12.18.2019

A fun photo. Playing around at the edge of the shooting envelope...

Jen. The choreographer for Zach's production of "Christmas Carol." 

Lighting? Crappy. All available, top lit, florescent fixtures from the 1970's positioned three stories up in the black ceiling.  Exposure? Super-crappy. I needed f1.4 at 1/250th with ISO 4000 to get a useable image (faster shutter speed needed for moving parts!). Color? Ultimately bad. Jangly greenish florescent color in older fixtures with loud ballasts that caused random but frequent banding and exposure swings from frame to frame. 

With all the things lined up against this shot why did I want to shoot it and why am I happy to show it here? I wanted to shoot it to get a different documentation of an early rehearsal in the short life of a big musical production. I wanted to see just how much I could squeeze out of a Fuji X-H1 with a 56mm f`1.2 mounted on it. And I wanted to see how close I could get the color to something pleasing from a grand soup of stinky color. 

Why am I happy to show it here? Because I love Jen's gesture. I love humorous effect of the bodies flying out of frame in the top two corners. I love the bedding textures and I love the objects sliding off into focus oblivion on the far, back wall. So, I'm just sharing an image from what Ming Thein would call, "The Edge of the Envelope." 


No comments: