2.01.2011

Sometimes Lunch is just lunch....

Belinda at Hang Town.  Our favorite, indoor, hamburger joint.  

I spent the morning scheduling future work and sending out "thank you" cards.  By one o'clock, when I looked up from my desk, I was starving for lunch.  And with the cold, north winds howling outside and the temperature dropping quickly I wanted something hot and comforting.  Hamburger and fries.  But I hate eating lunch alone.  I grabbed my car keys and my EP2 and took the twelve steps from my studio into the front door of our house, in search of Belinda; kind spouse, vicious CFO and all around graphic designer.  She was on the phone walking a client thru a website design but when I whispered, "Lunch?" She was off the phone and out the door in a shot.

I guess that's one of the benefits of working for yourself and having a spouse who is also self-employed, I'm almost never at a loss for a good lunch date. We headed to Hangtown to get a couple of really good burgers and some (almost) forbidden French fries.  And we talked about our careers.  It's good to have spent the last 25 years doing the things that most people dream of doing once they retire.  It's still scary, even after 25 years, to take the leap of faith that work will continue to come in.  That the marketing will continue to work.  That photography (and design) will continue to be viable ways to earn a living.  But once you get over the fear and embrace the freedom and the sheer adrenaline rush of working without any sort of safety net the ride becomes a lot of fun.  

And we've learned that part of the reward of doing what we do is being able to do what we do.  So we ate lunch.  And talked about how nice life can be.



11 comments:

Frank Grygier said...

If you look real close you can see the one she loves in her eyes.

PhotED said...

You're making want to quit my day job! One of the main reasons I follow your post is that you represent "the road not taken". Given my track from high school to the few years after college it looked like I was going to be in photography and film making as my career and lifelong passion. Alas, other interests and the deeper need for security took me off that path. That said, reading your posts has made me more serious about approaching photography as art and not just a hobby. My painter-poet wife encouraged me to join the central Nj art group she is part of (in which photographers are under-represented), and I've had the chance to start exhibiting some work and even got into my first juried exhibition for a regional photo show. My wife and I still hope to lead the life you guys lead one day; mane once the kids are done with college!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kirk,

I've been following your blog for over a year. I was initially drawn by your Olympus reviews. Kept coming back for the quality of your writing. I'm from Ottawa, Canada.

That is a great picture of Belinda. Congratulations.

Jim B.

John Krumm said...

Nice portrait and story . Belinda looks bundled up. Still cold down there?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks everyone. There are trade offs to every choice. I figure that out every month when I pay for our health insurance or make that non-matching contribution to my SEP. Or call in sick and I'm the only taking the call and I don't have any sympathy.....

Wolfgang Lonien said...

What a beautiful portrait Kirk, and Belinda. Seems that even if you're in a "quick snapshot while eating burgers" mode, it's still art what you produce. I'm jealous ;-)

cheers,
Wolfgang

Anonymous said...

The shot of your spouse is rivetting! Absolutely beautiful!

Bold Photography said...

If you ever think you're not going to have company for lunch, give me a call! I also don't like eating alone, and my lovely wife works on the other side of town (can't easily have lunch with her).

atmtx said...

Kirk,

What a fantastic portrait of Belinda. The wonderful sparkle in her eyes and the depth of emotion comes through.

Andy

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Bernard, Watch out. I'll take you up on that next week!

Andy, Thanks.

Bold Photography said...

I will look forward to it! How about Tuesday - Madam Ma'ams?