1.02.2021

A Production Photo from "Singin' in the Rain." Directed by Abe Reybold for Zach Theatre.

GH5 + Olympus 40-150mm Pro Lens.

 I was looking for this photograph after a friend of mine (once again) said that one couldn't really do professional work with a GH5 camera. I laughed as I made a living one year bouncing back and forth between a Panasonic GH5 and an Olympus EM5 mk2. 

Perhaps I should also send him the photo below for those times when he "instructs" me that no micro four thirds cameras can be shot at any ISO above 800 without horrendous noise and lack of sharpness. 

Leslie Anne Leal as the "Queen" in "Narnia"
A kid's production at Zach Theatre.
GH5 at 3200 ISO.


4 comments:

Gato said...

I gave myself a Panasonic G9 for Christmas. Accidentally shot the first tests at ISO 3200 and was totally amazed. Totally workable for 95% of all I do.

I have used mostly Panasonic since the G1 in 2008. They just keep getting better. Along the way I have bought 3 full frame cameras -- 2 Sony, 1 Nikon -- and sold all three. For me the small advantage in image quality does not justify the size, weight and cost of a FF system. If I made larger prints -- bigger than 30 inches -- it might be another matter, but 99% of all I shoot will never be bigger than web size.

Some folks disagree, but it's their money.

Andrea Bellelli said...

I suppose that the real question is the final intended use of the photo. Clearly a print is more demanding than a screen view, and a very large print might be demanding. However, I use either m43 or aps-c cameras and have never printed large enough to view any defect in these formats, per se, even using a 12 MPixel Olympus e-pm1. By contrast I saw plentiful of format-independent defects: shutter shock, misfocusing, insufficient shutter speed, etc.

Rene said...

Hi Kirk,

I have you to "blame/praise" for turning me on to the Olympus OMD cameras. At the time (2011), I was struggling to hold full frame cameras as my hand strength/grip began to rapidly deteriorate due to worsening arthritis. I thought I might be done with photography, then reading about the Olympus OMD on VSL led me to start looking in the camera. Nine years later they still work for me. I don't remember that noise has ever been a real problem and since I started using DxO for processing, there's nothing that can't be fixed.

Anonymous said...

They're great shots.

That lens is nifty too. I might spring for one sometime in lockdown 3.

Mark