8.27.2023

I've thought long and hard about why photography seems less enjoyable with every new iteration of cameras.

 

Street scene in Siena. At dusk. 

I've spent some time thinking about what it is that's making photography less interesting. To me, at any rate. There is a line of thought that says we were just "technicians" back in the film days but now people have been freed from the "drudgery" of taking photographs and can now just concentrate on "seeing" the photos they want to capture; unfettered by having to learn how to photograph.

One can look at the photo above and think about it in two ways. First, I don't think we actually walked around in the streets and thought to ourselves; "Here is a unique opportunity to hone my craft and show off my skills." Instead, speaking for myself, I was too busy experiencing the differences in my culture versus Italian culture and trying to find ways to show what I was thinking and how I was experiencing the "newness" of it all. Not trying to show how sharp the corners of a lens were when used wide open. In fact in most of my favorite images from that time I was printing with an intention to blur the corners of the frames more, not less.

When I look at this image I think either: "Wow, we really knew what we were doing back then. I remember that it was dusk and the light was low. I had ISO 400 speed film loaded in the camera. In fact, that was the fastest speed film I took with me that month. I was focusing a slow lens (f3.5) with a long focus throw, using a dim ground glass screen in a waist level finder with the image reversed. I set the manual exposure with the aperture and shutter speed controls solely based on experience and a paper "cheat sheet" from an old Kodak film box. I was photographing with a 100mm lens at its widest aperture and, of course, there was no such thing as in camera image stabilization in 6x6cm cameras at that time.

Then, after carrying the exposed film around for the next several weeks, carefully shepherding it through airport security with the dreaded X-ray machines I got it home and in total darkness rolled it onto a metal reel and put it in a developing tank. I prepared film developing chemicals and carefully adjusted the temperature by putting the metal tank in a cooling bath until I zero'd in on the exact temperature for development. I used decades of previous experience to perform an exacting agitation regimen after which I drained the developer and added stop bath (at the same temperature) to the tank, after which I replaced the stop bath with fixer. All timed by a big timer with mechanical hands and glowing numbers. 

Once the film was fixed I could remove it from the developing tank and, while still on its reel, perform an archival washing. The final step was to soak the film for a minute in a solution of distilled water and a product called "Photo Flo" which prevented water spots from forming on the drying film. 

Once the film was dried I cut it into strips of three and placed the strips into a plastic page so I could make contact sheets. Once the contact sheets were made and dried I could sit down with a cup of coffee and carefully review each frame with a magnifying loupe and decide if any of them were worth making larger prints from. 

And that was a whole other process. Is it any wonder that we loved the images that turned out, through all the processes and time, well enough to be proud of? We had so much invested into the experience by the time the image was fully realized on a piece of printing paper. And the print got shared with maybe ten or twenty friends and family members before either being framed for a wall or stuck in a box with some future goal yet to be crystalized."

But in essence what I was really thinking when I took the photo was: "How stylish these people are! How gloriously fit they look. How fresh and happy they look strolling through a lovely urban space; maybe on the way to a nice dinner or a party at a friend's house. How much better dressed they are than people back home! How comfortable they look in their own skins."

Is it any wonder that we have a nostalgic idea of the value of a photograph? 

Or I could now think this instead: "How lovely to be freed up from the drudgery of making photographs in the old fashion way. To be able to walk down a street in any kind of light, see something, whip a digital camera up to my eye, have the camera focus instantly on the closest eye of the subject in front of it, instantly compute the correct exposure and white balance, stabilize the camera's movement caused by my very human hands and capture the image with a profoundly greater dynamic range than we could ever have dreamed of in the film days. 

If I'm in a hurry I can punch up the colors and sharpness in the camera and then send the image to my phone and upload it to my website, to Instagram, to a blog and to a forum in just minutes where it will then be seen by hundreds or thousands of people all over the world, and all without breaking a sweat, learning any skills beyond recognizing a scene of interest and having the motivation to push a few buttons --- from the start to the finish of the project.

It's so wonderful to live in an age when making photographs has been "democratized" to such an incredible extent. And look! My investment in time, skill, and patience is minimal to non-existent. Why do those old guys make such a big deal about the sanctity of the process?"

I'm torn between both ways of thinking. I've done photography both ways. And, as I've winnowed down the thought process to an easy to digest core I've decided that enjoyment of photography.boils down to two things which don't depend on each other for our satisfaction. 

