8.26.2023

Hat review. Grudgingly admitting the hat has some value.

Tilley Hat.

I took the Tilley Hat out for a spin this morning. Today and tomorrow will be days with very, very strong sunlight. I thought today would be a good test for how the hat actually works; not just its fashion appeal. 

Even though I ordered my usual size (7-5/8ths) the hat was, at first, a bit tight. But being made of cotton material it has since relaxed and now feels comfortable. Someone asked about the straps. I would be more caustic and call them the "damn" straps. I understand that they exist in order to lash your head to the hat in high winds but when not in use the consensus is to shove them up into the interior ceiling of the hat and ignore them. But you can feel the straps across your head so the straps are soon to be removed and carefully disposed of. If it's windy one day I'll take my hat off and hold it in my hand until the wind abates or until a nice coffee shop presents itself.

Being white the hat stands out more than an olive drab or dull dark blue would. But here's the deal. I wear the hat for protection from the direct rays of the sun and as may be evident to even the slowest minds, white reflects more infra-red energy while the darker colors absorb the energy and continually warm the hat. You may worship the darker colors if you live on the snowy plains outside of Reykjavik and need every calorie of warmth you can gather. We have an opposite need during "hat season" in Austin. We are trying to move heat away from our bodies and, by extension, our heads. 

Part of the lack of charm of this particular hat is the white color. Would you have me be a fashion influencer or a realist about the use and nature of even the butt ugliest hat if it serves its actual purpose well?  But let's move past the color...

The wide brim does a good job blocking sun from my face and my ears. I'll give it a good score there. I wish the brim would hold a set form. It's....flaccid. It droops. And sometimes the droopy brim occludes my peripheral vision to the top and sides. I can live with that; for the most part. 

Another plus of the hat is the material it's made from. Cotton. As such it absorbs moisture well. In fact, today my hands were perspiring and my camera was getting drops of sweat on it. I pulled off my hat and used its absorbency to my advantage, swabbing off both my hands and the camera. The hat handles sweat much better than hats made from artificial materials. Nice. Good job. The hat works as a hand towel. 

I've read that the hat floats. It's even mentioned on the label in the hat. I have not tried that feature just yet. I'll wait for inadvertency to rear its head. 

My one non-aesthetic beef with the chapeaux has to do with its construction as it relates to keeping the top of one's head cool. Yes. It's white cotton canvas material. It reflects most heat. But your head itself also radiates heat. The hat is constructed with thick layers on the top panel and no real way to vent the build up of heat from one's own head. There are holes on both sides but they are not well positioned to allow air flow through the hat. It's closed compartment. 

One inelegant solution is to thoroughly soak the entire hat in ice cold water and then depending on an overall cooling through evaporation until the hat is eventually made dry. I have to say I have a number of hats the materials of which are much, much better at transferring heat from the top of my head. I did try the evaporative cooling method by soaking just the top panel in the cool water of a water fountain and it was nicely cool for the best part of an hour ---- before it dried out and began to heat up again. 

Someone yesterday mentioned that I should try a Pith Helmet and I actually think that's a great idea since those hats sit above your head, suspended by a head strap and a system of suspension straps that mostly ensure the circulation of air through the sides and top of the helmet. Sadly, this is not a feature of the Tittey Hat. At least not the original model. The famous model. 

Yes, I have seen the ones with mesh around the tops. A design stolen from a number of different makers who brought those top mesh designs to market at least a decade before the Canadians. But why buy a copy if you can just go to the source of one of those? 

The hat (now that I've removed the onerous straps/strings) is very comfortable and does a very good job of keeping UV off my epidermis. The stratified squamous epithelial tissues from my neck up are thankful. And yes, the material is great for wiping off cameras, hands and faces. The material is also good at soaking up cool water and then slowly benefitting me with its evaporative cooling effect. 

I'm sure the hat will become more and more comfortable as it "wears in" and I am habituated enough to ignore it completely while wearing it. Having looked in the mirror a couple of times while wearing it I had the sinking feeling that I should stop being very active and submit to a routine of golf, bitching about what things cost, doing my own repair work, and perhaps taking up bridge. Horrors.

