4.06.2024

Brain currently addled by the after-effects of the Covid Vaccine Booster. And so, I give you.....random stuff. All from a Fuji GFX 50Sii and the Fuji GFX 50mm f3.5. Lots of people in downtown. The big Capitol 10K race is tomorrow and, of course, the riveting moments of the total eclipse on Monday.

 

I'm thinking this used to be an internet hub. I wouldn't depend on it now...

I could blame my choice of locations and subject matter on the effects of my Friday morning booster. I think it's my sixth round of anti-Covid vaccination. I timed my vaccine so that my immunity from any random infection would at its strongest during the week of the 15th through the 19th of this month. Why? Because I'll be spending three days in hotel ballrooms, breakout rooms and crowded dining rooms photographing for a bank conference. Why take chances?

I usually walk on the major streets that crisscross downtown but last week a commenter opined that my camera would only last minutes if I took it out in a major city on the west coast. Austin's crime numbers are not as bad but I decided today that instead of taking the safest routes through downtown I would alternate the back alleys with the main streets. Just to see if urban Austin would transpire to scare the crap out of me or even relieve me of my medium format camera. Strangely, the alleys were mostly well groomed. And the few unhoused people I came across seemed more concerned about my potential impact on their safety than vice versa. 

The nice thing about actually walking the alleys is seeing all the wild textures of rapidly aging doors, hundred+ year old brick walls and ersatz electrical work draped from short poles up across the crossing between the backs of businesses and the next block over. 

The thing about the Fuji GFX is how great it is for shooting in a square format. You just don't lose much information. Just a trim off the sides. And the black and white "formula" I have set up for C1 is perfect. Makes images that are so much like the old prints I used to make when using Tri-X.





Antone's. The world famous live music venue. It's been in five or six different locations since I first moved to Austin. I remember seeing Clifton Chenier play some wild Zydeco there back in 
1975 or 1976. That was before most people were able to get over their fears of going into a 
nearly empty downtown after dark...



I'm wondering if they flew in new mannequins for the Summer fashion season...



Michael Johnston asked on his blog how often people shoot with their lenses set to
wide open. I did right here. They actually work well. I wonder which keys on a piano
people shy away from using...



My happy, quiet back porch. Great place to have friends over for happy hours
and even better for a quiet morning breakfast and the (online) newspapers.
Thank goodness for laptops.

All the kitchen essentials. An ice cream scoop and my coffee funnel for pour overs.

Actually pretty much over the side effects from the vaccine. According to my doctor the stronger the side effects the better the immune response and the longer the efficacy. Part of every photographer's 21st Century "Kit"



8 comments:

John L Gordon said...

Hi Kirk, Love the black & white and especially the last photo as you include the famous Zeroll ice cream scoop. I inherited mine from my grandfather who had a grocery store in my small home town in Georgia. On a visit back to the USA from Australia in 2010 we were at MOMA in New York and I was delighted to find that the Zeroll scoop is in their collection. I bought the modern version in their gift shop. I didn't see a way to send a photo of the old one beside the new one, but I would be happy to show you. Cheers, John

TMJ said...

I think the first photo is more likely to be a CATV distribution box, or rather, was.

James Weekes said...

Do this more often.

Eric Rose said...

Great shots! Loving your B&W formula. I suppose which keys are avoided depends on the state.

Paul Kelly said...

I'm always impressed with the care you take of the verticals - for example in the image of the building forecourt with trees.

Anonymous said...

C1 ???

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Anonymous, Sorry. I should have given more detail. It's custom function one on the mode dial of the Fuji GFX50Sii. You can save all the settings you want for specific parameters in six different Custom Setting slots. Then, when you want to shoot black and white, for example, instead of completely revisiting the menu you only have to turn the mode dial to C1 to get the Kirk Tuck presets for a specific looking black and white. I haven't really used it much on previous cameras since I shoot much of the commercial work in RAW but for my ever changing personal work I have four different Custom sets available. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love the B&W square work. It really tickles something in my brain.