11.29.2023

Every once in a while I post a "vintage" print just because I like it. Mostly there is no story to accompany it. Unless I make one up.


Digital copy from original print. Started life as a piece of medium format film. Blossomed into a print in a traditional "wet" darkroom. A lighting test with a favorite assistant. In preparation for an editorial portrait. 


I'm in the slow process of restoring order to the little studio/office that sits just to the front of my house. We had a lot of stuff painted last month. The studio, through the largesse of the household, got a double dose of white paint on white paint. 

I wasn't in a hurry to put things right after the painters left and the paint fumes subsided so I left books and hard drives in boxes thinking I'd get right on it as soon as I figured out how to do so without depreciating the clean look of the bare, white walls. They look so....clean.

A little bit ago the CEO of a large ad group called and asked if I could "refresh" his portrait. He'd lost some weight, got into better shape, and felt that his older portrait was no longer working for him. We booked a day next week. Tuesday, I think. 

But it dawned on me as I walked into the office this morning that I had a bunch of work to do before the studio would be presentable. Workable. Comfortable for making portraits. So I guess I've started down the path of organizing and at the same time decluttering. But I'd much rather be out for a nice walk with a compliant camera. 

I met this particular CEO about 2.5 decades ago when he was an assistant marketing person at a big tech company. We've been working with each other ever since. Maybe this is what experts are talking about when they mention "compounding." Getting better at something; quicker and more profitable. At any rate I'm very much looking forward to our session. We'll catch up. And I know he's got some interesting stories to share. If I'm lucky I might get an invitation to this year's "staff" holiday party. We had a blast there last year. I promise that this time I'll be on my best behavior. 

The studio space is not very big. The working area measures about 24 by 24 feet. At the peak the ceiling is 14 feet high. Just high enough to float a generous big soft box over most peoples' heads when they are standing. But it's been quite workable over the last 26 years and since I own it I always enjoy the thought that I've been doing business rent free. And that's a big deal in Austin since the real estate market is pretty much insane and incomprehensible. 

Making one off portraits like this does not count against the idea of retirement. Mostly because I see the engagement as partly social. Touching base. Catching up. Comparing notes. Having fun. Gossiping about the industry. But since his companies are doing well financially I will send him a bill. 

Now that I have a client motivating me to get organized I'm looking forward to making more personal portraits in the space. Just for the fun of it. It feels like a good basket of reasons to get the studio back up to snuff. 

Note: Doing test shoots took all the anxiety out of client shoots. You had already dealt with the unexpected; the surprising. And so many of my favorite portraits came from those "practice" sessions. 

Satisfying when fun and business intersect.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Kirk Tuck Klassic. Thanks.

R.A.

Anonymous said...

Lovely.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thank you both. KT

Eric Rose said...

I'd fly down for a Kirk portrait, but as you know I am neither pretty, handsome, famous or rich. I could however be a really great test dummy.

Eric

Michael said...

You are an amazing portrait photographer! I cannot wait to see more.