7.17.2020

OT: Kirk's ramble about stuff. Today we start out with swim goggles...



This is the usual time on Friday's during which I look at the stats for the blog and wonder where everyone went. We had been averaging 4,000+ readers per day but now it's slipped to about 2,500. Maybe, in a way, this confirms my post from yesterday about the state of the market. Fewer people (who read English language blogs) are interested in photography than at any time since I started writing blog posts. Either that or the quality of my writing has finally fallen through the bottom of the web content safety net and we're plunging toward the abyss of irrelevance.

I guess I don't really care what the reason is since I enjoy writing the blog and will continue to do so until Google pulls the plug on Blogger and entropy keeps me from turning to some other publishing  substitute. And since that's my attitude I think I'll just proceed with what I had in mind to write after I made a cup of coffee for the afternoon.

You think the switch to digital changed photography? Well, just imagine how big a boost it was for swimming when, back in the very early 1970s, swimmers started finding workable and semi-comfortable goggles to wear while working out in chlorinated pools!!! I've been swimming long enough to remember when goggles were a rarity in most programs. We'd pound away at swim practices and then head home with bloodshot eyes and a hazy cloud reducing our visual acuity. It's a wonder most of us can still see today.

Now there is an avalanche of choices in the goggle "sector" and it's dominated by Tyr, Speedo, Arena, Roka, and Barracuda. My pair right now are the Speedo Vanquisher 2.0 goggles. They provide a tight seal around the eyes without having to be strapped on too tightly. I also like the Tyr version with the red surrounds but I have no idea what the model name (or number) is; I only know that I have six pairs of the Tyrs in various states of utility so I must have liked them a lot for a while.

It's possible to pay up to $100 for a pair of swim goggles but, get this! I've been swimming with competitive programs for decades and have never spent more than $18 on a pair of goggles. Can you imagine if I could maintain this sort of discipline in my pursuit of cameras?

The Speedo Vanquisher 2.0s ($16-$18) that I have now come in an optically clear version and a dark shaded version and I have one set of each. I've been using the clear ones lately for the 6 a.m. workouts so I can actually see my lane mate at the other end of the pool in the early morning darkness. Yes, we have underwater pool lights but in breaks between sets it's great to see your partner and yell back and forth about the particulars of the next set. Better still, you can see them getting ready to take off on the set which is your cue to also start.

If I go to a later workout, at a time when it's already light outside, I switch to the deep gray lensed goggles which are also UV resistant. It's a lot more comfortable that dealing with the glare of the sun through non-tinted plastic.

Why does anyone need more than two pairs? Because all the swim goggles are made of plastic which eventually becomes scratched and optically marred. You never know when you'll hit that tipping point of no longer wanting to look through a visual mess of scratches and surface abrasion to you keep a new pair around in your swim bag for the day you find yourself ready to switch.

Why bring a second pair with you to the poolside? Goggles are unpredictable. A pair can work fine for a year; maybe even two, and then one day without warning the seal along the eyecup will no longer seal properly and you'll have one or the other eyecup fill up with water as you push off the wall, flip turn, etc. Once you do swim practices with goggles in a chlorinated pool you'll never want to try to go the distance again without having that back-up pair stuffed in with your other swim paraphernalia at poolside and that means you can do a quick change and not miss the sets you've signed up and paid to swim.

What other failures do goggles exhibit? The weak spot for me with goggles has always been the rubber or silicone strap that holds the goggles onto your face. Now that new materials are being used it doesn't happen as often but the combination of chlorine and UV radiation breaks down most elastic materials and eventually causes them to fail. Tugging too hard on a strap end in order to tighten it is the prevailing cause of strap failure. This is another reason to keep a second set poolside. Sure, in the quiet comfort of your own suburban home, surrounded by your nicely mowed yard, it's pretty easy to replace the broken strap with a new one. But in the middle of a workout, in a shared lane, during a coached session, it makes a hell of a lot more sense to grab your back-up, deck-resident goggles and get right back into the mix. You can fix the casualties over a quiet cup of coffee on your own time.

I keep goggles everywhere. There are three pairs in my main swim bag which I take to every workout. The swim bag also has hand paddles and a pull buoy as well as a set of fins and a collection of different sunscreens.

I keep two pairs in the car in case (God forbid!!!) I forget the swim bag or lose it. I'll still want to swim and with the car goggles and an extra pair of jammers (swim suit) in the trunk of the car I can still make it through a workout without stressing over lost swim opportunity.

