4.13.2020

Where am I sheltering in place? A few pix.

This little building sits just in front of our house and is
my studio, office, photo cave and storage area.
When we bought the house some 23 years ago this structure was a two car carport,
the only distinguishing feature of which was a high ceiling.
We got right to work making it into a photo production facility. 
We've literally done millions of dollars of photography and video 
production with this small space as H.Q. 

I thought it would be interesting to see where people are when they have to shelter in place. Since I can't hop on a plane and go around visiting each person's home turf I thought I'd put mine up and show you where I spend about 22 hours a day. At least from a business point of view. I'll photograph the house interior when I clean up all the stacks of books, etc. 

We are fortunate to live and work on the same plot of land. It's in the rolling hills just south of the Colorado River and a few miles west of downtown Austin. We're close to everything but we have the joy of living in a quiet and established neighborhood filled with trees and broad, quiet streets. 

The studio door sits about 16 feet from the front door to the house. 
Makes it easy to work on files up to the last possible moment before dinner...
It's always a mess because I'm always trying out a new piece of gear, 
shooting something to illustrate a blog post, or actually doing 
business for my clients. 

This is the reverse angle from the image above.
There's about 600 square feet (and it is square...) in the main room 
and then a closet with solid core doors that runs along the south side of the room (on the right) for gear and archive storage. 
The ceiling is 14 feet at the peak.

This is a wide angle view of one part of the backyard. 
It's where I used to sit on our bench at sunset with Studio Dog.
We'd smell the air together and eat treats. On the other side of the 
trees are more trees, and then more trees and, about 150 feet away....a neighbor.

A different angle of the same back yard with part of the house in the background.

Here is the overly landscaped stone walkway leading up to the front of the house.
Go right for the house door and go left for the studio door. 
Love the Japanese Maple in the center...

This is the south side yard. 
With a 150+ foot long fence built to keep Tulip and (when younger) Ben safe from skunks, 
marauding deers and the few raccoons who were 
too lazy to climb over or under. 

The screened in back porch and my favorite bench for eating yogurt with fresh blackberries
 and watching storms blow infrom the west. Quiet and peaceful. 

By mutual agreement this was Tulip's side of the yard.
She could roam anywhere but she liked this side because she could roll in the sun, lay in the grass and still keep an eye on us in the kitchen and dining room through glass double French doors. 
And we could keep an eye on her...

Early this morning, just before full sunrise, there was a nice little herd of deer out in our front yard. I suspect they were there to admire my fabulous Subaru Forester but Belinda assures me they were there to nibble on the landscape. A rock wall separates our front yard from the street so the deer feel a bit protected, I guess. 

I could tell by some of the divets in the front yard that an armadillo had been by in the night, digging for grubs, and as we set off for our first walk of the day a fox ran out of the foliage in the side yard and careened so gracefully into the neighbor's yard, and disappeared. 

Having your office at home is pretty wonderful. I'd been paying $1800 a month for warehouse studio space in downtown Austin back in 1996. We also owned and lived in a condo in Tarrytown which was not cheap. When we had Ben we wanted to move into the best school district in the state and when we found this place we had been looking for nearly two years for the right property. Being able to fold both uses into one location meant cutting our outlay for real estate by nearly half.

Now that the house is paid for it's like getting office and studio space for free. The location is super; it's about a mile to the swimming pool (I hope it will open again someday...) and we are less than a mile away from all three schools Ben attended. Being in the middle of a beautiful neighborhood I'm able to work on stuff in the studio; maybe a portrait or product shot, or some post production, then put on a pair of running shoes and head out the front door to run, with giant trees providing shade nearly every step of the way. 

Our street is a long dead end so there's no cut through traffic. We only see neighbors, people working on new houses and remodels, and delivery services. No manic speeders or lost souls...

When I finish a run I can head right into the house for a shower and a cold drink of water and then head right back out to work. 

The studio is big enough for most still life projects and all kinds of individual portraits. If we need more space for a bigger production we can move the furniture out of the living room in the house and then we have a 24 by 48 foot shooting space with 18 foot ceilings. When we're not using it for a shoot it's a comfortable place to sit around and watch movies. Or, before the crisis, to entertain friends...

This where we're hunkered down for the current crisis. I find it quite adequate. Comfortable.