One is that old saw which says: "It's not the destination that is ...... (fun, rewarding, valuable, rewarding, etc.) it's the journey." The value is in the joy of walking, seeing, crafting, birthing an image. One gravitates to subject matter that interests them or immerses them into the process. But it's the mastery of the whole thing that brings a smile to some faces. A quick analogy is that of music. Sure, you can sit on your butt and listen to your audio system playback the work of a musician that everyone agrees they like or..... you can learn to play an instrument for yourself. You can enjoy the process of actually making music. Of interpreting other people's music. But it's the ability to make the music that brings the joy. Not knowing how to build a violin. Learning how to play it. Not knowing how a stereo amplifier is constructed. Not parsing which pick-up is the ultimate one for your turntable. No, the real joy is (or should be) the music itself. And the reward of mastering your own ability to create music is triumphant and brimming with satisfaction. The journey. The learning. Those are great. In the end it's the song that brings the feeling of creativity. It's the creative immersion that brings satisfaction.

It's the same, I think, in photography. It's not the gear or the film or the CMOS versus CCD knowledge that makes photographers happiest, it's being able to translate a scene into a photograph. How to make something sharable. Valuable to you as a piece of art. A conduit for communicating a vision worth sharing. 

The other thing that drives satisfaction with photography is its use to record an object or event or person  that you find so compelling that you want to record your idea of that person or thing for eternity. It's not even the process that attracts you but rather the subject itself. The photography you do exists to work in the service of translating, glorifying or sharing a vision or interpretation that's significant to you. And one that you would feel strongly about photographing no matter what camera or lens you have with which to film it. Subject driven photography?

I love the process of making photographs but I love more the result of photographing what I love to look at. The gestures I see mean more. The expressions are the immediate reward. The freezing in time of something I find infinitely beautiful. And being able to come back to the image again and again.

So, back to my original assertion that photography seems less enjoyable to me as we have more immediate and facile cameras at our disposal. I think it boils down to two things. First, we lack a real investment in our process. A deeper investment. Without the labors of creation we miss feeling attached to the process and to the outcome. When something becomes too easy and too automatic it also gets homogenized and represents less value to us, culturally. But secondly, as a result of things like the pandemic, the economy, the transition away from lively downtowns filled with interesting people to everyone working remotely, and more, we see fewer and fewer interesting things. Fewer targets of visual joy to immerse ourselves in. As we become more guarded we are availed of fewer things of wonder.

Perhaps finding value in an image is like raising a child. There is no "mastery" for child reading but the deepest bonds come from just spending lots and lots of time with them.

And part of the decline in value we're feeling (or at least I am) is our own personal experiences of having stepped back from closer kinships with people in public. Being more isolated. Less available.

I just looked up from my computer monitor, taking a break from thinking and typing, and I'm looking at the wall behind the desk. It's filled with prints. Two of B. with her strong and warm smile. One of Ben when he was about five years old, sitting at our favorite hamburger joint which is now long gone. One of Anne B. who was a brilliant and thoughtful assistant and still a close friend. Renae in her exuberant  youth sitting with a Yashica Mat 124 camera in her hands staring right into my camera. Ben holding Christmas lights. Jennifer with swim goggles, her face having been spritzed with warm water for the photograph. Ben at three working on his blueberry colored iBook. A black and white print of a Russian model staring into the lens of my camera while standing on the Spanish Steps in Rome. 

None of these were exercises in just operating a camera. None are visual poems dedicated to acutance. All were exercises in bonding, at least temporarily, with the energy and the spirit of the subjects. All young and beautiful. All filled with such potential and promise. 

I guess what I'm really saying; or coming to grips with, is that we grow old. The things around us change. No camera can make up for the sadness that comes, inevitably, with the passage of time. And no great camera will make it better. We constructed ideas of beauty in our youth. Things of beauty can be so ephemeral.



22 comments:

Yoram Nevo said...

Thanks for writing

Roland Tanglao said...

i am grateful we have the internet and are able to share our thoughts and photos and videos. super grateful that you share them with us. The best photo is the one actually take and share (even if it's just a print you're sharing with 1 other person or yourself!)!

JC said...

