3.01.2021

Monday morning. Just checking the roadmap ahead.


Fadya.

I keep reading about the dwindling numbers of camera sales, year by year. Compared to 2010 camera sales in 2020 were down by over 90%. It makes me stop and think about the future of the business of photography (not the hobby!). We hear over and over again that the figures are misleading since they don't include the number of iPhones and other camera-centric smart phones get sold each year. And that's something I do agree with. There are certainly no fewer people taking photographs and, compared to the film days I'd say the difference in quantity of photos per capita in most societies is now off the charts. 

It's interesting to see how photographs get used these days. One could make the argument that the use of photos hasn't changed much but that's not true at all. Yes, there are still glossy magazines being published and sold but their circulations have shrunk and the use of photographs is neither as extensive or as adventurous as it was in the past. Magazines are more an adjunct to the content that's already on websites. The printed materials serve as a feeder or teaser to the bulk of the creative content which is firmly planted on the web. 

With the march toward video everything static print loses it's primacy because, well, the magazines can't do moving pictures. They can't change content at the drop of a hat (do people still have hats?). They have sunk costs in paper, ink and physical transportation, none of which impacts web content. Even on photo centric websites there is an inexorable march toward more and more video content. Just look at Digital Photo Review; five years ago it was surprising to see any video at all on their site. Now, they have over 1200 individual videos on YouTube and the number is growing quickly.

The flip side of the move away from print and to web imaging is that there are more venues to enjoy online than ever before. Some are actually pretty good. 

While the future is always much harder to predict than the past I'm of the belief right now that we'll see a schism in the visual arts universe. All the topical content will continue to head to the web but we're going to see a resurgence in traditional, physical,  gallery and print oriented work by artists. By the people who make stuff for the long haul; not just for a few hours of "like" harvesting on the usual sites. 

This belief is fostered by the observational evidence that shows me, once again, that people are irrepressibly social and no matter how much they are told not to gather they continue to gather. There is so much pent up demand for human contact, socialization, and physically shared experiences that I think we'll see a gallery explosion that coincides with  (and is enabled by) a majority of people in each country being vaccinated against Covid-19. Especially in the demographics that value the experience of shared art.

I'm a great believer in diffusion intuition. And by that I mean that we spend our time enmeshed in a culture and even if we don't have facts and direct observations to cite we absorb the zeitgeist of the time through some communal, and shared, thought process. A commonality of the momentum of desire which we come to understand emotionally long before we can tag it rationally. 

Recently, as I walk in the city and observe the people shopping, meeting for dinner and drinks at outside venues, and even traipse through museums (while masked), I've also started to feel the overwhelming desire to make art that I can share via big prints. I'm asking people if they would feel comfortable coming into the studio again once I get the second dose of vaccine and wait the requisite number of days to manifest practical immunity. The responses are overwhelming. People want, badly, to reconnect, as long as it's face to face and not over a Zoom call. 

My thoughts these days go back to various gallery print shows I've had at different times in my career and how much more poignant and impactful the work was for the audiences. How much the event of an opening solidified my exposure and connection with potential clients and also, on the other side, with potential subjects. 

I know that I'm not alone in my thoughts about this. I hear it from many people with cameras and a passion for the art of photography all the time. 

I'm now sourcing printers who can print very large. I'm preparing to shoot more and more with my highest resolution cameras to take advantage their efficacy for larger print sizes, and I'm working diligently on the more exacting post production of the small amount of work I can do right now. It all feels like momentum in a certain direction. 

For every action (the lockdowns, the restrictions, the isolation) there is an equal and opposite reaction. Yes, we are patient enough to wait till things are safe(r) but at some point the reaction will be concentrated and powerful and we'll once again revert back to our basic need to be out in society, to be seen, to see people and to truly experience their work. Human nature rarely changes for long. 

Renae.

Work notes. It was a prodigious task but I cleaned the studio this weekend and sorted all the mess that had been piling up. I can once again set up a background and walk far enough back from it to make portraits in my style. I've been practicing with my long suffering family so that I feel comfortable working with the Leica SL2 and the Lumix S1R in a square format, in black and white, and with a selection of longer than average lenses. It was an exercise in overcoming entropy. Mostly emotional entropy connected with the restrictions of the moment. 

We've cleaned up everything from the winter storm that marched through Texas. I've stopped tracking sand indoors from the sidewalks and walkways around the house. For those who were worried, our electric bill for the month was about $65. Groceries are back in stock everywhere around our neighborhood. We've got ready access to everything from fresh salmon to fresh blueberries.

As things return to normal there's a tendency to want everything to return to normal. Counting the days till I once again meet with the Moderna vaccine. Probably the middle of next week. It's progress and we are finally starting to feel the progress more viscerally. And that can only help our practice of making portraits. 

No longer driven by the $$$, now driven by the desire to create.

Currently reading two books: How to Train a Wild Elephant and The Intelligent Investor.

Both, in their own way, are very beneficial. 


