3.14.2016

Graffiti. Panasonic fz 1000. Austin, Texas.

I know that the "Graffiti Wall" has truly become an Austin icon. We're just into the first few days of the SXSW Music Festival and the crowds making the pilgrimage from the Convention Center in downtown to the Hope Outdoor Gallery (official name) are amazing. The tourist attraction has gone from hundreds of visitors a day to thousands. All coming to see four stories of concrete covered with the visual musings of a wide spectrum of "artists."

I think that this week the Wall is a more popular tourist attraction than the state capitol building or Barton Springs Pool.

I shot this a few months back as a first run test of the Panasonic fz 1000, the slightly slanted doppelganger of the Sony RX10 and RX10ii.

It's a fun camera in its own right with a longer lens and a more cavalier build quality. But on the sensor, where it counts, it's just as nice a photographic machine. If Panasonic had only included a headphone jack I might never have leaned back into the Sony camp.....

Both great cameras and, to my mind, the direction photographers and the industry should be going...


4 comments:

GregJK said...

Good Morning

You are not talking much about the Olympus system these days. Are you not happy with it any more? I am thinking of moving over to the Olympus system because of the weight and size issues when traveling.

Thanks
GregJK

Richard Jones said...

Good morning, Kirk,

As a outdoors nature photographer primarily, I've found the Panasonic FZ1000 to be a wonderful photographic tool, being able to photograph from 25mm to 400mm out in the wilds without changing lenses.

With my Nikon 6T Achromat mounted, I have macro capability up to 1.2:1 which is more than enough for little flowers.

http://www.rsjphoto.net/cam-lens/fz1000/macro/images/commelina1240034w.jpg

It is such a marvelous time to be a photographer - the technological advances in the industry are quite something!

Regards,

Richard Jones

Eric Rose said...

It amazed me that Panasonic didn't put a microphone jack in the GX7. Great camera except for that one glaring omission. A headphone jack would have been nice too. Heck it might even have one, I quite looking at the jacks once I found it didn't have a microphone jack.

Dano said...

GregJK ask a very goog question. Do you see any difference in image quality between Olympus and the FZ 1000?