Different kinds of people have different kinds of enthusiasms, and if it's harmless, it's all good. I really like visual art, photographs and paintings, stuff that comes through your eye. For years i had a small but decent darkroom because I wanted my photographs to look just so, but I didn't much like the darkroom experience; I put up with it because I couldn't get anyone to make prints that looked like I wanted them to look. I had a bunch of early digital cameras, which I liked right away, but when I got my hands on a Nikon D3, with processing through Photoshop, I could hardly believe what was happening; it seemed like magic. You could shoot in the dark (okay, almost) and I'd always wanted to do that. But I left the D3 behind quickly enough, because I don't really love cameras. They're necessary, but it's the photo that does it for me. Then, you meet Leica M enthusiasts, and I'm not even sure they'd need to put film in the camera (or a memory card) to really enjoy themselves. For many of them, it's the machinery they love. And that's okay, too. IMHO.

lsumners said...

I would go decades shooting with the same camera and rarely thought about changing cameras. Now it seems I change at least once a year (nothing like you) and even when I do not change I am thinking about it. Is this progress? Of course I did change formats a couple of tomes and tried different films and developers so maybe we just moved our GAS from one form to another.

Robert Roaldi said...

Modern tech may not be tactile enough. What's going on with those bits is no less technically interesting than what was going in that development tank, but you handled the tanks and liquids with your own hands and muscles. You felt more like a participant. Maybe that is what's missing now. Or maybe I'm overthinking it. Or maybe we're getting old and for some reason the things we did when we were young seemed more fun, but I'm not sure that isn't itself an illusion. Lots of stuff I did when I was younger was dumb nonsense.

Maybe it's because there was some effort required between tripping the shutter and holding a print and so that made the print more valuable, to you anyway. Maybe there's something important going on during that period of waiting. I've been trying not to look at my photos after going out taking pics because I find if I wait a week or so, I'm better (more ruthless) at culling and so enjoy more what's left over.

One of the things I do is take photos at grass roots bicycle races and put a lot of effort into planning and driving to the venues, some of which are not close by. And I do this without a back-up body, so I'm not sure someone that dumb should be voicing opinions about anything.

Joe said...


Perhaps, both schools of thought are true, but in greater or lesser extent for different people and for different circumstances, moods, and subjects.

That suggests that we can benefit from being broadly fluent with both traditional and digital photography, using compact, full-frame/MF, and large format film cameras as then most appropriate to our subject and mood. Are we doing quick street photography or making another Pepper #30 ?

Dick Barbour said...

A very thought-provoking and interesting essay. I like your analogy of photography with music, which happens to be the other pastime that I enjoy. Thanks for posting this kind of material.
Dick

karmagroovy said...

I also really like your analogy of photography with music. I would like to offer a differing version where the taking of the photo is akin to writing the musical notes to the song and the printing of the photo akin to playing and recording the song. Some composers never record the song for themselves; they let a singer do that. That's why singer/songwriters are so special.

I know of a couple of very capable photographers who never print, they only post to social media which IMO takes much less talent than creating a really nice print suitable for framing and gallery viewing.

As far as getting old is concerned, being a "dynosaur" means that you couldn't adapt to the changing environment. Just wait a few decades and photographers will whistfully remember a time where we processed our images on a computer monitor rather than in our smart goggles!

James Moule said...

OMG! Photo Flo! That brings it all back. In the 1950s, I loaded bulk film into cartridge for a screw mount Leica, exposed it, and then unloaded into s film tank and developed it. From that. I made contact prints.

Oldwino said...

I do think photos, that all-important end-game of photography, had more meaning when they were harder to make. The time invested and frustration of film photography meant that any “good” photo was special, because they just weren’t that common. Having 3 or 4 “good” shots per roll was something to be proud of. We could share them by giving away copies to our family and friends.

Today, almost everyone can make “good” photos (I am not talking about “great” photos; that’s something else entirely). But the democratization of photography, where the gear is so good that everyone is “capable”, also means the value of the photo goes down. And we see this in the latest ways of sharing -Instagram, etc - where the image is gone and forgotten in an “instant”. My wife takes shots with her phone and then never even looks at them.
That part makes me a little sad, as something pleasant, and communal, has been lost.

Jeff said...

It's great to be able to easily document my life and quickly and almost effortlessly record anything than interests me with an iPhone.
But that sense of accomplishment and of knowing something special that came from being being able to use a 35mm or 120 camera, develop the film, make contact sheets and prints, play around with cold light enlargers, VC paper, pyro, etc. etc. is totally gone.
Everyplace I travel people are snapping away with cell phones and I'm sure they are making in focus, perfect exposures. I start to wonder why I'm one of the few people still lugging a camera around.
Yes, photography is so easy now that it's no longer much fun. There has to be a little challenge to something for it to hold your attention and generate some flow. The only challenge left is learning the terrible camera menus. Definitely not fun.

