10.04.2023

A "Poor Man's" Leica Monochrom. Canadian adventures in black and white. Oops! I meant Monochrome.... (someone asked....).

 

the artist at work. Does the Intercontinental Hotel have nice restrooms?
Indeed they do. 

After getting my fabulous diploma certifying that I had indeed graduated from the University of Texas at Austin I threw away all the valuable knowledge I had gained over my seven long years of disciplined studies in several fields and became.....a photographer. Believe me. That had never been my plan.

My goal at the time was to make images like the Life Magazine photographers of the 1950s and 1960s. Grainy, gray collages of detail layered over out of focus backgrounds with both a sharpness and a softness the intersection of which remains, to the this day, indescribable. Alas, it turned out that I was not a natural artist. I had to find my way through photography like I've found my way through nearly everything else in this life. By putting my shoulder to the grindstone and pushing relentlessly. I had (have?) no natural sense of composition and my ability to combine colors is almost laughably poor. Seems the only natural ability bestowed upon me by the fates, the gods or happenstance is the ability to doggedly pursue a task or a craft until I have achieved some measure of competency. And then to go on trying year after year to knock the rough edges off my skills. 

While some "artists" and "writers" seem to love to trot out and confess to all the bad decisions they've made in life; perhaps in order to forgive themselves for some innate sloth or infection of procrastination, I have no big dramas caused by poor analytical decision making to fall back on as fodder for the blog. Or to excuse my photography. I've never been divorced. Never fired from a job. Never bankrupt (still time though....). Never suffered from disease, obesity or addiction. In fact, from my point of view, it's been pretty much smooth sailing. 

I guess the smooth journey and a life as an eccentric artist are mutually exclusive. Perhaps I should take a workshop in eccentricity just to see if anything sticks. I always read stories of the tortured artists, or the painters and writers tormented by their own devils. I'm always fascinated by the dysfunction. While my big conundrums have revolved around questions like: which jobs to accept and which to turn down? Or, what to have for dinner? Or, is a rollover to a Roth IRA a good move in a down economy? (yes!). Or, should I bring home some flowers for B.? (the answer is always "yes"). 

by the same token....

Some people seem to have a natural ability to make great black and white images right out of whatever digital camera they may have in hand at the moment. I'm more plodding. More of an endless "trial and error" guy. But part of my mindset is that while I may not have a natural ability to conjure exactly the right tones on demand I can nearly always put my own super power of doggedly concentrating on trial and error until I have something just right. Or as just right as I can get it. And on every adventure I try to put aside some time just to experiment. To try to get closer to what the cool guys are able to do. 

I know that some are very successful shooting in color, in raw, and then using the majestic power of post production software to convert the images into glorious black and whites. I lack that talent. And, I like to see the images as they'll turn out by looking at the rear screen of the camera --- just to be sure I got something right.

I've tried the "black and white" settings on Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony and Leica cameras and there is a difference. I think most camera makers just default to the process of removing the color saturation to make a monochrome file. The Leicas I've used seem to alter the color filtering characteristics of the shot when set to black and white. It's like a head start. 

Some black and white aficionados seem to prefer an endless range of tones from "just subtly black" to the "vaguest hint of detail" highlights and mostly gray, gray, gray in between. Nice for 1960s, 1970s landscapes but not quite my cup of tea. Certainly not my cup of double espresso. I want "bite" in my black and white images. 

When I use any of my various Leica camera models for black and white I start by switching to Jpegs. You can set the camera to show black and white while shooting raw but when you get into the processing stage the image shows all the color. I want the image to maintain its original integrity all the way through. So I choose the least compressed Jpeg file setting. Then I engage the "black and white" setting in the profiles. 

I think the standard B&W profiles, in all cameras, are all too flat so I increase the contrast setting. In Leicas there are only three basic contrast settings: zero, +1 and +2. Of course you can always decrease contrast by the same amounts but who would want to do that??? I add the snap of +1. I find plus two to be over the top. 

If there's a lot of detail in the subject matter I also nudge the sharpness setting up to +1. I'll live just fine with the occasional halo. 

When I pull the files into Lightroom (my fave) the only big move I make to tweak the files is to move the clarity slider over to +20. This increases contrast in the mid-range, where files need it the most. If you are one of those "long tonal range" folks you'll likely want to ignore every single word of this working methodology. If you try it you might burn your eyes from the snap and happiness of the files. But I'm here to tell you that to my way of seeing photographs treated this way are much better for web use.

Flat, low contrast files always remind me of the early days of digital when people mistakenly tried using super-wide gamut profiles like ProPhotoRGB for web and inkjet print work with the faulty idea that any of the other profiles would just be throwing away huge parts of the color space. Nope, the smaller profiles better fit the final outputs. Too big a gamut made everything look flat, pale and muddy. 

I output everything as an sRGB file. It's more or less universal for web use. But it will change. It's not locked in forever. 

Here are some samples I shot one evening with the Leica M240 set up as I described.  And, yes, you can focus a rangefinder in low light. Maybe better than your cameras can AF. Just a thought.













Not in a museum but in the public spaces of the Underground City. RESU.
Along with a big, endless horizon pool.










8 comments:

Robert Roaldi said...

Multiple mirror reflections!

Norm said...

I completely agree about the need to boost contrast a bit, from the “normal” B&W settings, and recent the Leica sensors, converted to black and white, produce images that look great. Also, I know that you have already considered the implications of your most recent foray into the realm of the Q and return to the M cameras. But the combination of the live view finder and the rendition of the Q2M sensor is magic.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Love the Q2... but for that great lens and the EVF. Love the M240 for its quirkiness and the colors.

Roland Tanglao said...

love the HH photo!!!!!!!!! so great expression!

Eric Rose said...

Looks like you had a great time Kirk. Your voodoo focusing skills were well honed. Especially the title shot. Left eye closed and viewfinder cover with fingers. Now come on you're just showing off lol.

Andrea Bellelli said...

Kirk, whatever you say I love your bw photos, especially your portraits! And let me add a more technical point: as far as I understand, a Leica monochrom does not demosaicize the sensor data, whereas a Bayer one does. This means that on a monochrom you can use a red or yellow filter and do true monochromatic (i.e. limited wavelength range) photography. This may turn useful in some circumstances.

Bob F. said...

"Grainy, gray collages of detail layered over out of focus backgrounds with both a sharpness and a softness" seems like a pretty good description of the "HH" images. The night shots match my recollection of 1950s LIFE and LOOK photographs almost exactly.

Craig Yuill said...

I recently started playing with the Monochrome picture control setting on my DSLR for nighttime photography, with images saved as RAW+JPEG format. I actually prefer the out-of-camera tones in the JPEG images to the equivalent RAW conversions in Lightroom. I’m not sure the images match those from your Leicas in terms of tonal quality, but they do please my eyes.