4.01.2020

In a great mood this morning. Here's why:

 I can't do much about a pandemic. Sure, I can do my part by staying away from everyone and washing my hands a lot, but I can't cure a virus or save jobs. I can't do anything for the people who may not make it through this except to remember them and remember them well. But I can appreciate what I still have and what we still have. I can decide to worry a little and then put that worry aside to make room for daily doses of happiness and joy.

We got up late and it was still just 55 degrees outside. We went for a walk together and the sun was nestled into one of the clearest blue skies I've seen. As we left our house we looked up at our little forest of giant live oak trees and marveled at how healthy they look right now. They'd been a bit leaf-sparse and wane in the Fall and we had them deep fertilized. They appreciated our efforts and are rewarding us with a lush green canopy.

As we walked through our neighborhood we talked about the news of the day. Things will get worse. Then they will get better. Hope is more pleasant than despair. Everyone in our families is healthy for now. We hope it stays that way. It's true that I can't swim right now; I would but the pools are all closed. But I also love walking and so I walk for an hour with Belinda in the mornings and I take a longer and brisker walk later in the day. Videos about swimming technique help remind me of what I need to work on, technique-wise, when the pools re-open.

We've lived through recessions many times with little but residual fumes in our bank accounts but this time around we're coming off a prosperous year and many profitable assignments. I'm still wrapping up a few projects. We can coast for a while. No panicking in 2020...

Austinites, in general, seems to be hewing to the new rules about social distancing and community safety. We're not a big hot spot yet. I hope we, as a community, continue to work on our efforts to stay safe. We'll have streamlined coffee to-go practices in no time...

I worked on my home coffee techniques yesterday and I made a perfect cup of coffee today. Absolutely perfect. I think I've got a winning formula figured out which dulls my ardor for coffee from the outside. I miss seeing familiar faces and hearing the steam release from the espresso machines. 

We've been eating well. Last night it was fresh trout with a lemon caper sauce, roasted cauliflower and mashed sweet potatoes. We're stocked up with groceries and produce for at least the next week and a half. 

We're staying entertained. I love writing the blog. We both love reading novels, and last night I splurged and paid Amazon  for a rental on the latest Star Wars movie, which we missed at the theaters. So, $6 bucks for an evening of entertainment. We even made popcorn. And, happily, no teen agers texting in the rows in front of us...

I seem to have lost my insistent desire for a constant flow of new cameras. I'm saving thousands of dollars at a whack. I've deduced that part of my ability to rationalize even the most extravagant investments in cameras was based partly on the idea that I needed this or that new camera so I could deliver the latest expert results to my clients. I could justify the expense in the moment with the promise that each new piece would help leverage my skills into more profitable engagements. 

When all clients go away so does that rationale. Now I seem happy to shoot for days and weeks with the same small collection of really good cameras. So far I'm even resisting the lure of the Leica song.
While prices on used Leica SL camera bodies drop so has my interest. Will it resume when our confinement is over? Let's find out!

I stay in touch with you on this blog. I stay in touch with other friends via texts and phone calls. I stay in touch with Belinda by walking into the house and checking in. I do miss Studio Dog. She would have loved having us both home for 23 hours a day....

Funny, when we were constantly busy we complained about not having the time to slow down, relax and do the projects we thought we always wanted to do for ourselves. When we were busy making money we groused about not having time to travel. And now fate is making us come to grips with what is really important to us. It's not the hobbies so much, and it's not the travel. The most wonderful thing, and the thing we miss most, is sharing time with family and friends. Big dinners together. Fun happy hours. Meeting for coffee and breakfast tacos. But we'll try our best to make up for that in the near future. 

In times when all the news is bad and we can't have a fix or solution to fall back on it's a good practice to take time to savor the stuff we really love about life and to do a little inventory about everything that brings us joy. 

I never realized how much I took my house for granted. But it's so comfortable and inviting. I can spend hours in a big, upholstered chair in a corner, just reading a book. Occasionally closing my eyes and just feeling how great it is to breathe. Our house is situated on a big, half acre lot and our neighbors to every side are distant and blocked by trees and landscaping. Even this close to downtown it's serene and quiet on the back porch. That's where I like to eat my Greek Yogurt mixed with berries and muesli. It's almost become a ritual. If I'm lucky I see hawks spiraling around up above and there's a black squirrel in the yard that used to taunt Studio Dog. He comes as close as he can to where I'm sitting, almost daring me to chase him.