Anonymous said...

I look at it his way - if I want to get into the mechanics of photography I simply grab one of my vintage lenses, leave the PASM on M and go play. Switch off the focus peaking to make it even more interesting. When the occasion calls, attach your fancy AF lens, switch it back to AF or, - yikes, something other than M, and get the shot. I suppose I'm a little jaded anymore w/regard to being melancholy. I shoot a good deal of run-n-gun video these days, and it's typically quite nice to focus on the content rather than what the gear is doing. We're fortunate to have options.
- Ron.

Anonymous said...

Back in the day, I shoot High School Sports with a Pentax H1a and a slow cheap zoom. Nailed focus, nailed exposure with a chart - not a meter. Processed and printed my film with help from a Kodak guide. My stuff was regularly published in the local papers. Truth is, it wasn't that hard. I couldn't do some of the stuff I can do today with the low light capability, dynamic range, and fast drives. But, most was sharp and well exposed.I can't say the camera got in my way.
Now, I have cameras with hundreds of combinations of settings. Possibility? Yes, but with more ways to get things wrong. Still, working on which tracking settings work for action with a new Fuji camera. Never, ever, managed to get so many out of focus shots with my old film and DSLR cameras. And,there is software which is a never ending learning process. Fun, but I don't ever feel like I have full control of the process.Sort of miss that.

bishopsmead said...

Thanks for this insightful and beautifully crafted piece. Your thoughts will resonate with so many of us that have lived through the immense "disruptive" developments brought about through adaptations of the silicon chip. I can look at art from both sides now, and know that I really don't know my art that well. G

JereK said...

Wonderful, deep post.
I have in some ways been fumbling in the dark lately, too much family health stuff going on and I had a chance to spend moments in Stockholm with a friend anf making new friends as well as photographing people on the streets. The connections and the laughter and the flow made me remember what is so important. The human connection. You worded it much more eloquently. Time itself is so precious.

Don Karner said...

Wow. Simply wow. Please keep blogging. You actually have something to say.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks Don, and my other friends here.

Josh said...

A beautiful post. I’ve had similar thoughts. A couple of years ago, I switched from digital back to film, because I wanted to invest more time and care in the process and make my photographs feel more valuable to me. I really enjoyed developing my own film, etc., and getting back into that tactile, patient process.

But over time I arrived at a different view. I realized that the process was only one source of value for me; my photographs actually mattered to me mostly because they’re of subjects I care about (my wife, my kids, my town, etc.). In the end I’ve concluded that process is less important to me than subject. I’ve moved back to digital. I shoot mainly Leica M cameras, and they are just analog enough for me to feel that the process is still absorbing even on digital.

I think you’re absolutely right about the passage of time and the value of photography. Photograph what you love while you can!

Anonymous said...

Once upon a time, the act of photography was an adventure, full of uncertainty. The pilgrim navigating Scylla and the Other Guy, persevering to the end, possibly even taking a good photograph along the way.

Nowadays we operate appliances, and spend more time yakking about minutiae than ever.

To each his own, no judgement.

But also note, some people use bait to fish, because it's easier to harvest that way. And some people use the dry fly, because it's harder to harvest that way.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

A post from Roger Jones that got misplaced but needs to be here:

"Sounds good to me, but before you go I wanted to comment on a post you posted a few post back. The one about gear, darkroom, people, and images. I believe, I know now, it's not the gear it's was the time, the people. Now that I'm retired I'm going back on the road one more time and thought I needed 2 items on my bucket list to make it happen.
1. 1970's to 1980's Mercedes Benz 300TD wagon.
2. Germany camera gear
I test drove 2 or 3 300TD wagons and I took my germany cameras with me,......it was fun, but there was no magic. The people weren't there the times have changed, and the people are gone. It's just me now.
The youngest kid is in college and the oldest is managing a healthcare company, and working 3 days a week at a hospital, so it's just me.
I sat down and thought about it after reading your post, and realized it wasn't the equipment it was the people. Now the equipment is the same, but the magic isn't there, or it's different.
I've decided to re-install the darkroom, and see if it still hold the magic it did years ago. I've give up on the Benz as well, and decided to finish restoring my 1976 Ford F150 that I bought new in 1976, and take it on the road trip. It runs fine just needs paint, and fresh gas. As for film cameras my Nikon Nikkormat EL2 or my FE, and for digital it's a Nikon DF, 2 cameras 4 lenses is plenty. I'll take my Sigma gear SA9 film and SDQ-H or FP. For lenses Sigma 14mm f2.8 20-40 70-210 50 f2.8 with the MC-21 adapter. For my Nikon 14mm 50mm D 1.8 and a zoom.
Good luck with the heat, and enjoy your time away. Enjoy while you can.
It's cooling down here in Portland, the wind is blowing, and you can smell winter in the air. The light is changing day by day which makes it worse for me, this was the time of year we'd all get together, and have dinner, and talk over the summer, and what we did. Share our work, drink wine, and made fun of each other, and laugh till we cried. We'd be getting ready for the rain, and snow that was about to come. It was the people that helped make the magic. They were shining times........to be sure. Gear is gear, it all looks the same, you make the different, as we know..... Your the magic.

