12.02.2023

Do you want a very well corrected, very fast, short telephoto lens for your medium format camera? Well then, don't get a TTArtisan 90mm f1.25. But......


I've been mucking around with full frame cameras for months now and, except for work, have been ignoring the GFX 50Sii that I bought mid-Summer. The camera is great. The sensor is great. The problem is with me. I just can't seem to pull the trigger and buy the lens I really should use with this system. That would be the 110mm f2.0. Rave reviews everywhere and at a full frame equivalent of 88mm it would seem to be the perfect choice for me. But for some unknown reason I'll continue to waste time and money looking for a "miraculous" low cost alternative while trying to convince myself that lens "X" or lens "Y" is just as good as the 110mm, if only I just put more elbow grease (and post processing) into the mix. 

The sad reality is that the Fuji GF 50mm lens and the 35-70mm kit lens are both really good performers; just not at the right focal lengths for me. So far I've mostly wasted money and time buying first the TTArtisan 90mm f1.25 lens and then the Mitakon 135mm f2.5. Both are available in both Hasselblad and Fuji medium format mounts. That would strongly imply that these lenses would be suitable for those camera systems. That they would cover the full frame of the MF sensor well. But....nope.

So, if perfect lens geometry is important be sure to pass on the 90mm. And, if zero vignetting is a must then consider both of these lenses as abject failures. Profound failures. I know this for sure now because I spent hours walking around yesterday photographing with the GFX 50Sii + 90mm, and another few hours staring at the resulting files in Lightroom and wondering just how much tolerance I really have for mostly crappy lenses versus just spending the money to buy the right stuff the first time. 

So, as pertains to the 90mm f1.25, what are my gripes? The universal black marks against this lens are threefold. First, it weighs a ton. Well, more like three pounds but that might as well be a ton if you are working a full day with this beast, handheld. Second, the vignetting is just awful. Amazingly bad. Stunningly bad. When I tried building a profile for this lens I found that +75 in the vignetting controls in Lightroom was just almost good enough. Really, +90 to +100 would be better. And here's the crappy deal with vignetting in a simply designed lens like this --- the amount of vignetting is variable and depends on the aperture setting and the distance setting. I guess that's true for a lot of lenses but this one goes from really dark but soft corners near wide open aperture settings to really dark but harder edged corner vignetting as you stop down. The final flaw is the easiest one to fix; mostly. It's the presence of a bunch of barrel distortion. You can correct most of it with a +7 or +8 increase in the distortion controls in post but you should also be aware that there are still mostly unfixable touches of "mustache" distortion that are not tamed by the magic of software corrections in most programs. 

One hopes that someone (Adobe or TTArtisan) will make a lens profile for this pudgy beast that actually fixes some of this stuff. But I think the market for the lens is so small that this will never happen. 

My next question, if I were a potential buyer, would be: "Are there any "pros" to this lens? Any conceivable reasons to buy and use one? 

Well, yes. 

Even wide open, at the center of the frame, the lens is very sharp. Stop it down to f5.6 and it's sharp everywhere. (But why would you carry around a three+ pound, ultra-fast lens if you need to shoot it at f5.6 to make it work? If you are shooting objects or scenes near infinity the lens works fine even at f2.0 and f2.8; except for the far corners. You'll still have to fix vignetting and distortion but in all fairness most lenses for current mirrorless cameras (Leica Q2 and Q3 included) lean heavily on in-camera software to make a lot of corrections to their lenses. A lot!!! The only difference, really, is that this particular 90mm is left to its own devices in use rather than being saved by intricate software fixes. If you had a "go-to" profile for this 90mm in your post processing program it might be a bit more popular. And perhaps more people would be walking around with bulging biceps from hand holding it all day long...

I keep the lens because I think it can be redeemed as a portrait lens. I've been using it to make controlled portraits with for a while and I actually have come to like it in these applications. I crop the images in camera to either the square or the 5:4 or 7:6 aspect ratios and the vignetting mostly goes away, along with a percentage of the frame. If you are a 3:2 fan you'll mostly remove the vignetted corners in that crop as well. The distortion correction of +7 works fine for all portrait work. A little, tiny bit of residual mustache distortion doesn't destroy portraits. 

It was a lovely afternoon here in Austin, Texas yesterday. Neither too warm nor too cool. Partially sunny but with fun clouds passing by. I took the lens out to see if I'd been blaming my own poor technique on the lens or if the lens was really as bad as I remembered. I shot a lot of frames. I walked a lot of steps. I took my time focusing and generally used the magnification feature to make sure things were really sharp. 

Here are some examples from the time spent with the lens. Please note that most of the frames have been mostly (but not completely) corrected for vignetting. The lens is fairly color neutral and I do like the center portion of most images shot with it. Just don't buy one for use as a precision architectural lens; especially if you intend to use it wide open. And copy work? Forget it. There are better options. Really. 

