8.07.2023

First thing on a Monday morning. Nirvana. A mile swim in the cold, clean, spring water at Deep Eddy Pool. Get that core temp down for a fun day of photography.


We're doing a good job at the Rollingwood Pool of keeping the water under 84° but Monday's swims at Deep Eddy Pool are becoming a special treat. Our usual pool (RW) is closed for maintenance every Monday so I get up early and drive over (five minutes?) to the park, show my pool pass to the gate guards and grab an early morning lane at Deep Eddy Pool. Spring fed, 33.3 yard lap lanes, shaded from the sun for most of the morning, and quiet. 

Today I got over just as the pool opened, took a deep breath and slid into the 70° water. It was delicious. And wonderful. I swam a leisurely mile, concentrating on good form and technique. After my swim I walked around the pool and took some photos. Just with a phone. Not even a recent phone. It's an ancient Apple XR. But I wanted to try and capture the feeling of the pool on a quiet Summer morning before everyone got their lives in high gear. 

Now swimming seven days a week. Maximum fun. 

Here are some photos: 













Swim early. Run after, in the morning. Return after your run to cool off. Swim some more. Magic.

5 comments:

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Don't mind the typos. I was in a rush to get to the pool this morning...

Mike Mundy said...

So, are you using an Apple Watch to track anything?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Mike, Not every day but at least once a week. I track heart rate mostly. The watch is a good lap counter except that it doesn't measure yardage when your arms are not moving --- like when kicking with a kick board or doing certain drills.

Mike Mundy said...

I just got one. The default daily exercise goal is 30 minutes per day. Which seems like a pretty low bar . . .

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hi Mike, You can go into the watch app on the iPhone and set your own goals for each different parameter. I have mine set for one hour of exercise in a day and my guilty pleasure is trying to make the ring go around further. Fun stuff. I also use the watch to occasionally check for Afib. Love the part of the app that measures steps and distance when walking or running. Oh...and it also tells time!