1.15.2020

I forgot why they call it "work." Now I'm starting to remember...


I took most of December off last year. It was great. But then I started to worry about whether or not I would ever work again. You know, "freelancer's syndrome."

I'm 64 and have been doing this for a long time. Ever since I turned 40 I've been hearing over and over again: photography is a young person's game.... I keep expecting work to dry up and vanish. I'd be sad but, in the big scheme of things it wouldn't be that bad. I love to work and I love to photograph but there is more to life than heeding the call of every client... That was my mindset at the beginning of January, at any rate.

This week I am back to the regular schedule. We shot a series of portraits Monday, went on location to make 13 portraits of 13 accountants for a firm yesterday, photographed a radiologist this morning and will start a two day event shoot at one of the new, downtown hotels which will take me through long days on Thursday and Friday for a national, medical devices client. On Saturday I have a in depth session photographing a rehearsal of a new Janis Joplin play at Zach. Maybe on Sunday I'll rest....but only after swim practice.

I guess being immature is the next best thing to being young. If so, then I'll take it.

Having a blast slinging cameras around. I hope your new year is off to a brisk start. Never too old to make great photographs. That's my take.

7 comments:

John Krumm said...

Love the look of this image, and the framing.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks John!

Bill Pearce said...

You're right, it's a young person's game. Only younger people are willing to work for what people are willing to pay for photography these days. Where I live, it seems like all the photographers are children.

Eric Rose said...

Love the eyes! That Joplin play looks interesting.

Eric

Peter Dove said...

I guess being immature is the next best thing to being young. If so, then I'll take it.

That’s been my mantra for long enough to get old. Ish…

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

My fellow swimmers laughed at me when I stated this morning that I was trying to become more eccentric. They laughed harder when I said I'd settle for immature. I figure it's the one niche I have a shot at...

Now dressed in "show black" and heading downtown to get to work. Cams, batts, lenses, flashes, computer.....all I need now is the right motivation. Oh yeah, I remember, I'm getting paid!

Markus said...

As John said, image and framing are wonderful!