The one thing this lens is really good at is doing portraits with a wide open aperture and letting the background just vanish. That's its special feature. And that's probably why most people who buy one and keep one do so. It's a great look --- when it all works.



I'm in love with the Texas skies. When they behave as I'd like them to. 












I'm including this image because it's a great example of the center sharpness even when using the lens with the aperture at its maximum of f1.25. I focused on the center type and by the time I get to any corner it's just so out of focus. This was also shot at near the closest focusing distance. 





Fairly sharp at f4.0. Very usable.

this was shot long after the sun set and is a good example of a situation in which 
f1.25 can come in handy. The exposure was ISO 800, f1.25, SS= 1/13th. That's 
a pretty dark use case....

this was shot to show the bokeh of the lens at wide apertures. 
Notice the "cat's eye" bokeh in the corners. 

The sky changes so quickly just before the sun is gone over the horizon...


Holiday lighting at the Seaholm Power Plant. 

Same as every other year.

 

19 comments:

adam said...

maybe there's some old medium format lens that'd be good on it, I got a battery with a built in charger, I'd been vexing about having to charge in camera or pay $75 for a charger

JC said...

Your blog is good enough that I'm willing to put up with some level of bitching and moaning about equipment, but the whole Christmas season would be more pleasant for all of us if you'd just go ahead and buy the damn 110. I'd actually be looking forward to your reviews and experiments. You got the money, and think about amortizing it over ten years. $200 a year? That's nothing. Buy it.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

But then what would I have to complain about???

Anonymous said...

"You just don't get it, do you Scott?" From Austin Powers. The movie.

"We'll put that Austin photographer in an easily escapable situation and then just assume that everything goes according to plan."

Rhombus Korndato

Biro said...

I’d love to be able to justify a medium-format Fuji. What I’d REALLY like is the GFX 100S for the price of a GFX 50S II. In the meantime, I am perfectly content to live vicariously through your adventures, Kirk.

Paul Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Paul Kelly said...

Is the Adobe Lens Profile Creator still an option? I recall photographing the chequerboard calibration charts, and letting the program interpret them into a profile. It seemed to work quite well for some odd lenses I was using a while ago.

Joe said...


A reluctantly but objectively negative description is really useful. Thank you.

It’s evident from your many positive gear discussions that you are not an inherently negative person, so reading your negative discussion thus has more credibility. That’s more than can be said about so many ‘Net commenters and writers, who seem to confuse frequent negativity, overt or subtle, with actually producing useful information. Rather than illustrating the “superiority” of such persons, it suggests the opposite.

It may be worth recalling that Einstein responded to criticisms that he published journal articles describing unsuccessful approaches to unified field theory by stating that he did not want others to waste time and career opportunities working on dead ends. It all adds up to our pool of general knowledge when done reasonably and objectively rather than snarky.

Eric Rose said...

A stunning set of images! Looks like you were having fun and the juices were flowing.

Eric

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks Eric, I just love being out in the world with a camera in my hands. Any camera. And I thought I loved writing about it too. Oh wait. I still do!!!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Paul, Thanks for reminding me about Adobe's lens profiler! Research here we come.

Gato said...

After reading the post I'd like to see some portraits with it.

Edahobbyista said...

Going back to Adam’s comment, aside from the f1.8 business, guess I would have tried a 110 f2.8 or 120 f4 or 150 f2.8 Mamiya 645 lens, or a Pentax 645 120, or a Contax 645 120 Apo-Makro-Planar. And of those a later version of the Mam 120 or the 150…both near apochromatic and less than 500. The Contax less than 1k. But then I was shooting with a Tamron Adaptamatic 105 the other day, because it was in sublime condition and has a definite classic design, despite the Contax C/Y 100 f3.5 being better in almost every way. Even the Kiron 105 f2.8. Trying stuff is a large part of the enjoyment for a piddler.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Thanks.

Bob

Rich said...

these are stunning Kirk

David said...

Kirk,
The 110mm f2 is still on sale with $550 off. Just buy one from B&H, still in stock or get a used one from them for under $2000.

I hear on dpreview that the newest firmware fixes the autofocus problems.

You should try it out, if you don't like it just return it.

With the current cost savings, you can buy an extra Leica battery. 😀

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks David, I'll rush right out and buy two. That way I'll have saved enough to buy two Leica batteries. And a coffee.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

JC, Sorry to have sullied the Christmas season. I'll do better next time...

Chuck M. said...

I am a non-commenter-reader, but your post on lens advice was great fun. Sorry, my meager estate goes to the kids, so no lens gifts are forthcoming. And yes, I am guilty of having gotten a couple of pieces of free and very useful advice from you. (Well, maybe more than a couple, since I have tuned in every day over a number of years, I forget how many.) Not that it matters, but I shoot with an old dslr Pentax of the K-lineage, so your lens commentary has not been that relevant, though great fun, as noted. I like wide, never with the lenses like the 110. Thanks for the writing. ---c