It's enough in the quiet moments to remember just how lucky we have been... 



I inherited this coffee cup from my father. Also my appreciation for coffee....

I am happy that it is still legal to walk around with a camera; as long as we follow the 
social distancing rules. 



Trader Joe's grocery store has frozen croissant which you have to allow to rise and then bake.
They are delicious. I keep a box in the freezer, next to the box of Lava Cakes. 

There is something absolutely luxurious about going to bed as late as you want
and sleeping in or lounging around in bed until you get bored....

Over the years I'd gotten into the habit of taking my showers at the pool. 
I'd forgotten how comfortable and well appointed my bathroom is at home.
I now relish a hot shower after my walks but before dinner.




If we lose electrical power and the internet I've cleverly kept a Nikon F and a brick of Tri-X on hand so I don't miss the opportunity to document the moments.

Austin gets more and more beautiful the fewer cars there are on the roads.



Some day soon swimming will NOT be dangerous.
(the sign above was from Iceland. You'd have to be crazy to swim in the 
33 degree bay....)
















I'm fortunate to have experienced the Spanish Steps in Rome before sitting on them became a crime.
I will go back to Italy as soon as it is safe and will spend as much money as I can eating well 
and helping our Italian friends rebuild their tourist economy. 

We haven't had this much free time for our art since we were students in our 20s. 




More time to linger with great photo books. 
Deeper dives into the history of photography. From a certain point of view. 


It's love that keeps hope alive. It's hope that keeps love alive.

Coffee in Canada tastes as good as it does in Austin. 

I miss the museums so much...


Loving the his and hers Subarus. 
Four wheel powered automotive delight.





Getting to know you. Getting to know all about you.....




Sorry to go off topic (photography) but I felt good about life today and wanted to share it. 

Might be a fleeting gesture but I don't think so. We're looking forward to the future but not at the expense of the present....

Much happiness to everyone. KT

14 comments:

Don Karner said...

Simply wonderful writing.

Indeed, this is a time for reflection. Thanks for your efforts.

Eric Rose said...

Thanks Kirk,

Eric

Chuck Albertson said...

Sorry to be bearing bad news, but Austin is about to reap the spring break whirlwind: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/us/coronavirus-texas-austin-spring-break-cabo.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Andy said...

What is it we keep being told: health, family, friends. The best of all three to you...it's always a pleasure to check in for something away from you know what.

Hendrik Demey said...

Now that you have all that free time, why not adopt a young dog? Will keep you occupied for hours and hours.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Nice thought, but too soon.

christer3805 said...

You said: " I love writing the blog".

Yes, that's the impression I get.

Good for me you love writing the blog. I love reading it.

Ann said...

Thanks for this post Kirk. It’s good to appreciate what you have . And although social isolation can be hard there is also the pleasure in spending time with your partner. And knowing when to give them a bit of space. We are donating to a homeless charity here in Sydney as it must be so hard to not have your own place. Also restricting time spent watching the news...I can get into a slump easily if I watch too much. Zoom is good for keeping in touch with friends.
We lost our old dog last year and missed her terribly. Four weeks ago before all the lock downs we got Rosie...a 10 month old lab who was considered to be a bit timid for assistance training. Well she has really brightened up our lives and is certainly much less timid now! She is a joy, really smart, really affectionate and a bit of a comedian. LOVES long walks so that is our excuse for being out each day.

Wess Gray said...

Grasshopper, When time for dog, dog will have time!

Matt Kallio said...

Love the picture of the Subarus practicing social distancing.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Belinda and I love our Subarus. Most fun vehicle I've owned yet.

jiannazzone said...

Just “Thank You”

Mike Marcus said...

This is, I think, maybe your best post ever! The first paragraph is perhaps the best of the best. Thank you.

GGeradts said...

I once owned a Legacy, the only car I ever bought new in 1991.
There is a rallygame called “Dirt 2.0” for xbox, Playstation or PC. It features the first gen Legacy. Driving it down unpaved tracks is a, though superficial, delight.
Keep safe, greetz from Vleuten