3.30.2024

Odd Combinations. Doing some portraits with an "Odd Couple." The huge but amazing Zeiss Milvus 50mm f1.4 and the tiny, featherweight, cropped frame Leica CL.


 Toss in a lens adapter for extra size and weight. What you end up with is a nice portrait length (75mm) equivalent on a small body with an image that's mostly sharp at the maximum aperture. That, and stares from people who think the combo looks a little insane. This lens adds back all the heft you lose going with the APS-C body.

Try it. It's fun.

3 comments:

Oldwino said...

That combo reminds me of the time I used a little Panasonic GM5 with the Panaleica Nocticron 42.5 f1.2 on it. More of a lens with a camera on it...Fun to use, though.

Norm said...

Love my CL. In use, it evokes memories of the first Leica I ever owned, when I was about 15-a then ancient IIIc. Simple, straightforward device with no superfluous features. Once I programmed the CL’s two programmable buttons with one function each (top deck button for meter pattern, function button for iso), nothing to get in the way of shooting pictures. With manual lenses, it’s like using a plain ground glass in reflex cameras I use to use.

Love the posts today, with the variation in the feel of those portraits.

Anonymous said...

I recently combined my CL with the ttartisans 50mm f0.95 which you tried on the SL, it balances perfectly in the CL, is sharp everywhere stopped down and at f1.1 is dead sharp in the centre with beautiful background blur. I bought both after your recommendation and had only used it on my SL until now, I think I prefer it on the CL.
All the best, Mark