The hat will stick around for use on ultra-bright days. Sunglasses are mandatory so that, at a glance, I can remain somewhat anonymous while so festooned. 

And there you have the final review of the Tilley "Traditional" hat. Glad it was on sale...

The Texas Tradition of suntanning the grass. Hot by 10 a.m. Soaring to 105°+ today. Saying a prayer for Austin's trees. 
 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no opinion on hats, but it appears that in paragraph eight, first sentence, your fingers forgot what you were reviewing.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks for catching that! I've corrected it. Appreciated. Sometimes I type faster than I think....

SW Rick said...

I can see you at the next pool session wearing the floating hat! If your muscles cramp, just hold onto the floating hat!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

SW Rick, Funny you should mention it but a while back I did a one hour kicking session with a kick board and I wore a bucket hat for the whole set. Gotta keep that sun at bay...

Not sure the Tilley Hat can float someone who weighs a whopping 155 pounds. I'm normally 5 feet, eight inches tall and 155 pounds but with the new "Trump Surrender Math" I'm now six feet tall and 180 pounds of chiseled muscle.

Dogman said...

Not a good idea to remove the straps. It's part of the design for sizing the hat to your head. Just adjust until correct and then use the strap at the back of your head to hold it in place--like the Canadian Mounties did with their Smokey The Bear hats. If it's windy, move the strap to the front and use it under the chin.

I have one of the Tilleys with a totally ventilated crown--everything except the very cap of the crown is ventilated. I used it to work in my yard in the past. The ventilation workedd well. Despite getting saturated with sweat and coated with dust many times over, it still looks good today after many washings, dryings and restretchings. But since I live in Louisiana with heat and humidity like that found in central Texas, I've accepted that anything worn on the head will impede the radiation of heat. Even a cold, wet towel under a hat will be a warm, wet towel very quickly. Ice stands no chance against the sun and the heat. You just accept being miserable when outside in the summer (especially THIS summer) and then retreat quickly to air conditioning and rehydration.

ASW said...

Does your hat have a velcro tab/loop on the inside of the crown? If so, you use it to secure the front (under chin) portion of the strap when you're not using it. As Dogman mentioned, the back portion of the strap should be adjusted to fall just below the curve of the back of your skull.
Normal winds - back strap
Tropical storm winds - front and back strap
Hurricane winds - front and back strap while holding onto something anchored to the ground. Or go inside.

Kenneth Voigt said...

Tittey Hat. ?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Yeah Kenneth, don't get sucked in....

Anonymous said...

Tilley actually makes one with all the features you want and mine has held up for about 18 years. Not made of cotton, brim that holds its shape, ventilation all around and still floats. Don’t put straps on your head—let them both hang down in back until you need them then put one under your chin and the other in back. You won’t even feel them when they’re in back.

D. Wayne said...

https://kavu.com/collections/headwear-2/products/chillba

I’ve got one of these conical hats that gets me a lot of compliments.

Robert Roaldi said...

The red-brown rust colour of that dried dying grass is quite attractive.

Anonymous said...

Did not know this was a Tilley hat. I have one or very similar. Bought in south of Italy for walking in the mountains in 30 C pluss. Soak the hat with water every now and them and the slow evaporation keeps you cool as well as providing shade.
I wonder where I have stored it now that famous photographers use it?

ajcarr said...

Kirk: You didn't read the sizing guide on the Tilley site, did you? Quote:

At Tilley, our hats are designed to sit comfortably low on the head. The proper fit should be slightly loose, as gravity will keep your Tilley in place.

Step 1: Wrap a string around the widest part of your head, located 1 to 2 cm above the top of your ears and brow line.

Step 2: Determine the measurement with a ruler, then add 2 cm to the total, for comfort.

Step 3: Convert that final measurement into your hat size in the chart below. [Sorry, you'll need to go to their site for the table.]

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

How complicated should it be to buy a freakin hat? AJ. The hat sucks. Sorry. Not only is it ugly but now you've let me know that even trying to get one that fits is fraught with frustration and peril. Bucket hats have evolved. Tilley hats seem not to have.

It's now my emergency, trunk of the car, desperation/last resort in the desert option. But it is fairly good when used to wipe dead bugs off the windshield of my car.