6.24.2022

The Strange Social Paralysis of a Heat Wave. And a few more samples from the Leica SL camera shot in monochrome.


We're 14 days into a heat wave. There's a high pressure system parked over lots of Texas and here in Austin we've been over 100° (f) for the last two weeks straight. Downtown is always worse. There's so much dark pavement acting as a giant heat sink and so few trees or green spaces to break up the still heat. 

When we factor in the humidity it feels so much worse. I can look out the window of my studio and watch the grass go from green to yellow to brown almost in real time. I'd water the lawn more but I'm always trying to balance out the ethics of wasting water in an ongoing drought. It's an ill-fated attempt at balance when you realize that it's the beginning of Summer and unless the universe makes some big meteorological changes nothing is really going to save that expanse of natural carpeting. I asked B. today if crushed granite counted as a native species. The answer was a partial yes. It counts if the granite comes from around Llano, Texas. 

I used to be impervious to the heat. In fact, B. reminded me the other day that there was a time when I thought nothing of going out on a day like today, when the "mercury" is touching 104°, and do a five mile run around the lake. I'm no longer convinced, as I might have been back then, that I am bullet proof any more and that in itself is a little depressing. 

Earlier today I was out cleaning some mold and mildew off a seventy five foot rock wall that runs across the front of our property (we're not just "wood fence" people...) with a bucket of distilled vinegar, water and a stiff brush. Every once in a while I would turn on the hose and spray it up over my head and stand in the cascade of tiny droplets as they came down on my head and my long sleeve shirt. But after an hour of hard labor I was feeling quite spent and tossed in the brush. Headed into the air conditioning. Drank more water. 

I can only imagine how dangerous this kind of weather can be for people who have to work outside all day. I'm thinking you really have to build up a resistance to the daily toasting to survive. But I'm equally sure that relentless heat ages one. 

But what does this have to do with photography? I can't really make any cogent points about client projects because all the clients are, by their own admission, hibernating until the weather breaks. If it does. 
The typical ad client spends the vast majority of their life sitting in an air conditioned office communing with their computer and sitting through endless meetings. Acclimation isn't on their resumé. I can speak to how it affects me.

I'm sitting in my office with the A/C humming along and I'm surrounded by cameras and lenses I'd love to be using right now. I have a battery charging for the Sigma fp in the hopes that we'll have enough cool hours left after tomorrow's swim practice to get a walk in and make some photo art. But the weather has done a good job of keeping most people off the streets and camping out in restaurants and malls. It has driven the younger people out to the lakes to float on paddle boards and various rafts drinking canned beer and testing the efficacy of their base layer tans. No one in their right mind is taking a stroll down Second St. dressed in fun fashion and waiting to be discovered by a crazy photographer. 

I called a friend to see if he'd like to meet for coffee but he was adamant that he's not leaving his apartment until we're back in the 90's. Not the decade but the temperature range. I called another photographer friend but he escaped to Vancouver in the hopes that the weather would cooperate. I'd love to be in Iceland right now but then so would about a million half drunk UK party people on their way to being fully drunk. It's mostly why we don't do much travel in the Summer months. Everyone else is traveling and everything is crowded. Who wants to wait in line to see a melting glacier?

It's odd to feel isolated and in the depths of heat dystopia, especially after having been busy in all of last week and for a long day this week. But there it is. 

I wanted to write a long article today explaining why I feel that 24 megapixel cameras, and even cameras with lower pixel counts, are more suitable for the kind of photograph we mostly do these days but I'm too tired from the heat to type anything cogent. 

I'll pick up the Sigma fp and the 45mm Sigma lens when I head back into the house. The idea is that I'll see something delightful or interesting and snap a shot or two. But in reality the camera will sit on the edge of the dining room table unused until I grab it tomorrow morning and take it with me to swim practice. At least I know there will be people there.... 

Hope you have a better plan for the Summer than I do. And I hope you are executing it well. Cheers. 



 So, the supreme court took a bite out of happiness and constitutional democracy in the USA this week. 

Had me looking at property in Switzerland. Too bad I can't afford it....

10 comments:

Jon Maxim said...

Can't wait for your 24MP views.

John Krumm said...

I would not want that heat. We do get humidity, but not as consistently. Here in Duluth, MN everyone was complaining a few days ago when it hit around 95, which is very high for us. This evening we are back down to 55.

Love the photos.

JimR 'Longviewer' said...

When I was an office boy (retired 10 years ago) I had to go outside at lunchtime and for occasional breaks. I'm not that big-time into heat; my issue is frostbite, which I caught in 1974 (ski lessons @ 33° and moderate rain will do that). With the A/C in my building built to chill, my hands would become useless for keyboarding or writing in four hours.

That was in NW Oregon, where 95° with 55° dewpoint is "hot". Two weeks of 3-digit temperatures alone is beyond my contemplation, and what you call humidity down there is inconceivable here.

Hang in there.

Eric Rose said...

Come to Canada.

Eric

Anonymous said...

Also interested in the 24mp article. I’d also be interested in your thoughts comparing the Panasonic systems, m43 compared to full frame.

Richard said...

In my experience—not in Texas—the more one waters grass the more it needs it. It’s remarkably resilient. I guess you already have a suitable variety but maybe there are better ones now or you could change to a different plant if you are not running about on it, some sort of succulent like a Sedum that seem to exist on air.

karmagroovy said...

I expect that due to climate change, your extended heat waves will get worse not better. Just look South a thousand miles to get a clue of what your weather will be like in the future. In some instances, the future is now. If you would have told me 10 years ago that Great Britain would become an award winning fine wine producer, I would have spit merlo in your face while laughing uncontrollably!

Totally agree with Eric. It's easy to get away from tourist crowds in Canada as long as you stay away from the guide book hotspots. Plus, it's beautiful pretty much anywhere you wander off to.

Anonymous said...

That's a mighty tall front wall!

(There are lots of more affordable, and more progressive, countries than Switzerland btw - in fact, the Swiss people I know have decamped to Germany, France and the UK in recent years, for a variety of reasons)

adam said...

i noticed some affordable property in germany, a lot in that valley that flooded, but also an old train stations for 16k euro

Kenneth Voigt said...

Got it!(we're not just "wood fence" people...)