10.07.2015

An image made with my original bridge camera, the Sony R1. Worked just fine.


The Sony R1 was an amazing camera. It had a super sharp Zeiss lens that started at 24mm and ended up at 120mm. The chip used the same science as the (almost) legendary Nikon D2X. And it was the first camera I owned with both a very usable EVF and a flipping, tilting, rotating LCD screen.

I used it wherever I could. We did a brochure for the investment company, Raymond James, with the camera as well as the annual report for the Kipp Schools in 2008 (see above).

My foray into the Panasonic fz 1000 is just an extension of my earlier fascination with cameras that really can do everything.

I don't think a camera needs to be pricey to be good. Especially if it's well designed and the lens is good. An amazing amount of photographic content is immune to gear worship. You just have to read the freaking manual and figure out how to use it to your advantage.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Richard Jones said...

Good morning, Kirk

You wrote:

"My foray into the Panasonic fz 1000 is just an extension of my earlier fascination with cameras that really can do everything."

Not quite everything for me: 25mm isn't wide enough for indoor architecture. But hey -- we can have more than one camera system, right?!

As a nature photographer primarily, I've found the FZ1000 an almost dream camera, with a zoom range ideal for what I photograph: from wide scenics, to zooming in on wild life, all without changing lenses (and not having to carry extra lenses while hiking!)

For macro, instead of a separate macro lens, an Achromatic lens mounted gives more than 1:1 for magnification of small flowers.

The Custom Modes and Function Buttons preclude rarely having to go into the Quick Menu. The focus peaking is a marvelous tool for Manual Focusing, and the large 10x magnification screen makes it so easy.

So, that's my take on the FZ1000!

I have a mini-review with samples on my web site:

rsjphoto.net

regards,

Richard