 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention this when you spoke of getting a Covid vaccination previously, but so far as I know (I received basic HIPAA training as an employee of a healthcare organization), there's no rule against your documenting and sharing your own immunization: What are you going to do, sue yourself? BTW, good luck in getting #2!

Jeff in Colorado

Coasting said...

Personally i think the camera sales is missleading when put into context.The fact is cameras for a long time now have been of such a high standard that there simply is no reason to be buying shiny new toys all the time taking into consideration that every new release is only an incremental improvement at best and the cameras are made to last at least 150000 releases in most cases why would sales continue to rise.Print will make a comeback imo as we reach level of overwelming fatigue at the staggering amount of images in front of us every day peeps will start to appreciate the printed image and its tangibility

MikeR said...

Just a few seat-of-pants thoughts on the "camera industry:"

= at the beginning of the digital camera era, 3 MPx was considered to be the pixel density which equaled film.

= digital cameras are electronics, and the consistent trend has always been that as people bought electronic things, the price went down.

= in 2001 I bought my first digicam, a Kodak that had 3.1MP. But I didn't yet move completely away from my Canon AE-1.

= digicams broke, I replaced them, the pixel count went up, the price went down, so that by about 2007 or so, I could afford an APS-C camera around the cost of my first digicam.

= phone cameras initially sucked, but around this time they were getting better. When they got good enough, people started buying phones partly for their cameras. And started drifting away from digicams.

= DSLRs and mirrorless got really good sometime around 2010-2012. For people who wanted or needed "real" cameras, this was a magic time where the curves of quality, price, and availability all intersected.

= meanwhile, phone cameras got really good. I bought a Galaxy S4, to replace whatever "phone mostly" device I carried at that time, largely for the camera plus browser plus email plus text.

= accelerate to now, where phone cameras can replace anything people were using for family and travel pictures. No need for digicams. No need for pseudo-professional DSLR-like cameras. I upgraded our phones to Galaxy S10s, my wife shoots with a Lumix G85 occasionally, I with a Lumix GX-8, and we have no need to go any further.

= Next phone upgrade might be to Apple.

And so went the camera bubble.

Anonymous said...

Agree with every word.
I would only add that books have become a viable way of getting your art out there again. I even prefer books to exhibitions, mind you I just bought a big printer myself...
Good light, Mark

Christopher Mark Perez said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the changing state of things. It got me rethinking.

Wondering about your ideas on galleries: Are you suggesting they will remain arbiters of "good taste" and "style?" Or will their role evolve into something, as you suggest elsewhere in your comments, "social?"

D Ross said...

May I share this on Facebook?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

D. Ross: Sure.

Greg Heins said...

More and more and more good sense, as I always say when someone else seems to be thinking along the same lines as I am!
I have an exhibition scheduled for the end of April, which might not be far enough into the future for the full return to galleries, but I'll find out, right?

Anonymous said...

I really sounds to me that someone is trying to justify buying a medium format camera :}

Mike Mundy said...

Maybe the "momentum of desire" explains the proliferation of tattoos . . .

Eric Rose said...

You have now reached Maslow's nirvana. Welcome! The view is great!

Eric

karmagroovy said...

Given the two books you're reading, it sounds like you're planning on mindfully investing in the stock market? ;-)

Michael Matthews said...

I’d be very interested in what you find in your search for printing large. I’ve not fallen into the trap of thinking that making it bigger makes it better, but there are a couple of things I’d like to see larger than I was able to print with my 19 X 13 Epson. That’s an expensive place to go exploring though, even among the consumer level providers like Bay Photo. Can’t afford a lot of duds.

Robert Roaldi said...

At one point I thought a market would develop for people doing digital printing, especially in the case of larger prints. The cost of buying and maintaining a large printer might not make sense for the avg amateur who would not use it often enough. But if there were a few printers around town who could do that, especially since we can transfer the files to them electronically these days. I thought that a useful service industry would spring up but it hasn't, so maybe not many people are making large prints.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

https://precisioncamera.photoprintordering.com/printing/categories/enlargements-and-fine-art-prints/45666?sorting=price:desc

https://www.hollandphoto.com/printing-1

https://www.hollandphoto.com/inkjet-giclee

right off the bat there are two well seasoned, large format print suppliers in Austin. Precision camera has plentiful, excellent samples around their giant store in central Austin. I've used them before form large (32 x 32 inch) black and white prints for a show I did of images from Rome. They were spot on.

Holland Photo offers a wider range of services such as printing on large rag papers and can go up even larger than 40x60 inches (which is the limit for Precision). They have printed fine art work for Michael O'Brien, Dan Winters and many other stellar (and picky) photographic artists.

I guess I should just pick one or the other, depending on my needs in the moment. But they do a healthy amount of business and neither of them appear to be leaving the field in the near future. There are also smaller shop in town that do custom, handmade books and one that specializes in prints for gallery shows. I guess we have an embarrassment of riches here. Pays to live in the center of the universe... 😉