12.02.2019

What am I reading right now? It's a book by Chase Jarvis. I'm actually recommending it.


I've always been wary of people who are too overtly positive and forthright. I was leery of the "Chase Phenomenon" when he was shooting all the silly Kung Fu action shots and putting them up on YouTube, but you know what? He's actually written a great book for people who need a good shove in the direction of either starting out or re-embracing their creative self. Getting projects started. And finished.

Most of what he writes is, in some ways, similar to the work of Stephen Pressfield (and just how many times have I recommended "The War of Art"??? -fixed 12/4, thank you kind reader!) but he leavens it with enough very practical advice to kickstart a tired old pro back onto the path or to energize a young wannabe pro who's having trouble getting out the door and into the mix. He's also a good story teller.

I was feeling a bit depressed on Saturday. I felt as though I'd lost my personal, creative energy. My reason to photograph. My inspiration. I went for a walk and ended up at a book store called, Book People. It's a store I've been patronizing for decades. I rummaged around for a while. I looked at photo books. I looked at novels and finally I ended up in a dark corner on the second floor; the kind of place that hipsters and artists relegate business books to. I saw the word "Creative" on a spine and pulled the book from the shelf. It was by Chase Jarvis. I thought I'd take a chance.

This is no thin volume. It's about 300 pages and it's actually packed with inspiration, stories and practical advice for overcoming resistance, figuring out what you really want to be doing and laying out good plans to get to your destination. This book is about finding your way, not setting up shots. There are no photographs, no gear discussions, no lighting diagrams. It's not that kind of book!!!

I need to let go of my prejudices...turns out Chase is a better writer than he is a photographer. And that's  saying something because he's a pretty darn good photographer.

If you are happy and on the right path you probably don't need this book. If you're stuck and you need both a pathway forward and a good kick in the seat of the pants, well, this one might be just what the doctor ordered. As soon as I finish reading my (paid full price and don't know Chase personally) copy I'm handing it off to Ben...

If you've retired and now have some time on your hands and you feel like you're just not getting stuff done... pony up and read.


4 comments:

atmtx said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I can always use an infusion of creative energy and more power to overcome resistance.

Gato said...

Thanks. I didn't buy the Jarvis book yet, but you did move me to revisit Stephen Pressfield. I had a couple of his titles handy on my phone already. It has been few years, so maybe it's time to read again.

John Haugaard said...

"Art of War", "War of Art". You say tomato, . . .

Zack S said...

Thanks for the tips. I just put these on hold on our library interloan system.