10.23.2019

Day of the Dead; "Dia de los Meurtos" is popping up all over Central Texas. Let's go.


Parades, costumes, altars, and more are on the schedule in the last week of October and the first week of November here in Central Texas. I'm going to the "Viva la Vida" parade, here in Austin on Saturday, October 26th (I think it starts at noon on East 6th St.) to photograph the costumes and the people. I'm also bringing along the Lumix S1 in full video mode so I can get a taste of the V-Log profile in action. I think that camera, along with the 24-120mm lens, the audio adapter and an Aputure Diety microphone will make a nice, handheld rig... The jury is still out on which camera I'll use for photographs.

After Austin I'll head down to San Antonio for their three day event for the holiday at La Villita in downtown. That will be Friday, Saturday and Sunday (the 1st, 2nd and 3rd of November). I'm sure it's going to be a big deal and admission to the event is free. I'm going for the costumes and the food. 

San Antonio knows how to celebrate big-ly so I'm probably going to book a hotel room on Friday and Saturday so I don't miss anything. 

It's bound to be a street photographer's paradise.... 

Here are the details for the Austin event on the 26th: http://mexic-artemuseumevents.org/upcoming-events/2019/10/26/viva-la-vida-parade

Live far from Austin? Get those airline tix now!


Now that's how you do a back door!!!










6 comments:

MikeR said...

The company my wife works for scheduled their annual sales conference in San Antonio a couple of years ago, coincidentally the same week as Halloween, Day of the Dead, and Comic-Con. What a feast for a camera.

Ray said...

Kirk, if you were out for a walk of, say, five miles or 90 minutes, how many pictures would you typically take?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

I dunno. Maybe 50 or 100.

Rufus said...

I struggle to see what the S1 and 24-105 can do with video that the G9 and 12-100 Oly cannot do ..

Or am I missing something?

Michael Matthews said...

Following up on the comment from Rufus....
Now that you've spent a year or so shooting full frame and APS-C, do you feel M4/3rd cameras like the G9 are no longer relevant?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

HI MM and Rufus, We'll get the obvious thing out of the way first: I get bored and love to change equipment around. I am not logical and not overly constrained to watch my budget so I try new stuff mostly for the fun of it. That said, other than the difference in the way sensor size affects focus ramping and also provides lower noise there's not much difference between what I can get from the Panasonic m4:3 cameras and the S1. The one quasi-advantage of the S1 is the broader V-Log that comes from their pro Vari-Cam gear.

If I had an Olympus 12-100mm f2.0 I doubt I'd see much difference between the two systems...

I do like the bigger bodies but that's something I could equal by putting grips on the smaller cameras...

The finder in the S1 is spectacular but isn't format dependent.

It is fun to fantasize about eventually buying one or two spectaclar L-Mount primes from Leica ---- maybe ---- some day.