10.06.2023

I'm pretty sure I was supposed to photograph all of these spaces with a wide angle lens. So I used the Q2.

When I travel by myself for the singular pleasure of taking photographs for no good reason I always try to put together a "wish list" or "tentative agenda" for each day. I rarely put more that five things on my list but I'm generally happy if I get around to actually completing three. Sometimes the first thing on your list turns out to be a gold mine of fun and visual stimulation and in those cases I think you'd be a bit insane to want to abandon that and compulsively move on with your check list. 

The list is more a motivational device meant to move you from that quiet moment of enjoying a just delivered latté from the balcony of your hotel room out onto the streets and, if you are in a hurry, into the Metro. My list for one day in Montreal might include: 1. Marché Jean-Talon. 2. Climb up Mt. Royale. 3, Go to the big plaza called The Esplanade. (It's a vast outdoor space that connects all of Place des Arts' show venues at the Quartier des Spectacles. It's an immense public gathering space at the heart of the Quartier des spectacles).  4. See all the Metro stations. 5. Have dinner at Au Pied de Cochon (I skipped the "duck in a can" and ordered the pork shank....).

But the understanding is that I'm not wed and bound to go to all of the spots on the list. They are by way of suggestions. One that particular day I did the first two things on the list and then went totally off script and explored neighborhoods. But the list was there if I came up short.

I did go out one day to see Metro stations. I was inspired by a young YouTuber/Photographer named Yvonne Hanson who went around to see which Metro stations she thought were most architecturally interesting. Seemed like a good project to me so I gave it a try. Since the entirety of a morning would be spent traveling through tunnels, corridors and medium sized stations I thought I'd ditch the M240 and depend solely on the Q2 for the morning. It was a good choice. I guess "wide" is generally a good choice for the interior spaces of industrial locations. 

Since the whole Metro/Mass transportation thing is mostly novel and unknown to Central Texans, who are near wholly dependent on their cars and trucks I didn't have a real handle on how to shoot this particular topic so I did what photographers everywhere do; I winged. 

Traveling around with just the Q2 is really freeing. The 28mm takes some getting used to but it's a sweet lens and sharp everywhere. With a nearly 50 megapixel sensor and the crop lines for 35mm, 50mm and even 75mm you can punch in and see how your composition will look and then, in post your can crop down to the exact parameters you saw initially in the finder. Sure, cropping to the 15 megapixels of the 50mm frame or the 7.5 megapixels of the 75mm frame isn't going to be optimal for the making of large prints but for web use, and when under composition duress, it's nice to have options --- or at least guides. Optical "training wheels?"

I've been on Metros in Rome, Paris, Berlin, London and NYC and I think Montreal has the very best system. No trash, no graffiti, no bad smells, no pushy crowds and very helpful staff. Every ride was perfect. I will admit I don't think I'll ever sneak shots of people in the train cars. Doesn't seem fair. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Not my cup of cappuccino. 









The Q2 and the M240 with the 50mm make a nice combo. Just wish they both took the same battery type. That would be so cool. 

7 comments:

Bob said...

Just catching up after you got back from your trip, and me from mine and plunging back into work. Typing with one hand as I broke an arm in Tuscany (there are worst places to do this, let me know). Caps are difficult.... Love the photos, and the observations. So, I'd love to hear more on the iPhone/"Real Camera" conundrum. I love the freedom of just carrying "one thing" but i can really see the difference in shots taken with my actual camera--is it just a composition hangover from my early experiences? Has the technology passed me by? Is there a real difference, or is it only experential? NOTE: its hard to type one handed.

Robert Roaldi said...

The aspect of living in Montreal I miss most is the Metro. Driving yourself around on congested city streets seems so ridiculous in comparison. And that's coming from someone that used to participate in grass roots motorsports and that likes to drive. Sitting at red lights and droning down endless mutil-lane highways is not what I call "driving", that's just bad transportation design.

Dick Barbour said...

Nice shots of the Metro; wouldn't it be nice to have such in the Austin area? You didn't mention the one in Prague, but it's nicely decorated, efficiently run, and worthy of photographing. If you're looking for a next destination and haven't been there, I highly recommend it and you should take B., for sure.
Dick

adam said...

I had this day in Bruges, Belgium where I decided to look for nice lighting and stuff which was absolutely punishing and harder than you might think in this closely packed medieval town but did have some nice images to show for it at the end, I think I'd been dissapointed with the more haphazard approach I'd been taking (but am back to haphazard again)

there are various "suncalc" websites that show the direction of the sun on a map at the time of your choosing which I've used a bit in my home town but never when away, faizal westcott if you've seen him on youtube researches the route he'll take in a street photography video in advance on google streetview, generally if I'm going somewhere I don't want to do a lot of research and planning in advance, prior to Bruges I was in amsterdam where I used to live so know it well, and had the idea that I wanted to take pictures of people riding bikes, which I got in abundance, I had been planning another trip which would have included their branch of IKEA, a lot of people don't drive there and practically strap a flat pack kitchen to the back of their bike and attempt to ride home, but covid got in the way, I should probably return...

Mike Marcus said...

Fun photos! The glass wall is my favorite. One of your photos shows there are many more. Any more photos of these to share? Thanks.

JohnW said...

Never completely explored the Metro network; its usually get from A-to-B. But I do remember the magnificent glass mural in Honore-Beaugrand. I still have a shot of it taken with a Rolleiflex on CT18. A half century later they are still as rich and luscious as the day I shot it. Will add the Metro network to my "Must Do" list.

Oddly enough, there's a restaurant in Gatineau, across the River from Ottawa, named La Pied de Cochon. I had the Duck a L'orange. Excellent!

Maybe Montreal should send you a bill. You had WAAAAAYYYY too much fun.🤣😎

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

You know it JohnW, and I will return and spend more $$$ there in the near future. I want to see Montreal in the middle of the Winter!!!

The SL2 would be the perfect camera for harsh cold...