Have fun Enjoy
Roger"

ajcarr said...

We have got to the point where the technology, rather than freeing the photographer to create art, is instead imposing a barrier between the photographer and their art. I suspect that the old "sunny 16" rule resulted in a reasonably correct exposure more than 90% of the time (more of an issue if you were shooting transparencies rather than negatives). My first 35 mm SLR was a purely-mechanical, manual-everything, Soviet Zenit-E (it came with a version of the 2/58 Zeiss Biotar, the Soviets having ransacked the Zeiss plants in Germany, taking the lens designs, manufacturing equipment, optical glass blanks, and even the technicians, back to the Motherland) with an uncoupled selenium-cell exposure meter mounted on the front of the pentaprism housing (not much better than "sunny 16"); the shutter had five speeds (1/30 s to 1/500 s) plus B; the focusing screen was plain ground glass with no focusing aids; and the lenses had no auto-diaphragm: preset the taking aperture, turn a ring on the lens to open the diaphragm for focusing and composition, turn in the opposite direction to stop down and see the depth of field effect, then press the shutter release. All of this was second nature and didn't interfere with the creative process: a camera was simply a light-tight box on to which a lens could be mounted, the lens having a diaphragm regulating the intensity of the light reaching the film (and depth of field as a side effect), and the box containing a shutter regulating the duration for which the film was exposed to that light. It just worked, and I suspect that if I needed to demolish a wall for a better view, I could just swing the Zenit at it (the wall would probably lose). When I migrated to an Olympus OM-1n, there was simple centre-weighted TTL metering, a choice of focusing screens, a wider range of shutter speeds (1 s to 1/1000 s plus B), and lenses with automatic (rather than preset) diaphragms; the lenses were sharper and the camera was *much* lighter, but otherwise it was still basically a light-tight box with a shutter, on to which you could mount a lens.

Today, my carry-everywhere Lumix TZ/ZS-200, with its 1" sensor, has a plethora of settings: a vast array of possible autofocus points and a similarly-complex metering system; the shutter speed, the aperture, and the ISO can be set. The net result of this cornucopia of adjustment parameters is that I just leave the damned thing set on "P". My Sony RX10iii travel camera and Pentax K-5 are no better. And does autofocus make your photos sharper? Yes, if it actually latches on to the feature that you want to be in focus (or you can spend some time trying to remember how to manually override it). But here's an exercise: take down that copy of Bill Brandt's "Shadow of Light" from your bookshelf (you do have a copy, don't you?) and look at the pictures. How many are what we would consider today to be "critically sharp"? Surprisingly few. Are they any less works of art because of that? No. Brandt principally worked with Rolleiflex TLRs, with a dim, reversed, ground glass viewfinder (with no depth-of-field preview), and for the rest of his work, a very-wide-angle police surveillance camera that he picked up secondhand in a market. Ansel Adams held Brandt in the highest esteem, although their styles were poles apart, and I accept that Brandt is a "Marmite" photographer (occupants of the North-East Atlantic Celtic Archipelago will understand what this means; others will have to look it up :-) ); I just happen to like Marmite. Oh, and if you want to buy a copy of that book, just look for one on bookfinder.com; they aren't terribly expensive, alas.

ajcarr said...

And if anyone who has read my preceding comment doesn't know who Bill Brandt was (he gets precious little mention today compared to his peers like Ansel Adams and Henri Cartier Bresson), here's the page for him at the Victoria & Albert (V&A) Museum in London:

https://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/bill-brandt/