12.20.2018

I snuck in one more new lens before the end of the year.

Iceland. 2018
Panasonic G9. 
Olympus 12-100mm.

I've really been enjoying the Fuji X-H1. I like the way the shutter sounds and I'm pretty impressed with how quiet it is. I'm not using it in the silent mode either; it's just quiet. I am very satisfied with the EVF too. But the one thing that was missing for me was a good portrait lens. The 55mm lenses are really close but just a little short for a traditionalist like me. The 55-200mm zoom is fine for most of the commercial portraits I'll do; in fact, it's actually a very good lens; not just sharp but also capable of creating images that are, for want of a better phrase, likable. It's just that I was missing that fast, prime 90mm-100mm equivalent focal length and it was important to me. 

After a lot of reading, and a few times playing with lenses that my friends have for their Fuji cameras, I decided to buy the 60mm f2.4. Yes, it's not the fastest focusing lens in the system, and in poor light it can hunt just a bit, but my initial tests show the lens is capable of high resolution and sharpness, coupled with a high image likability quotient. 

I took it out for a spin this afternoon and it rides nicely on the X-H1. 

I've got the studio more or less organized now and I'm ready to start taking portraits on my home turf again so I'll have the opportunity to use the lens in a concentrated burst after next week. 

A word to anyone considering this lens for their Fuji cameras: Huge. The lens hood is huge. But unlike some reviewers I see this as a distinct plus. It's metal, robust, and does a great job blocking all non-image forming light. If you think it's too indiscreet you can always........remove it. I'll keep mine on. Mostly for the theoretical increase in contrast but also because I think it looks cool.

More adventures with the 60mm to come.

3 comments:

Henk said...

Kirk,
I think it will make a good studio portrait lens, I was disappointed with it as a close-up lens. But then I am used to the Panasonic 45mm F/2.8 Leica DG macro-elmarit. Here's a link if you want to improve the lens hood: https://www.prophotonut.com/2012/05/09/fuji-x-pro1-60mm-lens-hood-mask-and-filter-step-up-fix/
Have fun.
Henk

Anonymous said...

Hey very nice website!! Guy .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I'll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also?
I'm satisfied to seek out so many useful info right here in the
put up, we'd like work out more strategies on this regard, thank you for sharing.
. . . . .

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I learn something new and challenging
on sites I stumbleupon everyday. It's always exciting to read through content from other writers and use a little something
from their websites.