Oddly enough, I also keep a couple pairs in my main camera bag on the presumption that I might find myself near a pool or clean lake, waiting for the light to get cool, or a client to show up, and decide to take advantage of the scheduling gap to hop in the convenient body of water for a swim. With two pairs in the camera bag I can always be magnanimous and offer a pair for the client to use.

I realized the importance of goggles for workouts back in high school. We put in a lot of yardage. We hit the pool five days a week at 5:30 in the morning and had a second practice each afternoon. We also did a long Saturday morning practice. By the end of a typical day our eyes looked like Zombie eyes. Read and weepy. Sometimes a bit painful.

I had a date once with a beautiful swimmer on whom I had a crush. We went out to a very fun and trendy Mexican food restaurant on our first date and I would have loved to have stared into her eyes and she into mine. But we'd both spent too much time in the pool and both of us were so visually impaired by the time we got to the restaurant that our eyes watered too much to even read the menu. I figured that when swimming goggle-less hampered one's dating life it was time to take definitive action. I bought us both goggles and we started wearing them to every workout. After a while it became standard.

And, that added equipment was a good thing for teenage swimmers. The last thing you want a police officer to see if they pull you over for a traffic infraction is a kid with bloodshot and bleary eyes. And back in the days of hot cars and cavalier teens the "pull over/stern lecture" happened more often than one might imagine.

So, how do you keep your goggles from fogging up when the water is cold or the outside air temp drops? If you have no other recourse you let a few drops of water in each eyecup, put on the goggles, and then, when swimming, you tilt your head down and let the water wash across the inner surface of the lens. There are also anti-fog liquids you can buy that are specifically made for swim goggles. Speedo makes the most popular formula. I find that it doesn't work much better than a bit of human spit and a quick clean with a human tongue.

Hope your swimming is coming along well and that I can offer you other swim oriented tidbits when the photography entries become too boring. After looking at today's stats I decided it was an appropriate time to start....


8 comments:

Victor Bloomfield said...

It's finally clear to me why I enjoy reading your blog each day: You're an avatar of rational(ized) over-consumption. Thanks.

Ann said...

Hi Kirk...I have finally settled on Speedo goggles as well. I think I have an odd shaped face and have had so much trouble over the years with leaking goggles and bloodshot eyes that I almost gave up swimming for good. But I didn’t as it is addictive....particularly in ocean pools...and makes me feel good. I enjoy your posts on swimming. Ann

G Gudmundsson said...

I read your blog daily and have for years. Your writing has not deteriorated. :-) Thank you!

EdB said...

I never could get used to Speedos, but the Aquasphere line fits me like a glove. Oddly enough my wife and I had a "discussion" just yesterday as to why I had 3 pairs in my swim bag (1 clear, 1 Smoke and 1 Smoke/Mirror) ;)

Greg Heins said...

I don’t swim (well, I do if I’m in a lake) but now you’ve got me thinking I should keep a couple of pair of goggles in my camera bag. What the hell. Can’t hurt....

Anonymous said...

Ahh, you're giving me flashbacks to my teenage swimming years with this post.

I'd say I'm a badminton player now, except the sports halls haven't reopened here yet.

Hopefully soon. Walking is okay, but I'm missing the endorphin rush.

Regardless of sport the cost and range of kit is impressive these days. For all but the elite level athletes midrange gear is usually the sweet spot for durability and performance. I'll still look to buy my racquets unstrung though. Factory stringing just can't match the work of our local shop.

Mark

Fred said...

I know I am late to the party here. I started writing this two days ago and after a couple of edits here it is. And Kirk, once again it makes me aware of how fast and how good your writing is.
I am a slacker. I only have three pair of goggles and one pair is very old and very uncomfortable and leaks, one pair is starting to leak, and the last pair is working ok for now. The last two pairs are the so-called “fitness” style, i.e. bigger and would end up around my neck if I tried a start off the blocks which is not allowed at the "Y" where I have been swimming. I will give the ones you recommend a look.
Your talk of bleary eyes brings back memories. When I swam in high school and college back in the sixties (I graduated from college 50 years ago this past spring) no one knew about goggles. We did know about seeing the world through bleary eyes. Between the eye problems, sometimes cloudy water and for us backstrokers often no turning markers “interesting” turns and occasional body damage were common.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the late comment on this, but I saw this swimming pool photography project, and thought of you.

https://flashbak.com/photographer-updates-postcards-of-1960s-resorts-into-their-abandoned-ruins-388534/?ref=briefingday.com&curator=briefingday.com&fbclid=IwAR0ClErNUObRsJKxKAZ41nOALYcEManA8loI91r_z1QY-PRFPRrVxkaBe8o&utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork

Mark