10 comments:

crsantin said...

Beautiful property, thanks for sharing Kirk. You are quite lucky to have a little building all to yourself to work in. Studio space is the only thing missing from our home. Like you, we live in a nice quiet area on a court with only 8 other homes so no through traffic. I would love a studio space. When we bought this home a dozen years ago it was the nicest one we could afford. We will be mortgage-free in about 4 years. I don't think I could do condo living. We've discussed moving out to the country on a little piece of property somewhere and one day we just might, though we are very happy in our current home. It looks like our oldest boy will be getting married at some point soon-nothing official, just reading the tea leaves-and my wife won't want to be too far from any grandchildren so we'll see. This is a very surreal time and while I'm busy working at home I find myself really evaluating what it all means and what kind of life I want to have moving forward. Usually, my wife and I are pedal to the metal, doing the daily grind. I'm beginning to think we shouldn't live like that when this is over.

Malcolm said...

Looks like a lovely place to live and to ride out the current storm. We have less space in the UK, but thankfully we do have a reasonable garden for the children to play in. We are in the middle of getting a larger house built in my wife's hometown. We had just bulldozed her old bungalow and were ready to start laying foundations when the lockdown started. We had hoped to move in about this time next year. Now we'll just have to wait and go with the flow. I'll just be grateful if we either don't get the virus or at least have the milder symptoms.

I almost booked a trip to Austin this year for a conference. Of course, it's been postponed until the Autumn, but in reality I'll be surprised if it goes ahead this year. Maybe 2021.

J Williams said...

We did something similar in 2001. We were already in the best school district, but the house was a bit small for me to work in along with my wife who was planning to stay at home when our second child came along. We moved and made sure not to leave the school district. We moved into a house about 1.5x the size, but also with a 3 acre lot. Perfect spot to build a detached garage with an office above it. About 3 days into living in our newfound house 911 happened and the ensuing tech downturn. Garage/offce was put on hold for several years. Business did return to a level allowing for the building of the desired office space but by then I'd already tired of taking care of a larger house and a much larger yard. Didn't feel like taking on more space to take care of. Luckily the house is laid out well for working for home. It is a ranch, but there is a room over the attached garage that is completely separate from the rest of the house. Managed to work there while 2 kids grew up downstairs doing what kids do (making noise among other things). It's worked out fine in the end. Still would like to have that garage though. Gonna need it for the Porsche one day (mine's gonna be a Cayman GTS - one day).

bishopsmead said...

Thanks for showing us your workplace and the beautiful surroundings that you relax in before and after work; so sorry that the loss of studio dog is so raw, we suffered a loss in similar circumstances a few days before Christmas and I still wake up some mornings and wonder why the house is so quiet (I was reminded of my responsibilities quite forcibly if I tried to snatch an extra 1/2 hour in the morning)! Keep well and keep your family safe. Thanks again for your generous spirit in writing for us every day.

Wess Gray said...

Great to see your digs! I always enjoy seeing where other photographers work, probably around 50 of them through the years. Is your fence a cedar painted green? If it is, why, I've never seen that before, in Oklahoma no one paints theirs. Thank you.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Wess, Thanks. And the fence is indeed cedar and painted green. It was that way when we moved in and it looked great to us so every time we get the house trim repainted we have the painters do the fence as well. Except for a little bit of fence out front that had to be replaced (wore out after 23 years...) and I stupidly volunteered to paint it myself. Never again. Manual labor is highly overrated...

Anonymous said...

Perfect set up for a photographer in this day and age. You seem to have things figured out on so many levels. I want to be you when I grow up.

George said...

Wait a minute...are you sure that's Texas, it's too green. Where are all the tumbleweeds?????

Ray said...

You're a very lucky soul. Not because of the property, or even because of your wonderful 35 marriage, but because you have the good sense to be satisfied with what you have. You have every right to feel good about yourself.

garyB said...

Kirk, Congratulations it's a wonderful milestone, and yes you have been quite blessed. Although I envy your humble abode, the real value for you is you're both blessed with good health. I know that sounds trite but I'm 66 have a routine similar to yours and it remains the one thing I feel truly blessed to have, every day is never a given. May you and your family celebrate many more milestones together.