6.29.2017

Canon launches a sensible camera for everyone who doesn't like mirror-free cameras: The 6Dii.

Canon 6Diii. A Daily User. 

Canon just introduced the camera for all the users out in the world who don't want to use mirror-free cameras, don't want to abandon their Canon lenses and who just want a traditional, 26 megapixel, full frame serious shooting camera. I've always liked the "idea" of the original 6D; a no frills, but highly competent, picture taker that doesn't cost a fortune to acquire but, as everyone who reads VSL is probably aware, I do prefer cameras with EVFs. Still, if I had to choose a full frame, traditional DSLR this is exactly what I'd probably go out and buy in August 2017.

Here's what it doesn't have: Super fast frame rates. Continuous AF points spread all across the frame. Any 4K video capability (only 1080p at 60 fps, max.). An EVF. Too much weight.

Here's what will appeal to people who think differently than me: The camera has --- wi-fi and GPS. The camera has a touchscreen.  The camera has a traditional, optical viewfinder (albeit with a slight crop in the viewfinder -- it only shows about 98% of the actual frame).  Did I mention that it has a touchscreen and GPS? You'll know exactly where you were when you initiated "dirty baby diaper hold" on your camera so you could hold it at arm's length and shoot via the rear screen. Touching the shaking camera's rear screen as the sun glances off the surface of said screen and obliterates your view of the subject....

And here's the stuff I think everyone would agree is cool: It's priced (slightly) under $2,000 USD. The battery will last for many, many exposures. The body is very straightforward and anyone who has shot with a traditional DSLR will feel right at home. The 26 megapixel sensor is big enough for 99% of the work anybody does and the frame rate of about 6 fps is plenty fast for anyone who isn't desperately into shooting fast and erratic moving sports. (You would be fine shooting swimming with this because most swimmers are good enough at their sport to swim in straight lines....).  There are plenty of Canon lenses so you'll be able to find the lens you need for just about anything. 

An extra bonus in these times of fear, distrust and declining camera sales might also be that Canon is financially strong and currently leads the entire marketplace for cameras and lenses which means you probably won't have to worry about Canon getting cold feet....like Samsung....and exiting the market. You won't have to worry about the possible dissolution of your camera maker of choice, as Nikon and Pentax users have recently begun to grapple with. You can be more than reasonably certain that Canon will be there to honor your warranty and provide replacement batteries, etc. down the road.

What will you lose and gain by getting this instead of one of the many mirror-free choices? Well, obviously you lose the ability to use optimal, current viewing technologies in the form of the almighty EVF. You also lose the ability to adapt a lot of different third party lenses to your camera (if that appeals to you). You also gain stuff. You get nice, full frame acreage on your sensor which gives you the ability to create a specific look and to control depth of field in a certain way; with fast lenses. You get good battery life. From my experience with Canon you do get very nice handling. You get access to a big catalog of lenses and, more importantly, those lenses are designed to work perfectly with Canon camera bodies. You also get Canon's color science; which many people really like. 

If you don't want mirror-free cameras, or you have an irrational hatred of Sony products, I can think that you'd be able to do a lot worse than putting together a workable system for day to day photography using the 6Dii, the 24-105mm lens, and a couple of accessory lenses (I'd recommend the 70-200mm f4.0 I.S. for starters.....). Who knows, I may get all nostalgic for the old form factor and pick up one myself. It's a tug at the heartstrings of familiarity. And tradition.

Of all the stuff coming out these days, in a very conservative way, this camera makes a lot of good sense. 

Should be available around August 15th. Let's see if Sony can get their A7iii out around the same time...


The top panel looks a lot like every Canon I've ever owned. Maybe the grip is deeper.

4 comments:

Eric Rose said...

I just lent my Nikon D700 to a very good friend. I don't really care if I ever get it back. I'm done with that form factor. Not that I don't have fond memories of the D700. It's been a great camera, just tired of the bulk and lack of EVF. Thanks to YOU Kirk I am now spoiled and can't imagine using anything else. Well except for my 500 C/M. They will have to pry that baby from my cold dead hands.

Ash said...

DSLRs have matured. This new 6D and the 5DIV, the Nikon D5 and D500; its hard to argue with excellent products that build on a long tradition of refinement at doing something really well.

That said, I would struggle to move backward from an electronic viewfinder. The EVF, exposure compensation dial, and histogram overlay are my best friends for getting good exposures on the go.

Thomas said...

My Canon 6D has a shutter count of 75000, using also a Sony A6000 and a Panasonic G6 the upgrade of the 6D will be probably a A7RII. Waiting for the A7RIII to catch a good occasion of a used A7RII body.

Craig Yuill said...

I use both a DSLR and a mirrorless camera. If I need fast AF for stills I use the DSLR. If I want to shoot video I use the mirrorless. If I need fast AF for stills and want to shoot video, I take both. I would rather take just one type of camera. Seeing DSLRs with improved video capabilities (especially with regards to AF) and mirrorless cameras with fast AF excites me. Given that both Canon and Nikon are producing lenses clearly aimed at video shooters I get the feeling that both companies are preparing to make mirrorless cameras using the traditional EF and F mounts. Things are getting interesting in the camera business.