9.10.2019

I woke up and read some sad news this morning. Photographer, Robert Frank has died.


When I drove through West Texas in 2010 I spent quiet evenings in small, out of the way hotels and motels, reading On The Road by Jack Kerouac. It's no coincidence that Kerouac wrote the introduction to The Americans, a revolutionary collection of 80+ images from the 1950's by Robert Frank. Kerouac and Frank mined the same subject matter = culture without the saccharine gloss of the post WWII, suburban perspective in which everything is fine, everyone is doing well and there is no inequity or angst.

To many photographers who are slightly older than I Henri Cartier-Bresson was their role model and an exemplar of modern photography. HCB was probably singled handedly responsible for the sale of more Leica rangefinder cameras than any photographer before or since. But to my generation it was Robert Frank's piercing, counter-cultural point of view that made him our "hero."

The magazines and art critics of 1958 ( the publication date of Frank's breakthrough book) were livid about the style, content and presentation of Frank's work. To read reviews published at the time one would think his work was a complete failure, but what strong legs the work has turned out to have. Since 1958 it seems that each generation of photographers is in some way influenced by work done over six decades ago. Much of the interest in "street photography" was initially created and generated by his work.

Of all the masters of 20th century photography whose work I've seen, and even experienced first hand, in the form of original prints there are only two whom I would list an primary inspirations. As photographers whose vision helped to shape my understanding of the power of photography. Those two are Richard Avedon and Robert Frank.

Of the two I see Avedon as an outlier; an artist who would have been just a successful as a painter or illustrator but I see Frank as the most pure example of the artist solely as a photographer. He exemplified to me what the real power of photography is all about.

Now, I know that Robert Frank moved on from photography to work in motion pictures but that doesn't diminish what he accomplished in a few years in the middle of the 1950's, working with no crew, no assistants, no entourage and no roadmap.

We should all stop, grab a copy of The Americans, sit quietly and just soak in the images. Whether you like it or not the images in this book single-handedly changed our shared language of photography forever.




9 comments:

Eric Rose said...

Robert Frank, Avedon and Edward Weston were/are my touchstones. I still enjoy sitting with them over a bourbon in a small quiet room. HCB I always felt was a poser. I know that sounds harsh but his images in most circumstances showed no connection to the subject. It was as if he stationed himself in a spot that would probably produce something and just waited for it to happen. I also felt he thought of himself as a little bit (or maybe a lot better) than those he photographed. Aloof with a fair bit of conceit is what I get from his body of work. Did HCB create some outstanding documentary images? Certainly he did. To argue otherwise would be silly. The difference between HCB, Frank and Avedon is that the latter two connected with and showed us the subjects souls and in do so showed us a bit of their's as well.

Eric

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about Frank; I don't like Avedon nearly as much, although his book "In The American West" (I'm not sure that's the precise title) is a masterpiece. My touchstones (to steal a good word from Eric Rose) have always been Ansel Adams, though I never tried photographing like him; Robert Frank; and a bit later, James Nachtwey, whose book "Inferno" is absolutely astonishing.

One huge difference between painting and photography (there are many differences, of course) is that great painters arrange and the endlessly adjust their images, striving for perfection, while photographers generally have to work with a given. When you see a photograph and you can say, "If that were a painting, it would be great," you're probably looking at an excellent work of art because somehow, life arranged and adjusted itself for the camera -- Ansel Adams "Moonrise" or Frank's American flag photos are cases on point. Nachtwey's war photos in Inferno are both astonishing and often repelling because they combine art and horror and reality as Goya did in his engravings "The Disasters of War," and Nachtwey's work is every bit as good as Goya's, IMHO.

JC

robert quiet photographer said...

So sad ! I'm a great fan of Robert 's works...so much emotion in it.
I recently bought "Come Again" which is a collection of his polaroids taken in Beirut 1991 and simply glued in the field with tape on a notebook. I read when Gerard Steidl saw it decided to print it as it was so powerful it was.
Thanks Robert for the inspiration you gave us

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

"the saccharine gloss of the post WWII, suburban perspective in which everything is fine, everyone is doing well and there is no inequity or angst." Well-written! This sounds like the mythological dream world that many of our cynical and evil politicians are promising a certain segment of voters. Maybe those voters should receive a copy of Frank's book to see what life was really like in that golden white era.

Mark the tog said...

While I was too, sad at the news, I was happy to note the length of his life and the fact that so many got to speak with a living artist of consequence rather than having to read someone's impression of him.

MB.Kinsman said...

Well stated Kirk. I took the time to pull out my copy of The Americans and The Lines of My Hand this afternoon. As you stated, like his work or not, the man impacted Photography in a very big way. I also recommend the documentary Don't Blink available for streaming. I accidentally found his NYC house when I moved my daughter to NYC to attend Cooper Union. Some of my favorite photos from that trip are of his place. In 2017, when revisiting NYC, I noticed the place next door to his was a fight club. I think Robert may have enjoyed that - at least as a statement.

hwulff said...

A good tribute to Frank. Although I didn't and don't think could have shot in his style, it was still a significant factor in my development.

Also on Monday, another notable photographer and a good friend of mine for many years, Fred Herzog from Vancouver died at 88. His most important work was shot in the 50's on Kodachrome, and he only received international recognition once his images were properly scanned and printed in the mid 2000's. Before that his colour street photography was only readily available through the slide shows he regularly invited friends to.

jiannazzone said...

Ironically, I had the pleasure of viewing my first original (not in a book) Robert Frank print on Sunday. It was special at the time but even more so now.

Anthony Bridges said...

For a change of pace you might visit Dallas-Forth Worth for a day. The Amon Carter Museum in Forth Worth used to have an exhibit of Richard Avedon work on display. I'm not sure if that's the case right now. They do have Gordon Parks on display starting this Saturday.

The museums in downtown Dallas have dramatically improved over the years with the DMA probably being the best one. The arts district is concentrated and easily walkable as well. Deep Elum is nearby with all of its hip wall murals.