12.21.2019

Following the black and white film image is a color one from a Leaf Afi 7 medium format camera.

Cherie.

This photograph was made as part of my second book project, the one on studio lighting. I did it in my small studio with a Leaf 40 megapixel medium format camera and a Schneider 180mm f2.8 MF lens. It was a beast of a camera to shoot since it was manual focus (and hard to nail focus) and ate through batteries like crazy. But when I went back to examine the original files in detail the color and resolution were really, really great. Which made post processing flesh tones much easier when compared to the 35mm type digital cameras of the day (2009). Now, while the resolution of the sensor has been eclipsed, I find that I still like the look of the files from this camera since they were a legit 16 bit raw image with lots and lots of latitude. The image is still competitive with current camera output. And the lens.....let's just say few, if any, makers have come out with anything better.

Interesting to think that this combination cost somewhere north of $40,000 at the time and now you can buy into a more capable 100 MP camera for around $10,000. That seems like progress to me....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.