7.19.2020

Emmett Fox, owner and executive chef at Asti Trattoria.
In Austin, Texas.

I was sitting in a comfortable chair reading a book late yesterday afternoon when I looked out the window and saw that the sky had turned quite beautiful. I caught myself wishing I had some assignment or any reason at all to be out photographing and taking advantage of all that sweet, late day light. I re-oriented my thinking just a bit and remembered that my friend, Emmett and his partner, Lisa were re-opening their restaurant this week for take out. Their patio was also re-opening too. Just no dining room right now...

I decided that Emmett would be a great subject to photograph so I grabbed the Lumix G9 with the 25mm Meike Cine lens, as well as my trusty iPhone and headed over to the Hyde Park neighborhood, just north of the UT Law School, in the center of Austin.

Emmett and I walked together for exercise earlier in the week but he was still surprised to see me show up with my camera. I shot a bunch of images of the restaurant exterior with my iPhone (auto HDR can be a wonderful thing...) and then got serious with my G9 and the 25mm.

This weekend is the 20th anniversary for their business and I've been a delighted customer every step of the way. Emmett and I also swim together in the masters program at The Western Hills Athletic Club. 
The thought of them working the 20th anniversary of the restaurant without some photos to document the occasion seemed wrong. Sitting around in my chair while the light sparkled and amazed seemed lazy and stupid. Sometimes it's incumbent on us lazier photographers to push ourselves just a little harder.

Two big benefits to my impromptu photo session: 1. Emmett and Lisa sent me home with tiramisu for two (amazing, delicious, comforting, fattening --- but in a good way). and, 2. I know Emmett can't repurpose this series of breathtaking portraits for his passport because of the face mask!!!
Emmett Fox, owner and executive chef at Asti Trattoria.
In Austin, Texas.

Emmett greets me in front of the restaurant. Mask and apron, the new norm.

Ben, Belinda and I have been coming here on as many evenings as we could 
over the last 20 years. Ben had his first escargot here. And his first sorbettos. We are 
all addicted to their house made bread sticks and focaccia. I love Emmett's 
fried artichoke hearts with aioli. 
Belinda is a fan of any risotto they happen to make.

Lisa and Emmett Fox. In front of Asti. Ready to feed you!

All images available light. Really nice available light. 

iPhone.
ISO 25!

8 comments:

Ken said...

Kirk - I've been reading your blog for years and this is my first time to comment. We live in Georgetown and occasionally travel to Austin (pre-pandemic) to enjoy the restaurants. Asti is one of our favorites. The white bean dip with truffle oil and crostini are unforgettable. My photography mostly involves shooting shorebirds at the coast with a Canon 7d and assorted lenses. Kind of like portrait photography, but the client won't hold still and is afraid of you. And the lighting is generally a problem because the best activity is at dawn and dusk. Also wanted to let you know that your swimming stories inspired me a few years ago to start lap swimming again after a multi-year hiatus. It's a great way to stay in shape and to me is one of the best stress relievers out there. Thanks for an interesting and informative blog!

Unknown said...

Love this so much. I had planned to be there this year for the anniversary, but covid. I would love to purchase a photo of Emmett and Lisa in front of Asti for our mom.

Anonymous said...

Lovely set of photos - the portraiture in particular makes a good argument for the oft-repeated mantra about eyes being windows to the soul.

Mark

typingtalker said...

Pictures that hold the most information and tell (or hint at) a story are the best -- in this case the two BW photos. And I like the last "ASTI OPEN" color photo because it gives (or would give if edited that way) the story a dramatic opening.

No picture of the tiramisu?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

t.t. while delicious and quick to disappear, the tiramisu was packaged in a to-go container which limited its visual presentation. I'd rather wait until such a time as I can make a photograph that's as good as the product.

karmagroovy said...

Fantastic set! You're absolutely right, the light is just wonderful in these shots.

Frank said...

Your color images in this post have a green cast over them, you can see this very well when you open them in PS and do an auto level. My monitor is old, but calibrated :)

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Frank, ?. Does this matter?