing the trio of Sigma DP0, DP2, and DP3.

I have the DP2, anything short of daylight through a really big window and the AF is not fast enough to keep up with a small child, and you have to crank it above ISO 200, which with that sensor, you shouldn't.

But it seems Sigma is pretty sympatico to the line of thinking you described, so you may just get it.

Larry C. said...

I still have my old Canonet that I bought in high school. It no longer works, but is still on display in my studio.

D Lobato said...

I have a Voightlander 75mm f2.5 Color-Heliar in LTM mount that's adapted for my full frame mirrorless cameras. I highly suggest you try one. It's sharp but lacks that clinical sharpness you mentioned. It is compact and light weight, especially compared to modern 50mm f1.4 lenses. And prices for these are reasonable. I got mine used from a local photographer in Baltimore who bought the f1.8 version.

The 75mm Voightlander has provided awesome results with portraits of performing musicians, and for street shooting and people shots. If you want I'll even lend you mine to try out. It's that good.

rlh1138 said...

Really enjoyed that column, great hx, seeing Paris in the 70s, your thoughts on various photo topics, etc. Also, those things you didn't want to explain. I can guess why, getting all that feedback about what you would say, 'not measurable' etc. But!!! your thoughts on those 'intangible' things are very interesting to me. You do have a wealth of experience after all, and I like how you think about things. So... some time you're in the mood, or if not wanting to 'go public' maybe drop me an email, but how about some thoughs on 'very, very clinical' Afterall, I'm stuck here at home, tired of the grocery store, and my cats don't like going for walks.

Thx in advance!!

Ray H.

Mark the tog said...

In the late 70's, early 80's a flurry of compact 40-45mm lenses emerged. Some were panckaes, all were small.
Konica had a 45 mm f2 (IIRC) that was the shapest lens Modern Photography had ever tested.
I eyed the Minolta 45mm f2 but it was too close to my 35mm f2 that I loved.

The lens that had the most creative use was the Nikkor 45GN Nikkor that was not only compact but also allowed you to set the guide number of your flash and thus adjust the aperture as you focused. As it stopped down to f32 you could really get close and still have a great exposure. It was possibly the ideal social photography lens and for flash on camera applications, unequalled today.

Anonymous said...

Just a comment about 40mm in movie production: in 35mm movie film the image is recorded in portrait mode (so image size is say 24mm x 14mm for 1.7 aspect ratio) whereas for still photography is it 24mm x 36mm. So the 40mm lens used fo movie film has the same field of view as a 60mm lens used full format still film! So if you want 40-42mm FOV for movie film you need a 27-28mm lens!

see eg. https://noamkroll.com/28mm-lenses-the-secret-ingredient-for-achieving-a-film-look/

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hmmmm. Super 35.?

Anonymous said...

I'd second the Panasonic mft 20mm

I still use it for 80% of my stuff, slow (comparatively, these days) to focus... But lovely lovely rendering.

Mark