9.05.2013

My Korean photographer friends and host introduce me To their cuisine... And to rice wine and beer.


I spent the day shooting around Dresden and Leipzig and I'm coming home with many technically good files. The jpeg files out of the Galaxy NX are color neutral, saturated and sharp. We can argue the artistic merits next week when I've had time to edit down and do some post processing to some of my files...

When I got back here to the hotel I turned on the camera, opened the microSD card folder right on the camera and starting reviewing the files on the giant rear screen. No computer needed. I selected seven and sent them directly to Google+ DURING The review process. They uploaded directly using the hotel's wi-fi network. 

As soon as I hit send on the camera I turned my attention to pecking out these two blogs on my second generation iPad. Once the camera completed my requested upload to Google+ the camera went back to it's automatic task of sending all of my big image files to Drop Box for back-up and sharing. With a hundred or so hipsters slamming the hotel's network well into the night my upload of 450 nine megabyte files might take all night. But I don't need to care, I'll stick the camera on a USB charger and not only will my flies be transferred but when that nasty alarm clock goes off tomorrow early the battery will have a fresh charge. Seems like pretty cool multitasking to me.

Which in some vague way brings up our dinner Korean technology workers at tables on sides of us. We fried stuff at our table and washed down each helping with rice wine mixed with beer. That may be why my typing looks all crooked.

Tomorrow we'll head over to the IFA show and see what's happening...if the rice wine doesn't get me first.

5 comments:

Frank Grygier said...

Just so you know the camera is an alarm clock!

steveH said...

Lucky you. Food-wise, Korean can be pretty darn good.

Jason Hindle said...

Looks like you've had an amazing time.

This whole uploading things to Dropbox business is the wave of the future. My Samsung Galaxy S3 does it, and it's useful in so many little ways. A couple of weeks back, I had an altercation with a bus driver (insisted the bus stop I get off at is not valid for his bus). So, I snapped a few photos of the evidence (the bus and licence plate, the bus stop, and crucially the timetable at the bus stop). When I got to the office, I made my coffee while the photos uploaded to dropbox, and then fired off an email to the bus company, copied to the transport authority. Phone cameras can be useful.

I'm constantly finding it useful in little ways like this (photo of a receipt sent to Olympus, to claim a free lens, for example). For serious photography, it's more useful as a backup. After all, no matter how fast your internet connection, direct from camera to Aperture (or Lightroom) is always going to be faster than importing from Dropbox, over an internet connection.

Michael Chuang said...

Was the man with the shaved head really that alarmingly red in real life? Too much sun (ouch!), strange mixed lighting or the effects of either spicy food or alcohol? (If the last, ironic that it's a white guy and not an Asian -- in general it's the Asians who get all red with a drink or two due to the prevalence of an alcohol-processing enzyme deficiency among east Asians.)

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

It's actually just a man sitting under the wrong colored light source. He's no redder than me. And I'm not that read.