8.09.2023

I skipped swim practice this morning. It was cooler outside and partly cloudy. I thought a long overdue, long walk was a better option. For a change. Photos taken with the lovely and delightful Leica Q2.

 

The chic new color for Texas grass...

Conceptual art with orange posts. #1

Conceptual art with orange posts. #2

Staying on the path. Lamar Bridge #1 & 2




How hot is it in Texas right now?
Hot enough to melt this steel railing....
Naw. Structure damage from vandalism. 

building which constantly vexes those who must have straight up and down lines...

Lamar Bridge, part three.

My vague attempt at being an urban landscape photographer.



The "budget" side of the fence at Barton Springs. 

My twice a week foray into defending the part of the lawn under which lurks the septic system. 
Best not to encourage erosion. 

And the rationed watering schedule does help keep the trees alive.

I got a nice walk in. I have heightened regard for the Leica Q2.

I am awaiting the delivery of a 135mm f2.5 lens for the Fuji. 
Then the real fun of portraiture can begin in earnest. 

9 comments:

Roland Tanglao said...

"building which constantly vexes those who must have straight up and down lines..." <-- love this and the photo!

Robert Roaldi said...

Has the local news done a clichéd story of an egg cooking on the sidewalk?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Robert, No idea about the local news. Haven't watched a local newscast in ages. Maybe decades. I did the experiment myself though. I put a black, cast iron pan out in the sun and let it warm up for an hour, cracked an egg in the pan and it cooked solid in about 25 minutes. Sizzled a bit when I first dropped the egg in....

Hot enough to trigger a temperature warning on my Fuji camera after half an hour out in the sun last weekend...

karmagroovy said...

Maybe you can consider your long walk cross-training? ;-) Seriously, I would be curious to know how your resistance training has effected your swimming. It's a long held belief that as you add muscle mass you lose flexibility.

Craig Yuill said...

Watering lawns in our area has been completely banned - and we’re supposedly in a temperate rain forest. A nearby municipality is having a contest for the house with the driest, most golden lawn. Such contests might be coming soon to communities near you.

Jim Baldwin said...

Nice images, very relaxed, probably more the photographer rather than the camera.
Kirk, were these all uncropped. Trying to get a feel for the 28 mm perspective. I 'see long', 50 mm is wide and 75 mm favored, but I'm on the list for a Q3.

Jim

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Craig, we're psychotic Texans. We just keep paying for that tanker truck to come by and dump thousands of gallons of Evian water on the yard. Anything to keep it greener than the one next door.

(Kidding. Gently browning our yard as I type this....).

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

thanks Jim, Mostly un-cropped. I don't actually remember cropping any of them. I used to think I would not get used to the 28mm but it's growing on me.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

karmagroovy, My coach warned me about bulking up to much. You can build the strength you need without adding too much mass by keeping the weight low and the reps high. Also, strength training should never be a substitute for yoga or other flexibility work --- you need both to go fast.