7.30.2022

A Chef. And tiny, ancient camera bokeh.


 I took this photo of my friend, Emmett with the ancient and primitive Panasonic G3. Of course, every expert on the planet told me it was impossible to put background sufficiently out of focus with the dainty and limited, teeny-tiny sensor in that camera. I tried anyway. 

I used the version one version of the Leica Summilux 25mm f1.4 with a working aperture of f2.5. The shutter speed was 1/125th of a second and the ISO was set at 640. I think we were able to make it work.

In a moment of incoherence I sold my first 25mm Summilux to another photo blogger. When I got back into the system this past year it was one of the very first lenses I replaced. But this time I bought the second generation. Works better with DfD and it's better weather sealed. Optics are reported to be the same. Those standard angle of view lenses are crucial for every format. At least I think so...

2 comments:

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

No, not possible. You did some sort of AI trickery here. The world-renowned photographers on the infamous D review site can emphatically confirm that good bokeh (whatever that is) is impossible with any camera smaller than "full frame."

Alex said...

I bought the 25mm f1.4 lens partly on the basis of that photoshoot with your chef friend. It was my first prime lens, and remains one of my favourites.

So good that I'm now thinking of refreshing my micro four thirds camera body so I am inspired to continue using it.

I'm currently excited to shoot and learn using the Nikon Z system and some older f1.4 primes from the F mount system (fitted with an adapter). The Nikon 50mm f1.4 G and Sigma ART 35mm f1.4 are both beautiful. Like the tiny Summilux, they both ignite a creative spark through beautiful rendering. But the full-frame weight is not practical for just hanging around my neck in case a photo opp arises. For me they are solely portrait machines - excelling at a different purpose.

Micro four thirds has a habit of coming back to making sense for so much photography, often as a second, lighter system.